• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

R-22 accident in NC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now, since this IS the "general" section, does anyone know of any problems associated with the R-44 that has established a pattern in accident investigations?

I dunno about anything recent, but there was, in the mid-90s iirc, something going on with R22 rotor shafts. The Robinson I received dual in in 1995 literally fell outta the sky and killed my instructor when the rotor shaft broke. Dunno if he snatched too much collective er what ... but it was a baaaad scene for a while.

Izzat still a problem with Robinsons? I wouldn't think so, by now.

Minh

I'm curious as to why someone would charter a helicopter to make this long of a trip? I mean wouldn't you feel like you'd been beat when you got there? Not that it matters I don't guess. Were it my money though I'd even prefer a chickenhawk to a Robinson. Must be something I don't know about.

Snakum said:
I dunno about anything recent, but there was, in the mid-90s iirc, something going on with R22 rotor shafts. The Robinson I received dual in in 1995 literally fell outta the sky and killed my instructor when the rotor shaft broke. Dunno if he snatched too much collective er what ... but it was a baaaad scene for a while.

Izzat still a problem with Robinsons? I wouldn't think so, by now.
Mast bumping is still very much a problem - but the training these days adressing it is much better. When an abrupt maneuver is made that places low G loads on the rotor, the aircraft is no long pivoting underneath the rotor because it's not supporting the weight. Abrupt or excessive control inputs cause the rotor to move very quickly, and it can go beyond its design limits and part of the rotor head will actually make contact with the rotor mast. If this happens too much or too hard, the mast cracks....and when the mast finally fails, bye bye rotor. This is not just a problem with the Robinson line, but with all helicopters with a semi-rigid rotor system - including all of the Bell 200 series, the Huey, and several other types. Mast bumping was actually discovered on the Hueys back in the Vietnam time frame...and pilots were trained to avoid situations that cause it whenever possible.

Mast bumping occurs more on the Robinsons than other types because the most inexperienced pilots are flying the Robinsons. By the time somebody is experienced enough to be flying most of the other helicopter suseptible to this problem(which are mostly turbine), they know what to avoid, and how to correct it if you get into a low G situation.

Everybody that flys WhopWhop's needs to know the Lord.

Everybody that flys WhopWhop's needs to know the Lord.
LOL! :D

And all Ag Pilots, I'd say. You guys got STONES! :D

Minh

oh f*cking christ. why not move this thread to the "non-av related" side of the board?

let's all beat this dead horse again.

ChrisJ32 said:
"If someone offered you insurance so that you could live on after an accident, you'd buy it, wouldn't you? That's what this is, a premium free policy that keeps you going, even if your airplane is a ball of aluminum.

You can't get that one from Avemco."

No, but having a policy from Avemco makes a whole lot more sense. I grew up in a "born again" household, and then I grew up and learned to think for myself.
No Proverbs 22:6 for you, eh? Too bad.

I have seen many situations where a child's rebellious nature allows Satan to exploit his desire to trust himself instead of God.

The ironic part is, whether or not you remain a believer, you still get what you deserve, sort of like the Henry Ford quote about 'whether you think you can or can't, you're right.'

Anyway, getting back on subject, can someone explain exactly what "mast bumping" is? I have heard the term several times, but never having taken any helo training, I don't know what it means. How does the type of head make this a problem?

must............find............kill switch!....................

has..............to be...............here..............somewhere............

maybe under this red guard?........................no...............

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back