• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quit Airline; now Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of our guys is a furloughed US Airways B737 pilot. When we hired him several years ago we did not require that he forfeit his seniority number. When he was recalled this year, he didn't go back.

GV
What's your point, what is there to go back to at US Air? lol, I started my career in corporate aviation mainly because I didn't meet the four years of college criteria and was too lazy to go back and get it, working for large and small companies turned out to be the best flying experience I will ever have, things changed for me in the mid nineties and I made the break into the airline world almost by accident, I just turned down a Gulfstream job out of SAN and don't regret it, doing a bit of both would be fun but at some point in time a person has to make a choice. I am not here to say one is better than the other, opportunities can happen at a corporate job that an airline guy will never see in a lifetime, money and time off is good for me now so here I stay.

The best corporate jobs blow away the airlines any day of the week.

The worst corporate jobs make most airlines look like paradise.

So what are you saying? Keep the job at Mcdonalds?

That's like saying "what's bad is not good. And what's good is not bad."

So what are you saying? Keep the job at Mcdonalds?

That's like saying "what's bad is not good. And what's good is not bad."

If you can't figure it out, then you just might want to start practicing this catchy phrase:

"You want fries with that"?

If you can't figure it out, then you just might want to start practicing this catchy phrase:

"You want fries with that"?

That the best you can do?

That the best you can do?

Just catering to the level of my audience.

Try to remember that you are the one who brought up the McDonald's analogy

Sorry that you didn't get it. Others did

Quote:
The best corporate jobs blow away the airlines any day of the week.

The worst corporate jobs make most airlines look like paradise.

Couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:
wonder how many guys wanted to "go corporate" when DAL, AMR, UAL, SWA, NWA were all hiring in the mid-90's, or late 80's when AMR was hiring big time.

hmm

funny how that works

When the airlines started hiring big time it wasn't just a great time for airline pilots it was a great time for almost all pilots. I remember during the boom, I went from bottom of the list King Air copilot to International GIII captain before I realized Greenland was ice and Iceland was green! Corporate pay and benefits skyrocketed and QOL became excellent. If you didn't have the FE written or a 737 type it was even better on your resume. Before the boom went bust most corporate pilots had several type ratings and the job they were looking for. It was a great time for both industries.

Since 2001, I have seen corporate pay slow, benefits slow and QOL tighten! If you are thinking of going from Airline to Corporate expect to have a few starter jobs before the right one comes along. If you are lucky enough to get a great one off the bat don't expect the job profile to be anything similar to a 121 both good and bad. No commuting, no union(good or bad), no flight attendant(usualy)(good or bad), no lines to bid, no preplanned flight, no company maintennance at destination, no enroute dispatch. It's usualy just you, another pilot, an airplane, and a cell phone. For all of the insane things I have been asked to do on a trip there has been 10 times as many rewards. Super Bowls/ Nascar/ Stanley Cups/ Bowl Games/ World Series/ Skiing/ guided tours of Isreal/ Europe/ every Island big and small/ trophy fishing, hunting/ you name it and there's a rental car, 5 star hotel, and mortgage eating expense account waiting for you!

Just do a career Corporate pilot a favor if your gonna switch, know what a Acukwik is, know the number for flight service(1-800-WX-BRIEF), how to get catering from a grocery store when it doesn't show, know that pax ground transportation is a bigger emergency than engine fire, know how to deice an airplane with Prestone Antifreeze/ hot coffee water/ and a bug sprayer from Walmart, to bring six days clothes for a day trip, not to accept a Dalton departure from KTEB unless your wife is giving birth, your Duats account number or Flightplan.com password, know that expense reports are for corporate pilot wage compensation and is your Christams bonus, and a few other things I'll keep secret just to beat you out of the next G??? interview that comes along!

I hope the airline flood gates open again so I can get a raise, a couple more type ratings, another day off, and another page to my three page resume. Hiring is good for everyone!!!

I got it, but it doesn't work for me, G4G5 has probably had better jobs than me. :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back