Quicky. Does anyone add sim time to TT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I only log sim time as sim time.

I have maybe 100 hrs of level D sim time. I just don't add it to the total time. For most jobs an extra 100 hours will not get you a job. There is not a big difference between 5000 and 5100 when it comes to getting an interview or job.

LEVEL D SIM TIME COUNTS AS TOTAL TIME. That's the end of it. It's not questionable record keeping. If you have 100 hours in a full motion sim log it as sim time and add it to your total time. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

Even if it is legal to log level D time, it's not worth it. Like Walpaper said. If the interviewer doesn't think it's legal, regardless if he is right or wrong, you probably won't get the job.

It's hard to argue over a point like this with an interviewer and still get a job offer.

If you do have Level D time, you are probably in a position where the extra few hours of total time will not help you.

Be conservative. Keep it in a separate column. If an airline's application or interviewer allows you to count it towards total time, it's a simple matter of adding it to your TT. If they don't, now you have to subtract it and they will notice a discrepancy in your favor. (Which is to say, not in your favor.)

I have hundreds of hours in different level D sims. It was a conversation piece during the interview. It helped get me the job. Right is right. Log it. Be able to talk about how it helps your understanding of flying a jet aircraft. Tell the interviewer while flying in the sim you learned how to handle multiple failiers, CRM, ect. The SIM will prepare you for airline training. This makes you a great canidate for employment, not a questionable record keeper.

No, no, no...

Batman Fan said:
LEVEL D SIM TIME COUNTS AS TOTAL TIME. That's the end of it.

You are wrong on this. Not to start a pissing contest, but there is a difference between using it for an ATP and counting it towards total time.

Can you be typed in a sim? YES. (If you have 500 turbine.)

Can you use sim time as total for an ATP? Sort of. (See below)

Can you use a sim to get current? YES. (P/C, 90-day landings.)

Do you log that time as total? HELL NO.

That is why you have a SIM column in your logbook. Personally, you can do whatever you want. But go ask the people who interview for every major airline out there if that counts towards TT and they will tell you NO.

What you do in your logbook is your business, but don't tell the up-and-coming pilots that sim counts towards total time because IT DOES NOT.

If you don't believe me, call the FAA and ask if you can just keep logging level D and using it towards total time. Other than using some of it for an ATP under a 142 program, you can't do it. For an ATP: "Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section may be obtained in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter."

Again, I don't care what you personally do. But to tell others to just "log it as total time" is total B.S.

From the SWA website.

Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted

Here is one airlines that does not accept sim time as a means of meeting the requirement.

Mel

you have an MEI dont you? Of course you can leg the deadhead legs.... You should know that : ) - dual given -

B.S. I think not. Pilot time that is outlined in CFR61.51 is flight time that will be used to apply for a certificate of rating or to satisfy flight experiance (landings, flying at night, ect.) When you are in the SIM you should log it as SIM time, no question. That SIM time can be added in the total time section. Only 100 hours of it can be used to apply for an ATP, but all of it can be used to show an future employer your experiance. Why do airline set up time requirements for aplicants? So the applicants have "X" amount of experiance and won't wash out of the program. SIM time is experiance, if done with the right training, much better experiance then flying around in a bug smasher.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back