Questions for G550 drivers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1900heavy

Just out of curiosity, do you guys ever single engine taxi?
I know you're boss is filthy rich, but still...I am with 121 Major and we
do it all the time.

One more question, how many pilots do you guys have per airplane?

Thanks.

Filthy rich owners does not mean they are not cheap. The number of pilots varies greatly between operators and the types of operations being conducted. 91, 135, how many hours per year, do you need the plane available 24/7 or are most trips scheduled, is the owner cheap? etc etc...On longer international trips you often need relief crews to combat fatigue and comply with rest requirements. I've seen 91 operators with 1 crew for the plane and just fill in with contract pilots when needed. 135 operators and fortune 500 corp. tend to need multiple crews in order to maintain the availability of the plane.

G550 Questions

In the GIV / GV / G550 world there's hardly anybody with more than two pilots per airplane. Every "Third Guy" I know is out of work.

As for the GIV / GV / G550 "contractors" I know, hardly anybody is working at all.

Now for single engine taxi ... never seen it done in a "G-String".

TransMach

Last edited:
I know of no bizjet operators who taxi on one engine. The only time I ever did was in a Lear 25 at KTEB. Obvious reasons.

Most of the time bizjets don't operate out of the same busy, 37 inline for takeoff airports that airliners do. Also bear in mind we take lots of extra fuel, 2 hrs reserve is not unusual. Our pax dont want to hear "after 2 circles in holding we have to go to XYZ"

We currently have 3 pilots on the plane I fly, previous job averaged 4 per airplane. Jobs with just 2 can be tough jobs, unless there is no issue using contractors. Three fully qualified Captains on a long range A/C really is a minimum IMO. Anything less than that QOL becomes an issue.

Then again....these days guys are complaining less about working more.

A few years ago you were a chump if you only had 2 guys on your G550/Global and made less than 175K.....that today would often be considered a pretty good job.

Go figure.

Last edited:
We taxi single engine when operations permit. Mostly taxi in, but sometimes taxiing out in busy places where an extended taxi or hold is expected. Even the filthy rich(and cheap charter) have to be smart about cutting down fuel expenses if they are to remain competitive these days. That said, the GIV isnt the best plane to taxi out single engine as many of the preflight checks are done with both engines running in the blocks. It takes a different procedure to get things up and ready for flight, but it is possible. Most times its more effective to just shut one down while you wait though.

I'll try to shut one down if we're pulling onto a crowded ramp and an airplane next to us is boarding...but otherwise no SE taxi.

2.5 pilots per plane

Latest resources

Back