Question for any 2 pilot/ 1 aircraft flight depts. and hard days off.

CitationXDriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Posts
113
Total Time
2:27pm
This is mainly aimed at flight deptartments with 1 aircraft and 2 pilots and on a 135 certificate. I am trying to gauge how many of "us" get hard days off. My situation is on call 7 days a week with no hard days off and after having to cancel my second "mini-vacation" in 3 weeks due to last minute flights, I am not a happy camper. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind being on call and the occasional pop-up can be exciting, but I also think I should be able to make plans and not worry about having to break them. And yes, this is being written in the heat of the moment, I just had to turn the car around from a 2 day excursion with the girlfriend.
 

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
4,574
Total Time
18,550
very common in 135.

2 pilot operation are brutal. whenever that a/c flies...well you know.

fight hard for a 3rd pilot or for use on contractors.

Many 135 operators sell these 2 pilot ops to owners as a way to save money. Pilots just enjoy being abused, ya know?

99% of the time you cant change the job, you have to change jobs.

good luck.
 

rice

Clown Puncher
Joined
Feb 10, 2002
Posts
902
Total Time
8000+
Gulfstream 200 said:
very common in 135.

2 pilot operation are brutal. whenever that a/c flies...well you know.

fight hard for a 3rd pilot or for use on contractors.

Many 135 operators sell these 2 pilot ops to owners as a way to save money. Pilots just enjoy being abused, ya know?

99% of the time you cant change the job, you have to change jobs.

good luck.
AMEN!!!!!!!
Sounds just like someone else we know :bawling: .
G200, Love the Avatar!! She a friend of yours??
 

some_dude

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2004
Posts
430
Total Time
342000
This won't help you much now, but next time try to negotiate for some hard days off each month before you take the job. I have done this successfully.

Then you can use contractors to fill in, if necessary.

CitationXDriver said:
This is mainly aimed at flight deptartments with 1 aircraft and 2 pilots and on a 135 certificate. I am trying to gauge how many of "us" get hard days off. My situation is on call 7 days a week with no hard days off and after having to cancel my second "mini-vacation" in 3 weeks due to last minute flights, I am not a happy camper. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind being on call and the occasional pop-up can be exciting, but I also think I should be able to make plans and not worry about having to break them. And yes, this is being written in the heat of the moment, I just had to turn the car around from a 2 day excursion with the girlfriend.
 

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
4,574
Total Time
18,550
rice said:
AMEN!!!!!!!
Sounds just like someone else we know :bawling: .
G200, Love the Avatar!! She a friend of yours??



Id love to make up a story about how Im bangin' her and my wife approves and $hit......... but in reality just some avatar I found on the web..heels like that are a favorite of mine..and thongs? c'mon we all live for those.

how sad its not reality huh?

talk to ya later!

PS - that boy really needs to talk to you about 2 pilot stuff....my guess is he aint doing it International and the hours you do......DAMN.
 
Last edited:

Thedude

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Posts
1,277
Total Time
8000+
What a/c are you flying? and at what pay rate?
I hate the part about people saying paying your dues ..in a way it is true but it still sucks.
Some 135 operatrors seem to think you need to live your life in servitude to them and the sad part is there are too many people willing to do it.
 

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Posts
1,873
Total Time
11K+
Thedude said:
What a/c are you flying? and at what pay rate?
I hate the part about people saying paying your dues ..in a way it is true but it still sucks.
Some 135 operators seem to think you need to live your life in servitude to them and the sad part is there are too many people willing to do it.
there are simply some jobs that are and will always be the kind of job that allows one to gain valuable experience while paying the bills. not the kind of places you would spend a career. "paying dues" is just another way of saying gaining experience. :)
 

JakeSnake

Active member
Joined
Sep 19, 2003
Posts
44
Total Time
8500+
I am a pilot/flight manager of a 1 aircraft flight department for a company, and the airplane is on a 135 certificate for charter opportunities. I get the same 2 days off per week every week with no obligation whatsoever to fly on my days off.
 

HMR

I Live by the River.
Joined
Dec 18, 2001
Posts
1,048
Total Time
100+
CitationXDriver- Your profile says you have 1200hrs. Is that correct? Are you typed in the plane? It sounds like the boss is a cheapskate and hired someone to keep the right seat warm. I'd get some experience and move on.

FWIW- I was hired into my first jet with ~1500TT. The owner could barely afford to keep the plane. We were on call 24/7/365. There were only 2 pilots and we were on the road all the time. They paid for my type and after I had a few hundred hours in the plane they made me captain. There was no contract involved. I built experience for 18mos and moved on. I was able to find a job with a great schedule, great boss, MX, etc. My salary also tripled. Keep your chin up and tell the GF to hang in there. There's hope.
 

Ace-of-the-Base

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Posts
440
Total Time
9,999.
semperfido said:
there are simply some jobs that are and will always be the kind of job that allows one to gain valuable experience while paying the bills. not the kind of places you would spend a career. "paying dues" is just another way of saying gaining experience. :)
I've never heard it said quite that way. Spot on!

Hope the 'pilots' on this board who are always putting down anyone who doesn't have their first jet job pay over 100K, have hard days off, no PFT or training contract, 5 star hotels, never stretching the range of the plane, etc. are listening to your wisdom.

Ace
 

Capthuff

A Pirate past 40
Joined
May 12, 2002
Posts
286
Total Time
enough
I currently fly a plane 91/135 we work for the owners of the plane and there are just two of us. How do we make it work? In our contract we have funding for contract pilots for the days we need off.
And I must say I love my job.
 

Ace-of-the-Base

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Posts
440
Total Time
9,999.
Capthuff said:
I currently fly a plane 91/135 we work for the owners of the plane and there are just two of us. How do we make it work? In our contract we have funding for contract pilots for the days we need off.
And I must say I love my job.
You love your job?? Get the heck off of this board. You don't belong here! :0

Ace
 

smellthejeta

The plane I solo'd in
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Posts
588
Total Time
afew
Ace-of-the-Base said:
You love your job?? Get the heck off of this board. You don't belong here! :0

Ace
No, I think he's one of those kids who pretends to be a pilot :)
 

G100driver

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Posts
2,096
Total Time
<2mil
When I flew 135/91 each of us took every other weekend off. It was the charter companies obligation to get coverage. No coverage no fly ...
 
Top