Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

deemee boosgkee

But it's a dry heat!
Wondering what your personal limitations are on winds for takeoff and landing. I see some of the costal airport TAF's are forecasting gusts to 42kts as a big storm system is moving onshore. As for those traversing the range what are your limitations for winds aloft (to minimize exposure to possible severe turbulence in rough terrain.) I noticed at 12,000 tomorrow morning the winds are foreceast at 80 kts give or take in the Cascades. Is it routine to fly in those conditions?

Pardon my ignorance as I am a relatively low time flatland pilot, not to mention a bit buzzed from a nice 40 of Bud!!

Last edited:
I'm not based in PDX anymore, but I spent 9 mo. flying the 'Jo on the coast runs. I've never not gone due to winds aloft, but got the crap kicked out of me many times. I never saw AMF wind speed limitations get exceeded by winds at the airport, although it's possible and it has come close. For the most part the wind was straight down the runway or a slight crosswind in Newport, North Bend and Crescent City. I've done ILS's in North Bend with close to 80 degrees of crosswind gusting to 35 kts, but was able to make it in. Nevertheless, practice makes perfect. Don't hurt yourself or the plane...

Yes, I'd say it is routine to fly in rough air on the coast, especially during the winter. It gets pretty bumpy, but I don't think I ever went through anything that was beyond the capability of the aircraft. Talk to some of the experienced 99 drivers in PDX, they will have some good advice.

If its beyond AMF limits when you check the ASOS, then divert, or maybe hold for a few minutes... Check the OPS Manual on the specifics.

Last edited:
Is it routine to fly in those conditions?

Yes.

-A former PDX coast run pilot :)

Edit: Not implying that you should attempt anything that you feel is beyond your or the airplane's capabilities, though. Don't let you-know-who in the morning in PDX push you around. :uzi:

Last edited:
40kts max. above 50kts we are not to even taxi.

I've only had a run cancelled once due to wind. Use your best judgement though. Stay safe.

Every day was a sucky day to hang out in Tillamook. What a hole. :0

The only thing that run had going for it was getting home early at night!

Saw a METAR for AST a few hrs ago and it was [FONT=Monospace,Courier]20031G60KT[/FONT]!! I'll bet that a nice cold beer is in store for the evening instead!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Well if it makes anybody feel any better, the current pilot on tillamook got pulled out of there a little after noon, so I don't think he needs any beer. Personaly he got off way too easy, especialy since I had to put up with it tonight, my plane might need a new interior.

You AMF PDX types are in luck that Gary got rid of the Caravans you had, I spent years out of PDX in the van and it handles like crap in the wind. I would take the Navajo, 99, 402, low wing any day. Fact is I hear some vans were damaged in PDX yesterday, no details, anyone hear the same?

Latest resources

Back