Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Qol

Dude,

I'm currenty on vacation from NJA. I actually got home 1 day early from recurrent so I'm actually off for 23 days. Like everyone says, it's a balance but even in the airlines, you still work about the same amount of days. 7 days off in a row is a long time, but I feel 7 days on the road with NJA seems shorter. Pick the schedule you want but there are alot of perks here.

Think more along the lines of what aviation job is least likely to furlough and provide a more stable environment for your family. Lets put it this way, United or American can come knocking on my door today, but I'd just close the door. I've decided to drive the limo and not the bus.

Hope that helps.

All of you that work there, How would you/ your family rate your QOL? Is it better than being home most every night but living on a pager? How do your kids do with you being gone 1/2 of the year and holidays? Im looking at NJA from a 91 perspective and wondering if I (my family) could do it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Please give me the negative as well as the positive.

Lets put it this way, United or American can come knocking on my door today, but I'd just close the door.

At this point I would chase :uzi:them off my land with shotgun in hand.

Especially, with the service I have been getting lately. :puke:

At this point I would chase :uzi:them off my land with shotgun in hand.

Especially, with the service I have been getting lately. :puke:

Service? Service is just a word they use......;)

And now a word on QOL.

Sorry, my eyes got crossed at the whole President (of past) debate. I won't even start with it.

My family (wife) was very concerned about the "six months in a hotel room" idea. But, living in Southern California near 4 of our busiest airports, I had a bunch of overnights where the family came down to hang out with me. Was like I hardly worked that first year! Had so much fun with the family I could hardly stand it. My previous job required 60 to 70 hours dedicated to work - no family interaction was allowed. So, NJA was quite the breath of fresh air to my family.

Other things helped too, as I left a desk job of $85K to take a flying job at $27K, my inlaws were a bit concerned. The Union (which I was sceptical about) increased my salary from $27K to $130K in only 6 years. I now have 3 weeks of vacation a year (I never had a job with real vacation before). I work the 18 day (not recommended, but required), to increase my investments (mostly real estate - but starting to look at the market again).

I used to be "fearful" at work as to my boss' mood concerning if I would even have a job next month. Well, last year NJA fired two pilots (one most likely will be re-instated before the end of the year and the other one is in jail for non-pilot stuff). Now, I feel good about just being a good pilot, doing a great job and loving my family!

So out of the "26 weeks" on the road, remember you see your family on day one and day seven of each tour . . . two of those weeks are at home (or in a free Hilton Hotel somewhere), sometimes you are close to home and the family gets a free mini-vacation (I just spent 4 days with my family at a San Diego hotel on 'Hotel Standby'".

All in all. Best job I ever had. I'm loving it!

6 year guy here, on the U-Boat.

Yeah, the U-Boat sucks . . .

I fly almost twice a day on tour and average 1 day at the hotel on standby. I make 130k+, 3 weeks vacation . . . pinch (ouch!) must not be dreaming!

Gonna sweat it out in the Ultra - thanks! I happen to like it there! Then I'll bid the 4000 - so I'll never have to go to work (and still get my paycheck).

And before I get blasted, I did work hard in the past, real hard. Just enjoying the null of the storm right now in this particular fleet.

Latest resources

Back