Question about ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERJFO said:
If ExpressJet does furlough it is possible the line divisor, or the amount of hours pilots lines consist of may be lowered to make more lines and furlough less pilots. ExpressJet may also make "non-flying" lines (they pay 50% of guarantee) to furlough as few as they can. This has been done before by the company and is a viable option as the company would not want to furlough just to make immediate recalls.

IMHO, I would put ZERO stock into these options. Yes, we have done this after 9/11, but that was when CAL was GIVING us a bunch more block hours, not TAKING them away.

The writing is already on the wall regarding this. Look how the productivity of the line value is going up. A sign of this is the noticeably less number of commutable lines, especially in EWR.

XJT is already trying to streamline their operation as much as possible in anticipation of what might happen with the 69 planes. In 2007, if we lose that flying to CAL, it will just further cause XJT to cut as many costs as possible. Read: Less pilots, and more flying. I would expect to see the average line value go up to well over 90 hours. Also, there will be a reduction of reserve coverage, so the chance of trading your line down will be slim.

Perhaps there should be a big sign on the wall when you come in to interview. Caution: Enter at own risk.

Regardless, like I said before... Good luck to everyone.

AviatorTx said:
IMHO, I would put ZERO stock into these options. Yes, we have done this after 9/11, but that was when CAL was GIVING us a bunch more block hours, not TAKING them away.

The writing is already on the wall regarding this. Look how the productivity of the line value is going up. A sign of this is the noticeably less number of commutable lines, especially in EWR.

XJT is already trying to streamline their operation as much as possible in anticipation of what might happen with the 69 planes. In 2007, if we lose that flying to CAL, it will just further cause XJT to cut as many costs as possible. Read: Less pilots, and more flying. I would expect to see the average line value go up to well over 90 hours. Also, there will be a reduction of reserve coverage, so the chance of trading your line down will be slim.

Perhaps there should be a big sign on the wall when you come in to interview. Caution: Enter at own risk.

Jesus, so much for being optamistic.

ERJFO said:
Jesus, so much for being optamistic.

I am optimistic, but still have to be realistic also. I think there is a good chance that the Jim's can find flying for those planes with our pilots.

At the same time, I do not want to give anyone false hope. I just think that everyone interviewing here right now should have a plan B, just in case. This is one of those things that we just won't know until it either happens or it does not.

AviatorTx said:
...Less pilots, and more flying. I would expect to see the average line value go up to well over 90 hours. Also, there will be a reduction of reserve coverage, so the chance of trading your line down will be slim.

Unless something has changed, the contract limits the average line value at 88 hours.

AviatorTx said:
Read: Less pilots, and more flying. I would expect to see the average line value go up to well over 90 hours.

Overall this was a good post except for the above line. The average line value cannot contractually be above 88 hours per Section 21.D.1.a:

a. Regular lines will be constructed with a maximum of 95 block hours. Regular lines will not average more than 88 block hours in each domicile and status.

BluDevAv8r said:
Overall this was a good post except for the above line. The average line value cannot contractually be above 88 hours per Section 21.D.1.a:

a. Regular lines will be constructed with a maximum of 95 block hours. Regular lines will not average more than 88 block hours in each domicile and status.

DOH!!!!

My Alzheimers got the best of me again. Thanks for the clarification.

How about some yellow pages: Allow average line values above 88 hours if the company needs it, but pay EVERYONE in that sub-base 2x instead of 1.5x Junior Man add-pay for whatever the difference is between 88 and that months higher than normal average. Example: avg. line value is allowed to reach 89.5, we all get 1.5 hrs at 2xJMP=3 hours add pay? You have to pay everyone because everyone suffers more or less together at higher average line values.

Last edited:
Lets not forget too that CAL is getting ready to interview more XJT guys.I was told by me chief pilot there are about 400 guys from XJT with apps in.hopefully we can get a lot of them over here IN CASE the worst happens...this is somewhat of an agreement between CAL and XJt.maybe Neal knows more

CALnTX said:
Lets not forget too that CAL is getting ready to interview more XJT guys.I was told by me chief pilot there are about 400 guys from XJT with apps in.hopefully we can get a lot of them over here IN CASE the worst happens...this is somewhat of an agreement between CAL and XJt.maybe Neal knows more

I've heard this as well from 2 ca's I flew with who interviewed with CAL and were told this while they were there. I find it ironic. Here ExpressJet, we are going to kick you in the balls by pulling 69 planes but we'll give you a big sloppy wet kiss by hiring as many of your pilots as we can to mitigate furlolughs.

I'm not complaining, it's just funny.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back