QOL at NJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matthewjohn

All of you that work there, How would you/ your family rate your QOL? Is it better than being home most every night but living on a pager? How do your kids do with you being gone 1/2 of the year and holidays? Im looking at NJA from a 91 perspective and wondering if I (my family) could do it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Please give me the negative as well as the positive.

matthewjohn said:
How do your kids do with you being gone 1/2 of the year and holidays? Im looking at NJA from a 91 perspective and wondering if I (my family) could do it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Every job has its pro's and con's. My kids miss me terribly bad, but we make do with I-Chat (Mac Book) and phone calls and a ton of post cards. And when we are on the lake for 4 days straight tubing, swimming and camping... It makes up for all those nights away. You do what you have to do, and pray things work themselves out.

Your mental health and career satisfaction has as much to do with your family's well being than you think. When I flew 121, I hated it but didn't know any better. It had a lasting effect on my marriage (which crashed and burned), and my kids. Now that I'm happy, their happy (except the ex who will never be happy).

As for holidays, an A side guy will have to answer that one.

here's my perspective..... these days is very hard to find a job where qol and salary goes hand in hand. Some airlines, you could have a better schedule(off 15-16 days) but your financial situation is doubtful. At least at netjets, you will probably (never say never-learned that from previous employment) not worry about your paycheck and benefits. financial security tips the balance with quality of life.
P.s. 14 days off a month is not a bad deal....but it could be better....

QOL at NetJets as a Thread Title?!?!?!

YGTBSM!!!

I got an idea for a thread. eccentric millionaire...is it cool?

or, A List Movie Star...are the perks worth it?

or, NASA Astronaut...is space neat?

or, septic tank emptier...does the job stink?

It doesn't take much effort to figure out what the fractional life is like. 7 on and 7 off. Nice hotels. Pretty good benefits. NetJets is the King of all Kings right now. They are the gold standard. Why would you ask if the gold is good?!? Of course GOLD IS GOOD!!!!! Why not as the King if he likes to rule? For the love of God these post are starting to wear me out!

Gonna go lay down now.

I wonder if Tiger Woods likes golf? ahh well...

g'nite.

With the 7/7 schedule you are able to plan events months, even years, in advance.
For instance, in January you could plan a week long get-a-way in October, you have week 1 and 3 off, pick your desired week, use your points and miles for an all expense paid vacay.
The only issue this brings is what will you do with your other two three week vacations periods.

All of you that work there, How would you/ your family rate your QOL? Very good QOL. Much better than my old airline and part 91 jobs. No commute, thanks pre-2005 guys, and knowing when you work a year in advance makes it the ideal job for my family and me. Is it better than being home most every night but living on a pager? I would rather tell my wife and kids that I won't make the baseball game or we need to plan the party for another weekend than not be able to make it to the event at the last minute. How do your kids do with you being gone 1/2 of the year and holidays? The kids miss me but they know when daddy is home he is there 24/7. We make the most of the seven day stretches and really enjoy the first day "on duty at residence" when they happen. (5 this year already) This year I have both Christmas and Thanksgiving off and I am very jr in my fleet. Im looking at NJA from a 91 perspective and wondering if I (my family) could do it. You are right in asking this question. If you are going to do a 7 day tour your family needs to be on board with it. It is what you make it. Either the glass is half full or half empty. I am a glass half full guy and looking down the road a few years it only gets better. At the 10 year point you get your 4th week of vacation. If you are on the 7/7 that equals 21 days off every 3 months. Not a bad way to make a solid 6 figures and only work 22 weeks a year. Thanks in advance for any input.

Please give me the negative as well as the positive.

If you have even the smallest thought of working here, fill out the app and send it in. You can always say no thank you later. Best of luck.

i don't know your age but a couple of things to consider.

7 days on can be tough if the kids are young and your spouse (if you're married) isn't terribly self-sufficient. if however they can handle you being gone for 7 days, 7 days straight at home is TREMENDOUS. this isn't like having the weekend. think of what you can do with 7 days. I personally think my QOL is far better than just about anyone else. those 7 days I'm home with my kids, we do stuff. non-stop. I'm not grabbing 2 hours in the evening and a weekend filled with yardwork - i get excellent quality time with the fam on my week off.

the predictability is terrific. Of course, if one of your kids has a b-day on a work week - there's a good chance you'll miss it. but hey, at least you know early on that it's coming.

lastly, (and this is where your age is a player) if you can make it past 10 years at netjets you'll have the ability to make full salary while only being on the road around 18 weeks a year. 18 out of 52 sounds skippy to me..........:laugh:

Having done both the 121 and the netjets gig, I can say that there are positives and negatives to both. At the airline I never missed a birthday or anniversary after my second year (I made a point of staying senior and waiting for upgrades.) Also I was never gone away from home more than 5 days at a time and normally 4 and sometimes 3. On the negative side of the 121 experience you often had to sweat the commutes when weather was bad or loads were extremely heavy. 7 days away from home is a long time, but then 7days straight at home is nice. Also if your family is flexible you can celebrate those special events when you are home instead of when they fall on the calendar. At netjets you never have to sweat the commute. Once you're at your base, of which there are 100, it is the company's problem to get you to your plane. Netjets also gives you 21 days off when you take 7 days vacation, which is better than my former airline. Netjets pays you holiday pay and overtime pay which is also a nice perk. At netjets you don't have to pay a monthly premium for your medical and dental. At this point in time and for the foreseeable future the the job security at Netjets is better than at any part 121 passenger carrier or part 91 operation. Finally, netjets will spare no expense to get you home immediately if you have any sort of family emergency.

I was in the same position, wondering if we (my family and I) could live with the 7 and 7 schedule. To tell you the truth I love it and I bid a schedule that right now gives me Holloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas off. I have show at home days that average at least once a month so that equals 12 extra off days. I have the option to work more if I want and I get paid well for it, if I do. The holidays I do work, I get extra for. The time I do have at home is longer and quality family time. Add the two weeks of vacation and there are two months out of the year that I get 21 days off in a row.

I don't need to buy food on the road because we have crew meals. I don't pay one dime for incredible health, vision and dental insurance. I elect to pay a small amount for legal, and extra life insurance. While on the road I routinely stay in four star hotels with crew lounges, workout facilities, and with more rest time than I ever had at the airlines. I collect points which more than compensates for the loss of the flippin' jump seat. I have real job security with a huge variety of flying and equipment options. Not to mention a bright future.

I am a lucky man and don't think I will be seeking a new career anytime soon, if ever. I really don't miss part 121 at all.

It is not for everyone and the grass always seems greener somewhere. For me the grass is pretty frickin' green here. Those that feel the need to fly a "big" airplane, need not apply. Those that take pride in their profession and truly desire to provide a one of a kind customer experience; you will love every minute of it and be very welcome. Also the 100 bases are nice.

Good Luck
:pimp:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back