• Friendliest aviation community on the web
" YOU CAN BE AN AIRLINE PILOT!
15 DAYS OFF PER MONTH
FREE TRAVEL
FLY A $25 MILLINON DOLLAR JET AT MACH .76
THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT!
LEARN HOW
ATP"

Ad from the left side of this page... You know they are deprate with ads like this

The firefox add-on called adblock works miracles. I click them once and then it takes care of them.

" YOU CAN BE AN AIRLINE PILOT!
15 DAYS OFF PER MONTH
FREE TRAVEL
FLY A $25 MILLINON DOLLAR JET AT MACH .76
THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT!
LEARN HOW
ATP"

Ad from the left side of this page... You know they are deprate with ads like this

Aren't most regional jet .85 aircraft?

Aren't most regional jet .85 aircraft?

Not the ERJ. .78 in the ER/LR and .80 in the XR. Otherwise, it gets very annoying with the "DING DING DING...HI STEVE"

lastly, (and this is where your age is a player) if you can make it past 10 years at netjets you'll have the ability to make full salary while only being on the road around 18 weeks a year. 18 out of 52 sounds skippy to me..........:laugh:

Hmmm ... on the 7&7 there are approx 26 weeks of work available. After 10 years you have 4 weeks of vacation plus another week of PTO. That leaves 21...

If your including the 3 weeks of training, thats still time away from home. Am I missing something?

With the 7/7 schedule you are able to plan events months, even years, in advance.

Not years in advance ... Since IBB we now have an open bid period once a year where you can get bumped off your 7 & 7 line.

This from the ATPs site. No shortage it seems.

So how many are getting furloughed now?

July 2008
Hired
Matthew Higdon
375 TT & 127 ME
Matthew began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on November 26, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Matthew 7 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,495.

Christopher (Privacy Requested)
Christopher began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on September 10, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Christopher instructed at the ATP DWH Training Center. Mesa Airlines hired Christopher 9 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,495.

June 2008
Leon Gray
650 TT & 420 ME
Leon began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on June 4, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Leon instructed at the ATP DAB Training Center. Comair hired Leon 12 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $53,000.

Joseph Tate
250 TT & 135 ME
Joseph began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on August 6, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Joseph 10 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $62,000.

Beau Linn
250 TT & 135 ME
Beau began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on November 12, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Beau 7 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,000.

Brandon Hayes
Brandon began ATP’s CFI Program on January 3, 2008. Brandon instructed at the ATP PHX Training Center. Comair hired Brandon 5 months after starting training with ATP.

John Nisbet
420 TT & 330 ME
John began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on September 10, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. John instructed at the ATP PFN Training Center. Colgan Air hired John 9 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $51,995.

Michael (Privacy Requested)
Michael began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on July 23, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Michael instructed at the ATP DFW Training Center. Comair hired Michael 10 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $49,995.

Jacob (Privacy Requested)
715 TT & 380 ME
Jacob began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on December 4, 2006. Jacob instructed at the ATP LGB Training Center. Comair hired Jacob 18 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $53,990.

Anthony Jones
Anthony began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on May 28, 2007. Anthony instructed at the ATP Training Center. Airnet Express hired Anthony 12 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $44,995.

Just wait until the current airline downturn writes itself down, and there is a temporary surge of hiring on the backside amidst all the attrition (from early retirements, ship jumping to corporate/frac/overseas jobs, and career changes)... You'll see another wave of SJS-to-heavy-jet-syndrome newbies wailing on fractional and corporate as beneath them and working too hard, with stars in their eyes and dreams of 20 days off a month for hefty six figure paychecks. Then within a year or two the airlines will go from full hiring to massive furloughing in the space of a few weeks, and the cycle will repeat. 121: thanks for the memories, but no thanks.

91, I can't speak of. While I can't imagine living on a pager on days off, packing up to some widget maker's HDQ in Podunk, or worrying about a flight department being closed at some accountant's whim, I know that fantastic, 2 nights a month away from home corporate jobs exist. I also know that those guys love to make fun of us golden tie guys doing the FBO rot thing while they go straight to the hotel or golf course for a 36 hour overnight, so it's all relative. I am happy as a clam versus the airline life, though, even in my APU-less U-boot.

So how many are getting furloughed now?

July 2008
Hired
Matthew Higdon
375 TT & 127 ME
Matthew began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on November 26, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Matthew 7 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,495.

Christopher (Privacy Requested)
Christopher began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on September 10, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Christopher instructed at the ATP DWH Training Center. Mesa Airlines hired Christopher 9 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,495.

June 2008
Leon Gray
650 TT & 420 ME
Leon began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on June 4, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Leon instructed at the ATP DAB Training Center. Comair hired Leon 12 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $53,000.

Joseph Tate
250 TT & 135 ME
Joseph began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on August 6, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Joseph 10 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $62,000.

Beau Linn
250 TT & 135 ME
Beau began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on November 12, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Pinnacle Airlines hired Beau 7 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $52,000.

Brandon Hayes
Brandon began ATP’s CFI Program on January 3, 2008. Brandon instructed at the ATP PHX Training Center. Comair hired Brandon 5 months after starting training with ATP.

John Nisbet
420 TT & 330 ME
John began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on September 10, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. John instructed at the ATP PFN Training Center. Colgan Air hired John 9 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $51,995.

Michael (Privacy Requested)
Michael began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on July 23, 2007, and then completed ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Certification. Michael instructed at the ATP DFW Training Center. Comair hired Michael 10 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $49,995.

Jacob (Privacy Requested)
715 TT & 380 ME
Jacob began ATP’s Private Pilot & Airline Career Pilot Programs on December 4, 2006. Jacob instructed at the ATP LGB Training Center. Comair hired Jacob 18 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $53,990.

Anthony Jones
Anthony began ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program on May 28, 2007. Anthony instructed at the ATP Training Center. Airnet Express hired Anthony 12 months after starting training with ATP. Total fixed cost for airline training program: $44,995.

Remind me not to fly on Pinnacle, Mesa, or Comair any time soon if I can POSSIBLY avoid it.

I am on the last day of my 3 day tour after being home for 5 weeks and 6 days using 2 weeks vacation, 3 pto days and FMLA on the 18 day schedule. It has been a hell of a summer. I came home June 8th.

I have vacation again next month and I will work 10 days total. My w2 will be over 155k this year with zero extended days.

I flew 2 legs this tour....overnight in Sun Valley and Jackson Hole and I airline home today. I look like a heroin addict from all the bruises on my arms from pinching myself. This is a great job.

Let me see if I can spell it out to sound the way I am trying to say it: pret-ty darn goooood.
At the airlines, even with 18 days off, commuting to IAD from PHX was bad. I actually got to spend about 5 or 6 real days home. The worst commute home took nearly 3 days: IAD-CMH-IND-DEN-SFO-PHX.
I work the 15 day schedule, which for me and mine is good. Most guys don't like the unpredictability, but I like the fact that there are 15 real days HOME and another 6 or so days "half home". Never gone more than 3 entire days, and if scheiss hits the fan at the homefront while I am away, the wife can get through it for 2 or 3 days when I get home to stomp out whatever the fire was.
The pay is good too, who ever heard of an FO of a 16,000 lb airplane making more than a 50 seat jet CA with 4 yrs? Medical, I can go on and on. QOL is good from where I stand, and the family is happy too.
Now for a legacy guy who is used to the major airline CA seat over many yrs, NJA may not be his cup of tea, but unless you are already there, widebody CA with the $350,000 is never going to happen again.

Latest resources

Back