Qatar New Pilot Bond

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AGVMIA

Will a current Qatar pilot please confirm the new bond repayment scheme? Are they actually deducting 1/2 of the training costs over 2 years? (Reimburse you after 3??). Thank you

Yes they are. Comes out 1000 bucks/mnth for 24 mths. If terminated they keep the cash. Unless you are desperate and unemployed stay home. Read on PPRUNE most unfortunately very true.

So the salary increase (based on 70 blk hrs) from 7,100 to 8,100 USD will now be negated by punishing you for a bond?

Most bonds are just signed statements that you will stick around for 2-3 years, and if you leave, you have to pay a prorated amount back. WHY would they withold it out of your salary? $1000 over 24 months is 24,000 witheld, not earning any interest or not being able to invest in something usefull. This is a draconian policy, and for me, would be a dealbreaker.

If pilots were not signing onto this deal and instead refusing their offers citing this wouldn't even exist.

Its like Regionals here, the reason they pay criminal wages is because there is an endless stream of folks will to work for those criminal wages.

Its simple, if folks would stand on principal and stop taking these jobs, this crap wouldn't even exist.

unfortunately TMMT, while i see your point, you're pissing into a fan...

Most bonds are just signed statements that you will stick around for 2-3 years, and if you leave, you have to pay a prorated amount back. WHY would they withold it out of your salary?

A bond is an insurance policy of sorts, people are leaving as soon as they get their 500 on type to other well paid jobs even taking the hit on the bond because they still come ahead on the long run, so the companies that issue these bonds are getting more strict about issuing them, there are penalties associated with the payment of the bonds because of the number of claims.

A bond is an insurance policy of sorts, people are leaving as soon as they get their 500 on type to other well paid jobs even taking the hit on the bond because they still come ahead on the long run, so the companies that issue these bonds are getting more strict about issuing them, there are penalties associated with the payment of the bonds because of the number of claims.
Most training bonds are non-contributory, and nothing is deducted or owed until you leave in a time less than the bond lenght. To simply take out the entire bond amount of 36,000 for 3 years at 1,000 a month is just plain crazy. It speaks volumes to how this airline operates. Emirates requires a 3-yr training bond, but you do not pay unless you leave. And, you do not lose anything out of your monthly salary for the bond amount. $1,000 a month that Qatar takes out is a LOT. Heck, that right there could be an expensive toy. Or money that could be used to pay for school, since Qatar covers only what? 1 kid? Or money that could be used to save for retirement, considering Qatar has no retirement scheme/fund? No wonder QR is now hiring more Second Officers than First Officers. Only SOs, mostly low timers off from piston and turboprop operations are going there now. While I once considered Qatar to be a place for viable employment, I cannot fathom going there now considering the facts of how these people run the airline. One look at a 5-minute video clip of CEO Al-Akbar makes me cringe!

Don't know why you are so fixated on the sandpit Flyer, you should take a look at the entire picture.

Most training bonds are non-contributory, and nothing is deducted or owed until you leave in a time less than the bond lenght. To simply take out the entire bond amount of 36,000 for 3 years at 1,000 a month is just plain crazy. It speaks volumes to how this airline operates. Emirates requires a 3-yr training bond, but you do not pay unless you leave. And, you do not lose anything out of your monthly salary for the bond amount. $1,000 a month that Qatar takes out is a LOT. Heck, that right there could be an expensive toy. Or money that could be used to pay for school, since Qatar covers only what? 1 kid? Or money that could be used to save for retirement, considering Qatar has no retirement scheme/fund? No wonder QR is now hiring more Second Officers than First Officers. Only SOs, mostly low timers off from piston and turboprop operations are going there now. While I once considered Qatar to be a place for viable employment, I cannot fathom going there now considering the facts of how these people run the airline. One look at a 5-minute video clip of CEO Al-Akbar makes me cringe!

First of all, the bond deduction is for 18 months, not 36, AND IT IS FULLY REFUNDED TO YOU at the end of the 36 INITIAL months. Think of it as a savings account, albeit forced on you. This is only a concern to people who don't plan to stay there the full 3 years. The deduction is $1,400 a month for 18 months ($25k), you get this $25k back after 36 months. Then no further bonds between aircraft movements.

If you can get in now, it is great time. It is still relative early in the growth phase, where as Emirates is farther along the growth phase and upgrades are slower.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back