• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CitationCapt

STILL determined
Hello,

I have a few performance questions for experienced G200 drivers.

1) What could be the maximum range out of ASE with 4 pax at 70F. (Take into account APG or any other performance program to calculate weight).

2) Maximum range with 8 pax, 80F out of a 5,000' long runway. Using same programs.

Thank you.

CC

1) Almost 1000 NM

2) Almost 1500 NM

(Assuming BOW of about 20,300 lbs, 200 lbs per pax + 50 lbs of bags per pax, hourly fuel burn of 2500 the first hour, 2000 the second and 1800 the third, landing with around 2000 lbs reserve and block speed of around 440 kts at the maximum weight that the runway analysis came up with. Should be vague enough to avoid much dispute while still giving ballpark numbers.)

Anyone fly the CL300?

pair_of_pratts,

Thank you for looking at this. I suspected the numbers you came up with, but needed your experienced viewpoint.

Now, if someone flying the Challenger 300 could answer the same questions, as the "marketing" numbers I found say 2,382nm and 2,854nm respectively. Could they be that high?

CC

Last edited:
I can't quote specifics, but I do know that the Challenger 300 is a more capable airplane in terms of runway performance. The G-200 does okay until you start throwing in contamination. And that does make it a little difficult to plan trips when you have to really start studying the conditions if it starts to rain. The guidance that was given by Gulfstream a little over a year ago (or so) on what was considered to be a contaminated runway is pretty liberal so there is, in fact, a good window to hit, but the main difference seems to be that the Challenger can just do it under more circumstances than the G-200 with less hair splitting. Our department's philosophy is pretty much that if it's raining it's a wet runway. I'm not going to measure the depth of the water on the runway. The guys that fly the Challengers indicate to me that the numbers, even when considering bad weather, are pretty impressive off the runway.

CL30 #s: aspen

Using APG Runway Analysis,

22C MATOW dry rwy 35540#s (Field Length Limited, flaps 10)

24325 (bow)
- 800 (pax)
------------
10415 #s FOB.

1500#s is just over 45 minutes reserve, so with 8900#s to burn, that'll get you just over 4 .5 hours down the road (2500 1st hour, 1800 2nd hr, 1700/hr after that). We cruise at 460 KTAS all day long....2070 miles, zero wind

MATOW flaps 20 goes up to 36522, obstacle limited. VMC climb limit weight is 37964.

PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send you the PDF files of any runway analysis for the CL30 you need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
CL30 #s: 5000' rwy

8 pax, 80F (28C), using flaps 20

35895 is your Obstacle clearance limit (IMC climb)
38850 is your VMC climb limit weight

Flaps 10;

35706-IMC climb limited weight
38850 VMC climb limit

range w 8 pax (1600#s) using flaps 20:

just under 4.5 hours: 2024 NM @460 ktas

(and if my math is off on any of these, its cuz I'm tired and should be sleeping right now!)

Last edited:
pair_of_pratts,

Thank you for looking at this. I suspected the numbers you came up with, but needed your experienced viewpoint.

Now, if someone flying the Challenger 300 could answer the same questions, as the "marketing" numbers I found say 2,382nm and 2,854nm respectively. Could they be that high?

CC

I'm guessing these weights are based on VMC climbs where you are maintaining your own terrain clearance. The distances I gave you were based on the more restrictive IMC climb requirements. The only scenario I gave you where the 300 was field length limited was flaps 10 out of aspen. The other situations were Obstable climb limited, and I think those all had VMC climb limits of max gross, 38850, so the marketing #s you were provided don't seem to be too far off.

CL30 requires substantially less runway than the G200 does.

There's an understatement!

While it has a decent cabin for the price, you will be hard pressed to find a modern bizjet with as poor perf #'s as a G200.

Latest resources

Back