• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Questions about NIFA Nationals...

Jmmccutc

Go away Peg.
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Posts
514
Total Time
:-)
so four years of hard work from myself and a few other trying to build a machine out of a pile of dog poo but it's finally done...Kent State made the national NIFA competition for the first time in 22 years last week...i was just wondering what other school who go to the competition do for a practice schedule between your reginal meet and the big show...

~Jake
 

IP076

That's right, you're....
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Posts
436
Total Time
2600
Check your PMs!
 

Gutenberg

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Posts
160
Total Time
6500
We found airports on the way to nationals, stopped there for lunch and practiced landings, studied, etc. Normally, they bar teams from practicing at the competition airport except for very narrow time slots.

GO SOX
 

Illini Pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2002
Posts
245
Total Time
2000
after regionals we were done for the semester, then picked it back up in late january with regular meetings (2x a week for most events). pretty much the same as before regionals, but a longer prep time.
 

CaravanMan

Drop eet like eet's hot
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Posts
519
Total Time
Some
Illini Pilot said:
after regionals we were done for the semester, then picked it back up in late january with regular meetings (2x a week for most events). pretty much the same as before regionals, but a longer prep time.
Ditto. Good luck, and congrats on making Nationals! Say hi to Wally Funk, lol. ;)
 

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
803
Total Time
28 yrs
My advice....drink heavily. (John Belushi, Animal House)

Dude, try not to get too caught up in Nationals. Bunch of geeky judges making sure you act "professional", at least their definition of the word. Too many students take the Nationals too seriously. The reality of the situation is that very few schools take most of the awards. Let's see...UND, ERAU (both campuses, but PRC is better), Western Michigan, Ohio State, USAFA, OK State, etc... What do these schools have in common??? Lots of money given to their flight teams. I remember that ERAU-DB had a $90,000 budget back in 1991. How are teams to compete with that?

Things I remember from Nationals...

1. Getting the whole team to sing "Why don't we get drunk (and screw)" while staging aircraft.

2. Contests with female team members like seeing who can blow the pitot tube to get the highest airspeed indication, and seeing how long they could suck on the stall horn.

3. Lighting fireworks as people were leaving the banquet.

4. Going to the strip club in New Orleans.

5. Dropping bikini underwear in the message drop competition.

6. Making fun of the UND team and Wally Funk

7. Playing football and frisbie.

8. Seeing the USAFA van on cement blocks with the wheels missing

9. Saran wrapping the ERAU-PRC van

10. Hanging our school's banner on UND's tower.

Anyway, to answer your question...keep practicing, maybe once a week for each event. Do your best, but don't fixate on the competition. My first year on the team made me believe that we were a bad a$$ team (before nationals). We walked away with zero awards.

Make sure you have some fun while you are at the competition. I can't tell you how many members of other teams wished they were on our team when they saw how much fun we were having.

Cheers!

GP
 

CaravanMan

Drop eet like eet's hot
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Posts
519
Total Time
Some
GuppyPuppy said:
My advice....drink heavily. (John Belushi, Animal House)

Dude, try not to get too caught up in Nationals. Bunch of geeky judges making sure you act "professional", at least their definition of the word. Too many students take the Nationals too seriously. The reality of the situation is that very few schools take most of the awards. Let's see...UND, ERAU (both campuses, but PRC is better), Western Michigan, Ohio State, USAFA, OK State, etc... What do these schools have in common??? Lots of money given to their flight teams. I remember that ERAU-DB had a $90,000 budget back in 1991. How are teams to compete with that?

Things I remember from Nationals...

1. Getting the whole team to sing "Why don't we get drunk (and screw)" while staging aircraft.

2. Contests with female team members like seeing who can blow the pitot tube to get the highest airspeed indication, and seeing how long they could suck on the stall horn.

3. Lighting fireworks as people were leaving the banquet.

4. Going to the strip club in New Orleans.

5. Dropping bikini underwear in the message drop competition.

6. Making fun of the UND team and Wally Funk

7. Playing football and frisbie.

8. Seeing the USAFA van on cement blocks with the wheels missing

9. Saran wrapping the ERAU-PRC van

10. Hanging our school's banner on UND's tower.

Anyway, to answer your question...keep practicing, maybe once a week for each event. Do your best, but don't fixate on the competition. My first year on the team made me believe that we were a bad a$$ team (before nationals). We walked away with zero awards.

Make sure you have some fun while you are at the competition. I can't tell you how many members of other teams wished they were on our team when they saw how much fun we were having.

Cheers!

