• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions about NIFA Nationals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds like it's a good time...hope to see some of ya'll there...Kent team is a pretty good time...

BoilerUP said:
12. San Jose State. I hope they make it back this year...

So do I, but I may be a little biased.

BoilerUP said:

Don't think it'll happen this year unless there's a miracle or the "University Risk Manager" gets hit on the head with something.

maybe next year if NIFA changes the rules for us. I hope.

We're still practicing on our own dime in case something amazing happens.

ahh....92E...

I remember when it was white with orange stripes!

Good luck to you guys this year. I know its been a tough battle. Hang in there.

GP

GuppyPuppy said:
ahh....92E...

I remember when it was white with orange stripes!

Good luck to you guys this year. I know its been a tough battle. Hang in there.

GP

Thanks! We all really appreciate all the support the other teams have given us.

GuppyPuppy said:
My advice....drink heavily. (John Belushi, Animal House)

Dude, try not to get too caught up in Nationals. Bunch of geeky judges making sure you act "professional", at least their definition of the word. Too many students take the Nationals too seriously. The reality of the situation is that very few schools take most of the awards. Let's see...UND, ERAU (both campuses, but PRC is better), Western Michigan, Ohio State, USAFA, OK State, etc... What do these schools have in common??? Lots of money given to their flight teams. I remember that ERAU-DB had a $90,000 budget back in 1991. How are teams to compete with that?

I agree, but I don't remember OK State being loaded with a huge flight team budget at all. That was way back in the day ('89-'91) so it could've changed I guess. The university pitched in but I wouldn't have guessed it was more than $8K per year definitely, don't know what the alums pitched in. $90K is a lotta coin.

Don't let Wally Funk beat you with her 'wally stick'. ;)

Crossky said:
I agree, but I don't remember OK State being loaded with a huge flight team budget at all. That was way back in the day ('89-'91) so it could've changed I guess. The university pitched in but I wouldn't have guessed it was more than $8K per year definitely, don't know what the alums pitched in. $90K is a lotta coin.

Don't let Wally Funk beat you with her 'wally stick'. ;)

One of the funniest stories about Wally came from one of our coaches (past competitor). Wally approached him with her "Wally Stick" (wooden dowel that she claims will help her find cracks in the propeller as you use it to bang on your prop). She told him to go ahead and strike the propeller with the stick. When he asked "how hard?" she replied, "as hard as you want". As he struck the propeller the stick broke into several pieces. He offered the 3 inch remnant of the stick that was still in his hand back to her. He said the look on her face was that of someone who just found out their dog had been killed! Puzzled and confused and maybe a little bit sad she took the small piece back and started picking up the other pieces as the team walked away trying not to laugh!

BTW...$8,000 is still $8,000 more than what our school gave us. And now they have revoked the team's membership in NIFA stating it was too risky. Ignorance never ceases to amaze me. How can the school support ski clubs, rock climbing clubs, heck...even the football team and call the NIFA events high risk?

GP

We practiced 4-6 days a week. Typically 3-5 hours each weeknight. But despite that, it was some of the best times in my life. I miss it already. I think I'm headin to Region VIII's regionals next week for my first judging experience. And to think, I missed regional top pilot last year by one lousy point....son'of'a........

Remember Wally running around the ramp asking people to show her their data plate? Good God that woman is crazy. I think her health is failing, though. Had a friend tell me that she was last seen in a wheelchair. I guess crazy pilots get old too.

BoilerUP said:

We're pulling for you guys. Really sucked what happened; hope to see you guys back at Nationals soon! It hasn't been the same since.

Latest resources

Back