Question about instrument checkride..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

QuasarZ

For the instrument checkride will the DE make you do steep turns, slow flight and stalls? My instructor insists that I need to practice these some more before my checkride and I am just wondering if I need them for the ride? My friend did his Instrument checkride and the DE didnt do it, so I am confused.
Thanks

i had to do step turns but not stalls. i hear they took them out of the PTS recently so you might wanna check it. but its not bad practice if you do steep turns with just refrence to just the instruments

I personally didn't on my checkride. Mainly we just hit all the instrument procedures; basic BAI, VOR tracking, holding, precisions, non-precision, GPS approaches, DME arcs, departure procedures, unusual attitudes, flying a clearance, and a circle to land.

If you look at your rusty-trusty PTS, the only maneuver listed that you mentioned that should be expected on the checkride would be the Steep Turn. However, the one I'm referencing is from a couple years ago, so even that might have been taken out as Kream mentioned.

About 16 months ago, steepturns were still required, as that was when i did my checkride.

Since i did my checkride in low IFR conditions, my "steepturn" was only a 110 degree turn on the missed on one of the approaches.

**edit: Stalls and slowflight are not on the to-do list. Your instructor needs to brush up on that. Either he really doesn't know, or he is trying to get a few more hours out of you. Tell him where to stick it :)

Last edited:
I think that doing steep turns or slow flight is kind of a waste of time because in IMC i sure as heck wont being doing them.

QuasarZ said:
I think that doing steep turns or slow flight is kind of a waste of time because in IMC i sure as heck wont being doing them.

Steep turns come in handy when ATC tells you to make an immediate turn to left/right do to traffic on collision course.

Slow flight might come in handy when ATC tells you to slow down for spacing. Either do that, or fly the same procedure again which could take up to 15 min.

So, as you can see, practicing that is not a waste of time.

mattpilot said:
Steep turns come in handy when ATC tells you to make an immediate turn to left/right do to traffic on collision course.

Slow flight might come in handy when ATC tells you to slow down for spacing. Either do that, or fly the same procedure again which could take up to 15 min.

Actually.. I know practicing isnt a waste of time.. I was just saying that in IMC conditions I wouldnt go out and purposley be doing steep turns and slow flight.

mattpilot said:

I was taught never to bank over 30 degrees when in actual IMC. And I've always used that rule and its worked fine, even if I've had to steepen it momentarily to 40-45 degrees during an intercept.

In IMC ATC is not going to have you in slow flight. All traffic will be on an IFR flight plan, and ATC will be providing sufficient spacing, or/and they'll just give you a speed restriction instead.

User997 said:
I was taught never to bank over 30 degrees when in actual IMC. And I've always used that rule and its worked fine, even if I've had to steepen it momentarily to 40-45 degrees during an intercept.

In IMC ATC is not going to have you in slow flight. All traffic will be on an IFR flight plan, and ATC will be providing sufficient spacing, or/and they'll just give you a speed restriction instead.

- The DPE wanted a 45 degree bank.

- As for slow flight - i'm not suggesting that anyone do that or even try it. We only practice it to do it above stall speed to be best prepared. But lets assume you are in IMC and ATC asks you to slow down momentarily to a speed that is at or behind the powercurve (but still way above stall speed), would you do it, or would you say unable and have ATC vector you around for a few more minutes?

Steep turns were removed from the PTS about a year ago. They added a couple things, I think they were a circle to land inst approach, GPS if A/C is equipped, and coupled approach if A/C is equipped.

Latest resources

Back