• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

(qualified?) pilot shortage round 2? MPL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All part of the coming hiring boom that started this year. Oh to be 33 years old again coming out of the Navy

There was a hiring boom this year? Hmmmm.........I guess you'll have to tell that to all those furloughed United guys and other pilots forced to work in the Middle East and China because those are the only decent jobs that can be had.

give it a break man.... there is NO SHORTAGE of pilots that will apply and fill seats at the 6 legacy airlines, Fedex, UPS or Southwest...

$24/hr RJ's?? that's another story.
It has already started seeing it here on the lower end. Admittedly there is some slack is hiring chain right now. But that will be gone by 2015. At that time there will no shortage of pilots but the qualification will a shadow of what is seen in today's applicants. anyone remember the UAL hiring of 1964, Comm SEL, we will get you your MEL when you are hired.

It has already started seeing it here on the lower end. Admittedly there is some slack is hiring chain right now. But that will be gone by 2015. At that time there will no shortage of pilots but the qualification will a shadow of what is seen in today's applicants. anyone remember the UAL hiring of 1964, Comm SEL, we will get you your MEL when you are hired.

No, you've been saying that there was supposed to be a pilot hiring boom in 2012. I don't know how you define a "boom," but a trickle of hiring doesn't come close to my definition.

Here's the dictionary.com definition of "boom"
a period of rapid economic growth, prosperity, high wages and prices, and relatively full employment.

You blew that prediction for 2012. We'll see how 2013 goes.

No, you've been saying that there was supposed to be a pilot hiring boom in 2012. I don't know how you define a "boom," but a trickle of hiring doesn't come close to my definition.

Here's the dictionary.com definition of "boom"
a period of rapid economic growth, prosperity, high wages and prices, and relatively full employment.

You blew that prediction for 2012. We'll see how 2013 goes.
I suppose that is one definition of ''boom", another is a loud noise. But remember I have said it will be the start of a hiring boom. A boom being 3-4 times as many jobs as two years ago when I started posting the start of the hiring boom in 2012. The upper end of the food chain will be the last to see this hiring boom, but it is building on the lower end. AE offering a $5K bonus to sign on, it is a sign of what is going on. It will spread. Good time to be building TJ PIC in the on-demand business.

Maybe if it was now I wouldn't get out, but back in 1977, my pay was about $20K/yr, just a little above starting pay as a DAL F/O.

If you're getting out these days, it's for quality of life and to stop deploying over and over and over and over again. And over.

I suppose that is one definition of ''boom", another is a loud noise. But remember I have said it will be the start of a hiring boom. A boom being 3-4 times as many jobs as two years ago when I started posting the start of the hiring boom in 2012. The upper end of the food chain will be the last to see this hiring boom, but it is building on the lower end. AE offering a $5K bonus to sign on, it is a sign of what is going on. It will spread. Good time to be building TJ PIC in the on-demand business.

There's no boom, no nothing for 2012. Just lots of unemployed/underemployed pilots walking around. Just because some airlines might be forced to start hiring in 2013 to replace retiring pilots, doesn't mean it's a "boom" either. It's just an industry replacing retiring employees. In 2013, accounting firms and engineering firms will be replacing retiring engineers and accountants. That doesn't mean there's going to be a "hiring boom" for accountants and engineers.

I think you're confusing normal attrition for a "boom" because we have had 5 years of nothing.

I'm getting my Tug-Boat Capt. License... Now those boys still make the BIG BUCKS. And no body messes with the port hands...They have TRUE unions..
Career change anyone??

I assume you're willing to put in your time as a deck hand. And you thought doing the walkaround in nasty weather was bad.

But, seriously, the FAA (Congress) just mandated EVERY airline pilot have an ATP. Now we're gonna have people in the right seat who can't go rent a Cessna on the weekends? I'm thinking that will be a pretty hard sell to the American public.

Good thing you'll be 6 feet under by then.

Latest resources

Back