• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for ERJ folks...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another 135, 145 question...Is it possible to lock the gust lock (or what ever it is that comes up on the thrust levers while @ idle) in flight?
I heard of this happening but figured it was BS.

Is it possible to lock the gust lock (or what ever it is that comes up on the thrust levers while @ idle) in flight?
The electromechanical gust locks are WOW protected. I'm not positive about the mechanical locks, however.

Yes...I know of an instance of the electromechanical gust lock being locked while in flight.

The locking pins did not engage in the elevator however they were not able to get the gust lock out of it's "locked" position because the control column has to be in a certain position. So essentially they had normal elevator authority but the thrust was limited to as far as you can get the thrust levers up to before knocking into the gust lock. Roughly half way up.

Story goes the FO was reaching for the spoilers and grabbed the gust lock. I believe it too...some guys are in such a freaking rush to hit this or that button...Sometimes I swear it's like an "after takeoff checklist olympics." How fast and at how low an altitude can I do all these things.

For the mechanical lock to be engaged on the ground or in flight the control column has to be in the full forward position. If the column is full forward in flight, you've got a bigger problem than the gust lock.

Hey all,

Watched an AE 135 taking off today from LGA with the side window totally blocked by a huge silver sun shade... Normal practice or did he forget to remove it? Seems like it would be a safety issue as side view (and a little bit of forward view) seemed to be totally blocked off by the shade.

thx, 73

G-damn kids and their RJ's. :rolleyes: :D

For the mechanical lock to be engaged on the ground or in flight the control column has to be in the full forward position. If the column is full forward in flight, you've got a bigger problem than the gust lock.
That's what I thought, since that's how it is in our sims, which have mechanical locks.

We were picking up a plane once, and maintenance was on board. Apparently the previous crew had written up the electromechanical gust lock because it could be locked in flight. I asked the captain, "How do you suppose they discovered that?"

The last time I was flying aircraft that had gustlocks was back in my Cessna single engine training days.
I had no idea rj's had gust locks.

The control column should be full forward to engage the gust lock, but in this case that safety mechanism failed and the gust lock was engaged in flight with the control column in a flying position. It happened like a previous poster described, however, the gust lock was not brought back to the "locked" position, only the halfway position. This allowed around 85% thrust and full elevator movement.

Latest resources

Back