Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thedude said:
Come on...the 727 isn't that hard to land....well maybe from the panel

LOL...it just takes some time to get used to landing it. It is just not a natural instinct to push the nose over to get a good landing out of it. Same as the MD-80 types...

727RedTails said:
I will agree with BringuptheBird's assesment.

AnimalTale, the ladies always did say you greased them in the J32.

;)

Now that was a GREAT airplane! I miss her!

Cya

Try this...

At 100' foot call chop power to idle...

Push nose down 5 degrees below current setting....

At 30, 20 call aggressively bring nose up to take VVI to 200 pfm....

(I've never flown an Airbus, but I once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I just love to pretend to be an expert at things I've NEVER done like 95.5% of the folks on this board..)

No really..don't try this...

AKAAB said:
As I've told the passengers in the past - even Tiger Woods misses a putt once in a while.

I just tell them that flying is like pimpin'. If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it.

:pimp:

The 738 is down the list a bit as far as ease of landing. Going from widebody to 738 was evil, as there is a tendency to get ground rush and flare high. Then, BAM! the jet stops flying and drops in.

If I were to rank the AC I've flown from easiest to hardest, it'd look like this, FWIW.

777: by far the sweetest; the triple truck absorbs a lot of energy and smooths things out.
757: cake
S-80: once you figure it out, consistency is pretty easy
MD-11: Not as bad as some guys say.
767-300: Not my favorite
767-200: Yuck
737-800: Speed is life, except at Burbank, LaGuardia, CZM, etc.

One item not mentioned here is that the flight control laws on the Bus are different from normal aircraft in one important respect. That is that the motion of the side stick is a rate command not a flight control position command. A specific degree and rate of movement of the sidestick produces the same aircraft reaction regardless of aircraft speed.

This makes hunting for the ground easier. You don't need larger and larger inputs as the aircraft slows. Very small inputs will produce the same results even as the aircraft is slowing. The flight controls, ie elevator, ailerons, will move at greater and greater deflections to produce the desired attitude change with the same relative side stick input.

If you keep this little item in mind it makes landings easier, in my humble opnion.

Groucho said:
One item not mentioned here is that the flight control laws on the Bus are different from normal aircraft in one important respect. That is that the motion of the side stick is a rate command not a flight control position command. A specific degree and rate of movement of the sidestick produces the same aircraft reaction regardless of aircraft speed.

This makes hunting for the ground easier. You don't need larger and larger inputs as the aircraft slows. Very small inputs will produce the same results even as the aircraft is slowing. The flight controls, ie elevator, ailerons, will move at greater and greater deflections to produce the desired attitude change with the same relative side stick input.

If you keep this little item in mind it makes landings easier, in my humble opnion.

that's not entirely true, the elevator goes into direct law starting at a certain height agl (hence the reason losing both RAs is a big deal.. the plane goes into direct law when you drop the gear). As the plane slows, you will have to add more back elevator to keep the same pitch.

Actually it's called Flare Mode and it memorizes the pitch attitude at about 50' and begins to input a nose-down bias so that you'll have to apply some aft stick to flare.

You really don't want to start putting in progressively larger stick inputs (known as Stirring the Paint). You do want to have some thrust in at 50' just so you know what you've got. It's easy to get high and with Autothrust active and end up with idle thrust all the way down. You can get some interesting sink rates if you let it go unstable below 500' and striking the tail is a real possibility. Since the trust levers don't move, it's up to you to know where the power's at.

Latest resources

Back