Radar Knowledge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

I normally don't kiss and tell, but in my opinion this was so far over the top that its worth sharing.

A few weeks ago, on a dark and stormy night, I jumpseated in a regional jet to my home in the Midwest. Now, I'm familiar with the practice of aiming the wx radar down to paint ground clutter in the outer 1/4 of the screen, and then any returns that come out of that clutter is considered precipitation. This crew had the radar turned so far down that practically the whole screen was ground clutter. So the flat land was painting green and the towns came back as yellow/red.

Well, we circumnavigated some returns(small towns) in Indiana, but when we came to the big red/purple blob with the VOR symbol and the letters VHP in the center, I thought they would question the display...NOOOO...we circumnavigated Indianapolis!!!

The captain asked me to use the headset, so I heard their whole discussion. They really thought they were avoiding thunderstorms! I make it a practice to sit there and not make any comments unless safety is involved, or the crew wants to chat, so I simply said, thanks for the ride and went on my way.

I didn't think it was my place to comment on their lack of understanding. Notice I've left out the airline, aircraft type, city pair, etc. I just hope some people read this post and review some of their radar practices...

I'll probably get ripped for posting this, but so be it...

That must have been funny to watch. At least they weren't at FL370 with the tilt at +3....I've seen that too. Maybe they were just trying to get some overblock.

Descending at night into SNA from Hawaii, I asked to go around the well-formed return that was directly in front of us. Then I realized it was Santa Catalina island...I'm sure I gave LA Center a good laugh!

kind of like coming into EWR from the west...OMG! look at the weather out there! Ummmm, that's Manhattan, sir...oh yeah...

I had a guy messing with the gain a few weeks ago(not a bad idea in the EMB and actually makes the radar "work" a little better). It was not pulled out hence it was on auto. I watched him mess with it for a good 2 hours before I said anything. "hey chief, you got to pull it out for manual gain, you aint been doing nothing for the past 2 hours".

I have also seen this happen.

My experience is that some places don't really teach folks how to use the radar. They may have a ground school hour devoted to it, but if you are coming form a 172 you really need to play with it to figure it out.

They figure it will get taught online, which works if you happen to do your IOE in the spring or summer and the check airmen covers it.

I think we are all aware of the deficiencies of the training environment in the US, training is about the minimum possible time, bake the cake and serve it, doesn't matter how it taste!

So when your colleague ask for you to request a deviation on that perfectly round return that is closing up to you at a combined speed of MACH 1.6....! Be patient and do some teaching!

Latest resources

Back