Question about ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

heph224

I understand that ExpressJet might be losing 69 aircraft starting in 2007. How many of you think that this will happen and if it does how many pilots will lose their jobs as a result. What other alternatives does ExpressJet have if this does happen? If ExpressJet does not lose these airplanes but puts in a lower bid will it ask for pilot concessions? I am looking for honest, realistic, answers here.

Thanks.

I don't mean to be condescending here, but there's a button near the top of the screen labeled "Search." Use it. This has been hashed out and discussed since the news broke; try searching for "ExpressJet 69 Aircraft" as a starting point. It will yield some threads you can start with:

"What's in Store For ExpressJet?"
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=72748

"ExpressJet...What's Really Going On?"
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=70378

"COEX Losing 69 Aircraft"
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=69211

"ExpressJet To Lose 69 A/C by 2007"
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=69216

Would love to help you out, but nobody here at XJT has any idea what the future holds. These are the only things I can tell you that I have heard from our director of flight ops concerning the 69:

1. Current upgrades have been told to expect to hold their seat.
2. In my recurrent class about a month ago, he seemed quite upbeat about the situation. Both he and our CEO have both made repeated voicemails where they seem generally interested in not losing the aircraft. whether flying them for CAL or someone else. One thing on our side is that if we decide to keep the aircraft, we will be keeping our XR, which can fly into some destinations that other 50 seat aircraft cannot. Therefore, it's not necessary to bid on current flying for another airline, but convince them maybe to add service to some destinations they couldn't touch before.

Really anything more than this would be total speculation. Plus, even optimism by our director of flight ops now could change in a few months. We'll no more towards the end of summer. Personally, I think things will turn out, but that's just a gut feeling. You won't get anything more from anyone else on this board right now.

For now I would take a deep look at even the worst case scenario - you were furloughed next year. Would gaining some 121 jet time and going through a 121 initial course be more benefecial than what you are doing now? This is much is certain, if you do come to XJT, make sure that you don't burn bridges behind you so you'll have something to try and go back to if it all goes to hell.

I agree with the toilet.

You are taking a pretty good chance if you come here. At a minimum, I would keep my logbook up to date, and keep sending those apps out.

This way you have a back up plan hopefully. Ideally things will work out and there will be no furloughs. However, if you get hired this spring and the 69 planes go in 2007... So do you. Just make sure to have a plan B if you come here now.

Either way, good luck!

heph224 said:
I understand that ExpressJet might be losing 69 aircraft starting in 2007. How many of you think that this will happen and if it does how many pilots will lose their jobs as a result. What other alternatives does ExpressJet have if this does happen? If ExpressJet does not lose these airplanes but puts in a lower bid will it ask for pilot concessions? I am looking for honest, realistic, answers here.

Thanks.

As most of the pilot group will tell you, no one really knows what is going to happen to those airplanes as of yet. Some guys I fly with are sure we are keeping the airplanes, some guys I fly with are sure we are loosing the airplanes.

Management has told us in a few voicemails and other messages that we have already put in a lower cost bid and at this point the company would make more money parking the airplanes than flying them for any less than there current low bid. They haven't asked for concessions yet and I doubt they will do so, primarily because if they do they will be voted down. Most of the people that would be furloughed (if it gets that far) aren't even voting members yet and the ones that are (from who I've talked to) say that they would rather vote "no" on a pay cut and loose their jobs than contribute to "the race to the bottom" by working for TSA or MESA style compensation and contract packages.

In response to ExpressJet's current offer Continental has put out a RFP (request for proposals) covering the 69 aircraft ExpressJet currently flies.

So a few things may happen... Continental may be posturing and trying to lower ExpressJet's price and sending the message "We've taken our pound of flesh from our mechanics, FAs, and pilots and we are getting our share from ExpressJet too" and subsequently decide to take ExpressJet's lower offer and not much will change at ExpressJet in the eyes of the pilots aside from some minor operational and efficiency issues. OR, Continental may give all or part of the flying to someone else.

If this happens ExpressJet may give the airplanes back to Continental and furlough (depending on how much flying is lost), fly for another airline with the "available aircraft", or use the aircraft in another way (like Independence).

The bottom line however, is that no one will know until Continental makes a decision and announces it. Don't believe any "done deal" statements you hear or read unless they come as a press release from Continental.

Lastly here are a few important notes:

If ExpressJet does furlough it is possible the line divisor, or the amount of hours pilots lines consist of may be lowered to make more lines and furlough less pilots. ExpressJet may also make "non-flying" lines (they pay 50% of guarantee) to furlough as few as they can. This has been done before by the company and is a viable option as the company would not want to furlough just to make immediate recalls. Many people assume that the number of airplanes lost X 10 (5 crews per airplane) would be the amount of people furloughed. This is somewhat incorrect as the amount of guys placed on furlough depends on block hours lost not airplanes lost, and does not take into account any of the job "saving" measures outlined above.

ALSO

If ExpressJet looses all 69 airplanes Continental could be planning to take more in the future as 69 was the maximum amount they were allowed to take at this time (and this was the earliest they were allowed to take them as well).

I hope this helps.

Those are some great replies from ERJ, Toilet, and TX.

It's a gamble coming here right now, but where is it not a gamble to go in this industry? This is still the best company at the “regional” level, bar none. Good luck in your decision.

TA

Latest resources

Back