GP
Nicely said, GP! We were a good Regionals team, but at Nationals we were always in the middle of an 8 way tie for last place, hehehe (although that's improved a lot since I left...wonder why, lol)! I know I always gave it my best shot at whatever event I was in, but our whole team was there to enjoy it and have a lot of fun. Sounds like GP and his team got some good pranks in! Many of those on his list sound familiar! Our team and CMSU had a great time at every competition. We always had to one-up the other with the best pranks.

Here are some of my fond memories, some pranks included: :)

1. Putting about 4 dozen crickets in a CMSU guy's soft-top Jeep.

2. Swiping a CMSU room key, then our team going in while they were gone and putting EVERYTHING in the room into the bathroom...EVERYthing...matresses too...lol, that was great!

3. Having a key made matching their rental van; moving it around the parking lot for a day or two just to confuse them, then filling it about 2 feet deep with packing peanuts.

4. "Discovering" a species of cricket in Stillwater that could fly and naming them "Fricketts."

5. Touring the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis and watching the shocked, helpless looks on my teammates faces as they watched gallons and gallons of beer draining onto the floor from a tank.

6. Making fun of the ERAU robots...then watching them clean the floor with everyone!

7. Going to Cabellas in N. Dakota and watching a girl on our team perfom "suggestive" positions with a moose statue.

8. Pushing and pulling planes all over creation for too d**n long.

9. Being the first Nav team to fly...then sitting in isolation until the end of time...at least the girl I flew with was hot! :D

10. Seeing a gas station in the ghetto in Mississipi with a sign that said, "Loiter at your own risk."

Man, those were good times! You have to make the most of the competition. If you go there strictly to compete, you'll go nuts. Have fun! You'll make a lot of good friends while there.
 

IP076

That's right, you're....
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Posts
436
Total Time
2600
CaravanMan said:
3. Having a key made matching their rental van; moving it around the parking lot for a day or two just to confuse them, then filling it about 2 feet deep with packing peanuts.

6. Making fun of the ERAU robots...then watching them clean the floor with everyone!

7. Going to Cabellas in N. Dakota and watching a girl on our team perfom "suggestive" positions with a moose statue.

8. Pushing and pulling planes all over creation for too d**n long.

10. Seeing a gas station in the ghetto in Mississipi with a sign that said, "Loiter at your own risk."
Van Keys? Now, thats a hell of an idea! I think I witnessed that Moose act in Cabellas, was that in 01 or 03? Ditto on pushing the planes, I'd laugh my ass off at the first team to show up with one of those motorized tow bars....gotta love good ole Mississippi....That was Grenada right? What an interesting place.....

Yeah, Nationals are a blast, so, have some fun while your out there.

Oh yeah, thanks for the props on #6 there...I've been with that time for a while and I've always had fun at Nationals...not to mention, winning is pretty fun too
 

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Posts
5,311
Total Time
1500+
IlliNOIS likes to put a bazillion "Institute of Aviation" magnets all over other school's vans. We got those f**kers good at UND in 2003, but they got us back hardcore last year. As our illustrious team captain, I was woken up at 6:15am with a phone call to "get my @ss downstairs and clean the van up". The Vasaline was a nice touch; it doesn't even come off with pressure washing. Nine Lives canned catfood might stink, but at least it washes off easily. You can deny it all you want, we know it was you guys ;)

My favorite prank was Lewis putting a For Sale sign on our van. Of course we called the number on it, and it was answered by the girlfriend of a former Purdue graduate who flight instructed there. She had no idea WTF was going on, and neither did we...

And *everybody* makes fun of UND and ERAU teams. This past year the Riddle people were more outgoing than ever before, and the UND team was as snobbish and uptight as ever - I guess some things never change.

1. Daily Euchre tournaments (that I never participated in)
2. Super Troopers on DVD
3. A 10 hour flight from GFK to LAF in a Cessna 150
4. Chatting with scouting nav teams on the air-to-air
5. Hitting it big on the craps table during the Friday Night Event
6. Having two guys on my team totally scare the bejesus out of Ohio U by pretending to be Minneapolis Center on the air-to-air
7. Staying overnight at Grand Geneva Air Park
8. Whipping Lewis in touch football like Miami playing Duke
9. Using the callsign "Toto 1" when arriving into Salina
10. Losing the game/winning the mumbly
11. Steak & Shake after the banquet
12. San Jose State. I hope they make it back this year...
 

groundpointsix

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Posts
372
Total Time
-
BoilerUP said:
And *everybody* makes fun of UND and ERAU teams. This past year the Riddle people were more outgoing than ever before, and the UND team was as snobbish and uptight as ever - I guess some things never change.
UND was at our hotel last year. Being a rather outgoing team (and one with girls no less), a couple of our people tried to strike up a conversation with a UND drone. The only words out of his mouth were "I need to go study now." Of course, they then proceeded to kick our ass over the course of the next week. Oh well, at least we had fun. Best 4 years of my life...shame I have to join the real world next month.

