Question about idling on the ramp?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tumbleweed,

The T-6 takes longer to start and go than the Tweet, thanks to having a/c, some hot start issues with weak batteries, and having a GPS to play keeps most people from powering up the radios, getting a clearance and loading waypoints before cranking the engine. It is just too comfortable to be under the big glass canopy with an a/c unit that makes enough cold air to have a meat locker instead of sweating like the Tweet. Besides our idle fuel flow on the ground is only 170pph vice the almost 250 pph/per engine in the -37 where you were min fuel IFR emergency at engine start and had to do everything you could on the battery before start to save gas. Unfortunately this still wastes a lot of fuel. I ran the numbers based on the 6 nav sorties in the old syllabus and 1000 studs/year.If a student takes 5 mins off station to call Clearance Delivery, get it all straight and loaded into the GPS (most are slower, some with CFI/RJ backgrounds --i.e. ANG/RES SPs are faster, then figure out their taxi procedures, we waste about 85,000lbs of fuel per year building waypoints that could be done before start on the battery. If I have a strong battery, it isn't raining, it isn't over 90 degrees, or if a power cart is available, I always make them power up the avionics and get everything finished to include their taxi route diagrams, so that after engine start we just do the normal home station flaps, speed brake, turn stuff on checklists that only takes about 2 mins. I know it is a small drop in the bucket but I'd rather convert JP-8 to noise to move an aircraft than build waypoints and trying to get a student to understand that all the stuff the controller said before saying "then as filed" was a change and we are not cleared "as filed"

Last edited:
ha, and then after entering all of the waypoints, as soon as you get into the air half of them change anyway!!! (or at least they do for me!) :)

They're not Navy T-45 guys, no way IP's would tolerate slowness on the checklists. Besides on the road, we use cross country checklists and time between startup and taxi is very short. Occasionally it could be an issue with clearances. We park where the fuelers want us to park, which most of the time is our own little place on the ramp. Also, we don't move until we're ready to go.

The Air force in all its wisdom doesn't use flows. What should take 5 minutes takes 20 as the students fumbles through mundane items and take forever.

It must be different in the heavies vs. the fighters. You've got to get your pre-flight flows down in the sims. It's not acceptable to fumble through anything once you get to the jet.

Thanks for the T-6 info Tweetdvr...I left Vance before they switched and never got the opportunity to fly one. There is something to be said for the simple, but effective Tweet. Great for learning the basics of flight...although some more fuel efficient motors and better instruments would have been nice! Does the T-6 use any sort of DTC to store data?

In the Viper we generally start 45 min prior to t/o, so I hear you on the fuel wasted during ground ops. The GE burns about 1200pph at idle on the ground. That is the nature of the beast though when there are complex systems that need to warm-up and BIT. Especially when the whole point of the mission depends on them working properly.

In the Viper we generally start 45 min prior to t/o,

45 seems a bit long, unless it's part of an LFE or long taxi and arming delays are expected. 10-15 minutes start to taxi, then another 15-20 for Taxi to T/O is what I typically see. Maybe I've gotten spoiled in the Guard.

You're right Gunfighter...45 min is a bit on the long side. Suppose I'm getting too accustomed to the long ground ops here for combat sorties - ensuring we still meet a vul if we step to a spare. Looking forward to some nice A-A when we get home. More like 25 min start to t/o. Plus, you know AD is never going to be as efficient as the Guard...we have to build in the extra pain because we like it!!!

I did my solo X/C in the T-45 a whopping 100 miles over to Montgomery, AL. There was a couple Blackhawks with studs in them and an Air Force T-1. The T-1 was already running when I started walking to the jet...not yet dressed. I was taxiing and I hadn't even heard him call for taxi. WTF you're doing in there that takes so long is beyond me. The helo guys weren't much better. On the other hand, the T-45 never breaks and though I can "almost" get the Hornet started in the same amount of time, something always breaks so I'm inevitably idling for an hour:)

I like the attitude that IFLYABEECH had when coming and asking his question. That type of style will get you far in life and I'm sorry that honestly no one can quickly fix your problem. The fact of the matter is that from what I've seen, the heavy training birds ie T-1's, T-44's, TC-12's all take a frigain century to go anywhere and like was said before, adjusting where you park will fix your problem years before the military changes their standards on start-up checks. FYI, I always pulled away from everybody in the T-45 to load waypoints when I was too stupid to do them with the motors not running.

Does the T-6 use any sort of DTC to store data?

The GPS is a basic GA KLN 900, so there is a data card and a FAIP is the POC for keeping them all up to date, it stores 25 flight plans, the top 3 (at DLF) are empty for off station use. So we have made MOA maps and pattern flightplans that can display on either the GPS screen and or the HSI moving map, which is great for orientation, and bad for the kid who gets one that is jacked up for their checkride because they don't look outside and know ground refs or center radial/pie in the sky as well as the old days.

There are GPS training units in most of the flightrooms for demonstration purposes, you could in theory put a card in there, build some plans, and then transfer the data at the jet, once you got the engine cranked. That would probably be useful for the first flight on Friday leaving home station, but without a way to update would not be much help on the road. We have enough trouble keeping up with keys to the airplanes, just like the O2 adaptors for the 37, I could not imagine how many guys would get in trouble for losing the card or not returning the data base to local configuration after landing from cross country.

1200pph at idle, if memory serves was not that the fuel flow for WAG low level gonkulations in the 37?

Latest resources

Back