Question for pilots who fly in Mexico often

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Has anyone flown in to Torreon or Mexico City? I was flying into Torreon the other day. We were cleared for the VOR DME 1 Rwy 30 approach. The approach initiates by first flying over the VOR, then tracking outbound on the 101 deg radial. This is no problem if you're coming in from the south. However, we were coming in from the NW on V20. Therefore, we had to make about a 145 deg left turn over the VOR. Well, this led to an extremely large overshoot which took about 5 miles to get back on the radial. We were in a non-radar environment. MY question is, can you intiate the left turn early to avoid a large overshoot? I don't know how far the protected airspace extends but if you knew a large overshoot would result, could I have turned maybe 4 miles in advance? I have used this technique in Mexico City coming in from Pachua VOR when they are landing RWY 5. The transition angle between your course and the turn to RWY 5 LOC is about 120 deg. I don't use 4 miles at Mexico City but still lead the turn and the approach ends up working like a charm. Your thoughts please.

Has anyone flown in to Torreon or Mexico City? I was flying into Torreon the other day. We were cleared for the VOR DME 1 Rwy 30 approach. The approach initiates by first flying over the VOR, then tracking outbound on the 101 deg radial. This is no problem if you're coming in from the south. However, we were coming in from the NW on V20. Therefore, we had to make about a 145 deg left turn over the VOR. Well, this led to an extremely large overshoot which took about 5 miles to get back on the radial. We were in a non-radar environment. MY question is, can you intiate the left turn early to avoid a large overshoot? I don't know how far the protected airspace extends but if you knew a large overshoot would result, could I have turned maybe 4 miles in advance? I have used this technique in Mexico City coming in from Pachua VOR when they are landing RWY 5. The transition angle between your course and the turn to RWY 5 LOC is about 120 deg. I don't use 4 miles at Mexico City but still lead the turn and the approach ends up working like a charm. Your thoughts please.

Good question. First, make sure you are above the grid MORA on the low altitude or area chart. Then, align yourself as necessary prior to reaching the VOR to easily track it outbound.

The phraseology I use to accomplish this is something like:
“N1234, request maneuvers to align for approach” or “N1234, request clearance to position for approach”

As you know, controllers in Mexico are facilitators and will approve pretty much anything you request. “Roger, N1234.”

Hope this helps; keeps the scrambling to a minimum.

Good question. First, make sure you are above the grid MORA on the low altitude or area chart. Then, align yourself as necessary prior to reaching the VOR to easily track it outbound.

The phraseology I use to accomplish this is something like:
“N1234, request maneuvers to align for approach” or “N1234, request clearance to position for approach”

As you know, controllers in Mexico are facilitators and will approve pretty much anything you request. “Roger, N1234.”

Hope this helps; keeps the scrambling to a minimum.

I lead the turns to stay on the radial. If your LNAV was flying the approach it would do it. Nobody will ever question it controller wise. You will always find a pilot that insists on doing it the hard way.

Other hints:

Slow down - reducing your turn radius
Configure early - so you can descend when you need to
Hit your minimum published altitudes on descent. Flying Pt.91 to Mexico, I found a common threat was flying over a segment high then finding yourself pushed to descend at a higher than normal rate to catch up on the approach.

Sounds like the the VOR was designated as a 'flyover' wpt on the FMC. Otherwise the FMC would have led the turn, right?

For that approach if your turn, on to the out bound leg is greater then 90 degrees. You must enter the hold on the other side. Your entry into the hold will set you up to fly the approach procedure. That is the only way to complete this approach in IMC conditions.

If you are VMC then call the feild and do the 145 degree turn.

without being familiar with approach I would say normally if the inbound heading is more than 30 degree difference to outbound course then holding pattern is entered so as to enable the aircraft to cross fix and fly outbound. Does the approach have a published holding pattern?

Latest resources

Back