• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for AMF PDX pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You AMF PDX types are in luck that Gary got rid of the Caravans you had, I spent years out of PDX in the van and it handles like crap in the wind. I would take the Navajo, 99, 402, low wing any day. Fact is I hear some vans were damaged in PDX yesterday, no details, anyone hear the same?

No idea, I made it in around 7, got lucky and was one of the first AMF's in, it looked like all but maybe 3-4 of empire's vans were parked. One of the rampers said that watching one of the vans on final looked like an aerobatics show with lots of wing movement.

I was lucky and escaped the bullet by being diverted from having to cross the Cascades. Listening to the sesoned 99 pilots in front of me trade details of icing vs. turbulence ahead of me, left me with a choice of which sounded better/worse? Following their route with my double digit ground speed PA31 was not looking like fun.

As soon as Ops told me to divert I felt some relief, but there was little comfort in the rest of my flight. While being vectored for the approach the controller had to put me in a box pattern to get me down with my fast ground speed.

While on final with a 400 foot ceiling I listened to the tower report the winds every 30 seconds or so, each time it was a different intesity from a different direction. A smarter man would have thought of windshear before it hit me. As the ASI crept over 140, I thought "AMF is 120, but what does the POH say?" As the ASI went below 80 and the stall warning horn was blaring, my concern for the gear doors went away. Then the ASI went to the mid 100s again before finally settling down. Then things were calm and quiet again and I thought that wasn't so bad. When I looked at the needles they were both pegged, with the GS pegged to the top of the HSI, I thought "Where am I?"

With assistance from ATC I managed to go around without hitting anything and shoot an approach in now VFR conditions. The airport was easy to find and I could of seen it a long ways out if I had looked out the copilot's side window earlier.

I came away with a new respect for wind shear.

With assistance from ATC I managed to go around without hitting anything and shoot an approach in now VFR conditions. The airport was easy to find and I could of seen it a long ways out if I had looked out the copilot's side window earlier.

I came away with a new respect for wind shear.

I was talking with MW yesterday and now I know what he was saying about some of you guys getting some big experience points in your flight bag.

Any of you PDX'ers (or former for that matter) hear the story of a former PDX'er we lovingly called "BANK BAG"??? Rumor goes he took a Shart in a USBANK bag when flying the 402 on the coast. Couldn't hold over ONP for that long I guess...

Ask SPBRIAN about it. I'm sure he remembers the story.

Any freight pilot who doesn't consider Immodium tablets as part of their essential equipment earn lovely names like Bank Bag. Take note young pups. Also, any combination of Chipotle burritos and Kashi cereal should not be consumed within 24 hours of a flight. Things you learn when you are master of the Golgothan. That is all.

Latest resources

Back