• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radar Knowledge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've jumpseated on plenty of mainline aircraft (particularly the -88) there the pilots have done the same thing. I kept my laughter to myself.

Aside from telling guys that we don't need to deviate around Chicago and Cleveland for no reason, I found that failing to range down approaching weather is a common error.

Guys and gals fly around with the range pegged out to 100-200 nmi and they're all like, "Oh, it's nothing big." Then when you range down to 25 nmi, its, "Oh yeah, we should probably pick around that."

Who here hasn't mistaken Indy for a storm? I love guys that deviate for no reason I just let it happen it's rAther amusing were going around nothing, best part is when atc asks why and then watch them come up with an explanation.

Last edited:
Seems most of us get all of our radar training from videos and CBTs. The information is all valid and accurate but until you see it and "play" with it, you don't learn it. Sadly, many of our cohorts think it unprofessional to "play" with the equipment. So you get countless pilots who have all been "trained" but understand jack-**** about radar - except maybe how to run the Built-in-test and rotely answer questions on the oral.

Why do people care about weather that's far below them - unless they're planning on descending into it?

Seems most of us get all of our radar training from videos and CBTs. The information is all valid and accurate but until you see it and "play" with it, you don't learn it. Sadly, many of our cohorts think it unprofessional to "play" with the equipment. So you get countless pilots who have all been "trained" but understand jack-**** about radar - except maybe how to run the Built-in-test and rotely answer questions on the oral.

Why do people care about weather that's far below them - unless they're planning on descending into it?

Also, when you do the CBT it may be months until you use the radar. Good luck remembering that CBT that long.

I've jumpseated on plenty of mainline aircraft (particularly the -88) there the pilots have done the same thing. I kept my laughter to myself.

Were the -88s you mention Delta ? If so, I'm a bit surprised you saw people who didn't know how to operate radar (if that's what you meant). They aren't exactly inexperienced people and the DL POM has a pretty good radar section with adequate theory.

But, Dumb Pilot is correct in that little time is spent "teaching" people how to operate wx radar these days. Many years ago, as an example, UAL had a dedicated radar course complete with their own manual and sufficient time addressing the subject in class as best they could. However, that's history.

Like FMS, learning how to operate radar is very much hands-on and experience based. However, there is now ample material available for people to bolster their knowledge base: books and some pretty good articles, much available online. I think I remember Robert Sumwalt wrote a series of good radar articles.

I can recommend a good text written by a DL guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Airborne-Weather-Radar-Users-Guide/dp/0813813638

I don't know where Amazon comes up with those prices but it's a very good radar textbook. (I have no financial interest in this book)

I suppose the first step in correcting a lack of knowledge would be recognizing that lack. For new people, recognizing their employer's CBT didn't amount to much would be a hint. The less experience that new person has, the more obvious that training deficit should be. Asking questions of the captains they fly with would be a good start; most captains will have a good knowledge/experience base.

I had the privilege of flying with some old captains whose experience involved flying before airborne wx radar. The stories would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Flying today with an inadequate knowledge of radar use/operation would be better than having no radar but it's pretty easy to get educated on proper operation. It just requires recognizing the need and having to motivation to fix that.

Ya'll be careful out there. :D

Last edited:

That cuts both ways.

Who has not been offered an unsolicited deviation around weather far below them? "There is an area of extreme precipitation twelve o'clock at forty miles. Would you prefer to deviate left or right?"

Even though the original post is comical, the opposite can happen. We had a crew at 370 running +2 on the tilt. I think the report said they saw it paint red 1 time before they flew in to a CB and put the FA on the ceiling.

Another site:

http://www.radar4pilots.com/

Latest resources

Back