• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radar Knowledge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Operating radar is a skill-set that needs to be properly taught, and refined through operational experience..."see, if we can get 30 right for weather...What weather? The lines of weather on the radar!!! Adjust the tilt up to 0...what happened? You were painting the Appalachians, sir. Do yourself a favor turn on the EGPWS and then look at the radar, tell me what you see...Better yet, switch to MAP and tell me what you see with your original tilt setting...hmmmmm...Not their fault...ZERO training and about 1/2 the Captains are clueless with radar also. I don't consider myself an expert, but I am a military trained airborne radar operator, so draw your own conclusions about my knowledge and proficiency on optimal radar use. MORE importantly, everyone can and should learn how, and it just takes a little reading and practical experience and you will cease weather deviation for CLE:)

I had one guy ask me to request a deviation around "a lot of that green up ahead" (he pointed to his Nav Display). I replied, "you have Terrain on ND" on.

Not even joking.

Latest resources

Back