Question about instrument checkride..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RichardRambone said:
I had a vaccum failure just yesterday but thankfully we were VMC. Ill tell ya it makes me think that if it had happened during IMC (which I was in the previous flight) Id thank my lucky stars that I had a very good instrument instructor. It didnt have a turn coordinator either. Just compass, airspeed, VSI and altimeter. And if I had to shoot an approach I coulda done it but dang.

You took a plane w/o a turn coordinator into IMC?

Did it have another (backup) attitude indicator?

-mini

I didnt take the nonexistent turn coordinator into IMC but it was taken out for my next flight VMC. No backup vaccum source or attitude indicator. The airplane currently is the best partial panel IFR plane you can get.

i did an approach into Jax yesterday at 120+kts b/c they told us to keep up our speed. kinda the opposite of slowflight. the low approach and being in ground effect was a lot of fun:)

cforst513 said:
i did an approach into Jax yesterday at 120+kts b/c they told us to keep up our speed. kinda the opposite of slowflight. the low approach and being in ground effect was a lot of fun:)
I did that in a Piper Archer one time into Sky Harbor in Phoenix. We were instructed to keep the throttle at the firewall until crossing the threshold to keep ahead of a 737 behind us. When we crossed the threshold and pulled the power back, we must've floated halfway down the 12,000 foot runway! First and only time I had to use a high speed turnoff in a single-engine!

how do you do a high-speed turn-off w/out tipping the thing? how stable are cessnas and pipers? about what speeds will they tolerate before you have a wing strike b/c you turned too fast?

cforst513 said:
how do you do a high-speed turn-off w/out tipping the thing? how stable are cessnas and pipers?

Well....the 172 isn't too bad...lots of back pressure while applying the brakes and turning off....ya should be fine.

-mini

minitour said:
Well....the 172 isn't too bad...lots of back pressure while applying the brakes and turning off....ya should be fine.

-mini

Its easier to keep the nose off the ground and just try to turn it using the rudder - it won't tip ;)

Hell.. why not just land on the highspeed turn off in a 152/172? The length is usually adequate.

:rolleyes:

mattpilot said:
Hell.. why not just land on the highspeed turn off in a 152/172? The length is usually adequate.

:rolleyes:

LMFAO!

"Tower, Cessna 123...instead of keeping up the speed howzabout we just land on F2?"

"uh...say type"

"152"

"hahah okay"

LMMFAO

I so needed that...thanks!

-mini

Latest resources

Back