Quick question for Delta 757/767 guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pirep1

Just curious. In ATL last week when it was snowing, the Delta 75's and 76's all had to run up their engines every 15 or 30 minutes while we all were waiting to deice. The ground controllers had never heard of this and one guy said it's a new procedure. Just wondering what the reason is and is it a new procedure? Thanks.

It sheds the ice on the fan blades. If you don't do it in the alloted time, you have to return to the gate and MTC inspects the engines.

Just curious. In ATL last week when it was snowing, the Delta 75's and 76's all had to run up their engines every 15 or 30 minutes while we all were waiting to deice. The ground controllers had never heard of this and one guy said it's a new procedure. Just wondering what the reason is and is it a new procedure? Thanks.

mosts turbofans in existence require some kind of runup in icing conditions to shed ice from the fans, avoiding damage to acoustic panels (and worse) when applying takeoff power.

Anyone have any idea of how many flights were cancelled between DAL and AirTran last Saturday? Just curious cuz I flew in and out in the morning and we were the only aircraft on approach (eerie, like we missed the memo or something). The weather wasn't so bad, but you can tell they don't de-ice in ATL much more than maybe once a year.

It just seemed strange when the ground controller asked the Delta guy if it was for all of Deta's planes he said no, it was just for the 75's and 76's. We have similar procedures for moderate or severe icing conditions for prolonged ground ops but it was barely snowing. They were also doing it on one engine only (yes both were running). Just didn't know if it was for something other than slinging buildup. Thanks for the replies.

we have a similar thing for the 190, but I believe it says in "moderate to severe" conditions to run them up to 54% N1 for about 30s...

IF they were only running up one motor, maybe they were getting a VIB that wasn't normal and suspected fan ice...and then did the run up thing.

Last edited:
We run our up a little farther, and that is the reason for the call. The did not want to blow over whomever was behind them.

It just seemed strange when the ground controller asked the Delta guy if it was for all of Deta's planes he said no, it was just for the 75's and 76's. We have similar procedures for moderate or severe icing conditions for prolonged ground ops but it was barely snowing. They were also doing it on one engine only (yes both were running). Just didn't know if it was for something other than slinging buildup. Thanks for the replies.

I don't have my POH on me but I believe 3 degrees or less and icing conditions require the runup.

Latest resources

Back