• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quit Airline; now Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you think there would be a way to negotiate up front to avoid that sort of treatment or would it cost you the job no matter how you try to approach it. I'm thinking you make a salary to fly the plane and if they want you to carry golf bags or shuttle them to the bar then a $60/hr rate applies.

I don't know of a tactfull way to bring this up into a job interview.

I agree totally. I was miserably mislead during the interview process. I think that the best way to avoid this type of job is to talk to people in the know...previous pilots, line guys, etc. to find out how the pilots are treated. Be wary of current pilots because the pilots at the company I currently work for also mislead me because they were so short handed at the time they wanted a break. Looking back, there are some signs I should have picked up on but didn't. I was anxious to get away from the airlines. There are some good jobs out there, but like someone mentioned earlier, there are a lot more that aren't so good. Really use due dilingence.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to chime in. I'm in that decision mode now, and will seriously consider all that you have written. Keep your opinions coming.

Last edited:
I, too, am interested in making the leap to the corporate world. I've spent over 7 years in 121 flying and I think the reason that the airline stereotype exists is because we've continually taken a beating and have been told over and over that we are expendable. Not feeling important to an organization does horrendous things to morale and the "can do" attitude. Personally, I would love to fly for a company that would have things for me to do when I'm not flying. I love being around airplanes, period.

wonder how many guys wanted to "go corporate" when DAL, AMR, UAL, SWA, NWA were all hiring in the mid-90's, or late 80's when AMR was hiring big time.

hmm

funny how that works

i've been laid off for five months and flew a baron the other day. I can get 300/day and not have to RON. I have a small print shop and this will give the fix i need plus my kids are 10 and 13. it' funny. somehow i might not have chosen this path, but i'm very much at peace having started to have a somewhat normal life.
the other intangible was i sort of grew tired of old crusty flight attendents and the baggage, real and otherwise you had to put up with.

I left the regionals for a 91 job flying 2 airplanes - Citation 501 and Cirrus SR-22. For me this is the perfect job - I grew up flying small airplanes, flew corporate before going to the airlines, it's a nice pay raise, and it's close to where I live with very few overnights.
One problem with corporate is the wide range of working conditions - some 91 jobs are great and some are horrible. I second an earlier post about doing your research before jumping off of your respective seniority list. I knew my present employer quite well before I left the airlines and had for years - I knew the type flying they do and who I'd be working for. One trick I used (if they don't block their N-number and if they already have an airplane) is go to flightaware.com and run a history of their flights. You can see right away if they are stretching the truth about "only a FEW overnights per month".

I saw this job on Avcrew.com. This is probably the kind of job you don't want. A personal assistant??? Get real! The bad thing about it is I bet this dudes email account is filled with resumes of whores willing to do that.

Pilatus PC12 Pilot (KY) 9/28

Texas based company is looking for a Corporate Pilot for Pilatus PC12 to be based in Lexington, Kentucky. The right individual will be flying owner’s personal aircraft and acting as personal assistant to owner. Competitive salary and benefits, including health insurance and 401K Plan. Pilots requirements include: college degree; ATP; 3,000 Total Time; 2,000 Retract; and 1,000 Turbine. PC12 training a plus. To apply, fax resume to ...

If this is who I think it is, you might be suprised! Being a "personal assistant" to the right person might be a pretty good deal.

Not that I would entertain the job, don't get me wrong. If I were single, hung like a mule, and looked like Brad Pitt, this might be the perfect job. Of course if that where the case I wouldn't be a pilot in the first place.

If this is who I think it is, you might be suprised! Being a "personal assistant" to the right person might be a pretty good deal.

Yep, depends on what assistance is needed and how much the job pays (both in money and QOL)!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back