For the original poster-- take some time off. If you practice non-stop for the next 6 months you'll be so burned out it's rediculous.
 

Jmmccutc

Go away Peg.
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Posts
514
Total Time
:-)
sounds like it's a good time...hope to see some of ya'll there...Kent team is a pretty good time...
 

VNugget

suck squeeze bang blow
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Posts
809
Total Time
1700
BoilerUP said:
12. San Jose State. I hope they make it back this year...
So do I, but I may be a little biased.
 

TrafficInSight

mmmm.... doooonuuuut.
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Posts
613
Total Time
350
BoilerUP said:
12. San Jose State. I hope they make it back this year...

Don't think it'll happen this year unless there's a miracle or the "University Risk Manager" gets hit on the head with something.

maybe next year if NIFA changes the rules for us. I hope.

We're still practicing on our own dime in case something amazing happens.
 

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
803
Total Time
28 yrs
ahh....92E...

I remember when it was white with orange stripes!

Good luck to you guys this year. I know its been a tough battle. Hang in there.

GP
 

TrafficInSight

mmmm.... doooonuuuut.
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Posts
613
Total Time
350
GuppyPuppy said:
ahh....92E...

I remember when it was white with orange stripes!

Good luck to you guys this year. I know its been a tough battle. Hang in there.

GP
Thanks! We all really appreciate all the support the other teams have given us.
 

Crossky

A Gentleman and a bother
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Posts
406
Total Time
7700
GuppyPuppy said:
My advice....drink heavily. (John Belushi, Animal House)

Dude, try not to get too caught up in Nationals. Bunch of geeky judges making sure you act "professional", at least their definition of the word. Too many students take the Nationals too seriously. The reality of the situation is that very few schools take most of the awards. Let's see...UND, ERAU (both campuses, but PRC is better), Western Michigan, Ohio State, USAFA, OK State, etc... What do these schools have in common??? Lots of money given to their flight teams. I remember that ERAU-DB had a $90,000 budget back in 1991. How are teams to compete with that?
I agree, but I don't remember OK State being loaded with a huge flight team budget at all. That was way back in the day ('89-'91) so it could've changed I guess. The university pitched in but I wouldn't have guessed it was more than $8K per year definitely, don't know what the alums pitched in. $90K is a lotta coin.

Don't let Wally Funk beat you with her 'wally stick'. ;)
 

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
803
Total Time
28 yrs
Crossky said:
I agree, but I don't remember OK State being loaded with a huge flight team budget at all. That was way back in the day ('89-'91) so it could've changed I guess. The university pitched in but I wouldn't have guessed it was more than $8K per year definitely, don't know what the alums pitched in. $90K is a lotta coin.

Don't let Wally Funk beat you with her 'wally stick'. ;)
One of the funniest stories about Wally came from one of our coaches (past competitor). Wally approached him with her "Wally Stick" (wooden dowel that she claims will help her find cracks in the propeller as you use it to bang on your prop). She told him to go ahead and strike the propeller with the stick. When he asked "how hard?" she replied, "as hard as you want". As he struck the propeller the stick broke into several pieces. He offered the 3 inch remnant of the stick that was still in his hand back to her. He said the look on her face was that of someone who just found out their dog had been killed! Puzzled and confused and maybe a little bit sad she took the small piece back and started picking up the other pieces as the team walked away trying not to laugh!

BTW...$8,000 is still $8,000 more than what our school gave us. And now they have revoked the team's membership in NIFA stating it was too risky. Ignorance never ceases to amaze me. How can the school support ski clubs, rock climbing clubs, heck...even the football team and call the NIFA events high risk?

GP
 

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Posts
672
Total Time
5:00
We practiced 4-6 days a week. Typically 3-5 hours each weeknight. But despite that, it was some of the best times in my life. I miss it already. I think I'm headin to Region VIII's regionals next week for my first judging experience. And to think, I missed regional top pilot last year by one lousy point....son'of'a........
 

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Posts
672
Total Time
5:00
Remember Wally running around the ramp asking people to show her their data plate? Good God that woman is crazy. I think her health is failing, though. Had a friend tell me that she was last seen in a wheelchair. I guess crazy pilots get old too.
 

XJTguy77

New member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Posts
3
Total Time
30 yrs
BoilerUP said:
12. San Jose State. I hope they make it back this year...
We're pulling for you guys. Really sucked what happened; hope to see you guys back at Nationals soon! It hasn't been the same since.
 
Top