Question for the Airbus drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B1900FO said:
Every 738 driver I have talked to says its a b**** to grease it on...

The 737 is by far the easiest plane to get a good landing out of, just like the days of the C-172. Now, the B-727 is another story...

The A320 has a function called "GS mini" which keeps the aircraft at a speed (ref) plus the headwind component automatically. The aircraft always has "energy" to flare and therefore, even pulling the power off at 30 feet allows the aircraft to settle quite nicely to the pavement.

Other jets, the 737 and 727 included, the only energy manager was the guy with the throttles in his/her hand and sometimes (I know from experience) you run out of energy before the wheels find the asphalt.

A350

HEY where is this "GS mini" button? I have been pounding these things on since day one!:)

I saw them put a neck brace on Flip after my last "arrival".

StaySeated said:
HEY where is this "GS mini" button? I have been pounding these things on since day one!:)
I saw them put a neck brace on Flip after my last "arrival".

Did you mess my boy up???!!

Cya

obviously you are not talking of the A-300. You are having an acceptional day if you can get 2 good ones in a row.

PHXFLYR said:
I believe it has to do with the amount of wing diheadiral that the airplane has. The greater the diahedrial the easier it is to get a decent landing out of it due to better low speed handling characteristics. Flew DHC-8's and DC-8s
in a prior life and neither one had much in the way of dihedrial. Landings left much to be desired...But then again,maybe it was me.....????:D

PHXFLYR

Yeah, that's my story too, and I'm sticking to it!

Say you don't know a fella with the nickname trei, do ya?

Easy plane to land or not, people go through periods of not being able to land at all. 16 months on the plane now and I always here guys say that eventually you will get into a rutt where you cant land to save your life. I never belived it until the end of last month. Everthing was fine. I was able to grease it almost every time and them BAM....cant land it at all. I am just now starting to get the feeling back but for 3 weeks no matter how hard I tried, it was an hard, ugly landing. Normally not a bad thing since I fly with the same guys all the time but rather ugly when you have never flown with the guy and its only an out and back.

I agree with Longhorn. I'm very inconsistent with my landings. I'll have a dozen absolute greasers in a row and start thinking I've finally figured it out. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, I can't buy anything better than a plunker. Very frustrating.

It's kind of like golf for me. It's more a headgame than a physical thing. I think I try to fly the way I think a captain wants me to fly and it leads to inconsistency. If the captain leaves the power on until Feefee calls him a retard, then I start doing that instead of my normal 30' thing. Then I start floating. Then I try to fix the floating by flying it on with less of a flare. Then I pound a landing or 2 and I decide to break the descent a little higher... then I decide to leave the power in... aaaarrghhh.

OpenClimb said:
It's kind of like golf for me.

I agree! I'm finding that golf is like flying. You'll have a string of great games and then you go through a period where you sometimes wonder why you're even allowed to hold a golf club.

It's those great golf games, beautiful sunsets and sunrises from the air, and a greaser of a landing that keep us coming back for more!!

Flew the 737 and now the Bus and have found that the 320 has been easier to get good consitant landings, except in a stiff crosswind.

Did a auto-land in the Bus the other day and let's just say that it wasn't pretty. The passengers didn't believe us when we told them that it was an autoland.;)

Latest resources

Back