• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for pilots who fly in Mexico often

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being a WN guy I'd say dump the gear and take the 101 degree radial the the airport. And remember - you're never high until you're pointed at the runway!

Gup

Good question. First, make sure you are above the grid MORA on the low altitude or area chart. Then, align yourself as necessary prior to reaching the VOR to easily track it outbound.

The phraseology I use to accomplish this is something like:
“N1234, request maneuvers to align for approach” or “N1234, request clearance to position for approach”

As you know, controllers in Mexico are facilitators and will approve pretty much anything you request. “Roger, N1234.”

Hope this helps; keeps the scrambling to a minimum.

This is pretty hilarious stuff. Mexican controllers are "facilitators" and you should "request manuevers to align for approach". I don't know where you fly, but you try some phraseology like that going into MMMX you "gonna have some splainin' to do, Lucy" when you get on the ground. MMMX has published arrivals and approaches, just like any other major airport and you fly it as published.

http://ivao.klaeuserich.net/charts/MEXXX.pdf

Mexican controllers are extremely professional, and will issue numerous approach speeds on arrival, and you are expected to comply, like any major US airport. There is no available airspace to "align for the approach" and I cringe when people advise things like this. Every approach I've ever made into MMMX begins with an arrival over the Mateo VOR, tracking outbound on the 160 radial at 9700 ft. The PNF tunes the MEX 248R, and when it comes alive, retunes the PF vor to the ILS, and he resets to the LOC course. When the 248 MEX centers, (the lead radial) he begins turning and descending. It's an aggressive manuever, because if you are not configured, and don't descend and turn together, you will be high on the glideslope. (Ask me how I know) Use the lead radial, be configured and on speed, but DON"T ask for "manuevers to align for the approach".

Latest resources

Back