• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for G550 drivers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We will on occasion taxi with one engine shutdown on the 900. Four pilots per aircraft but then again we do 900 hours per aircraft a year.

Having gone from a very efficient 121 operation to the G550, my instructors and sim partner were VERY patient as I started one and taxied out, having my sim partner start the other one.

Same with checking the rudders on the taxi out (reeeellll smoooth...). The Gulfstream is designed for both engines to be started on the ramp and the flight controls checked prior to taxi.

Just go with the program, Tim... :rolleyes:

TC

In the GIV you really are not saving anything by taxing single engine. This is mainly due to the excess thrust required to taxi especially at higher weights. If you have a long delay (more than 30 min.), it may be ok to shut them both down in the holding area. I have found that it is about 400# however you slice it.

Last edited:
i fly with a pic in the g4 that s/e taxis all the time. there is a checklist in the afm for doing it. (basically just taxi on left engine) not my practice, but i have to defer.... he says that they calculated that in 300hrs/yr, they save $30k in fuel/yr. dont know if i believe it, but thats the story.

he says that they calculated that in 300hrs/yr, they save $30k in fuel/yr. dont know if i believe it, but thats the story.

You based in EWR? ;)

Yeah, you'll save some gas but you're running the APU at the same time and jacking the operative engine to get moving.

I'd be surprised if you saved $30k/yr. in airline ops by s.e. taxi.

JMO.

TC

i fly with a pic in the g4 that s/e taxis all the time. there is a checklist in the afm for doing it. (basically just taxi on left engine) not my practice, but i have to defer.... he says that they calculated that in 300hrs/yr, they save $30k in fuel/yr. dont know if i believe it, but thats the story.

...then how does your friend ever functionally check the PTU and the single rudder limiter??

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back