• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Q: For Ex-airline guys at NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding is that the reserve 18-day lines are normally being held by junior pilots, yes? I've also heard that the 18 day reserve line isn't anything like a legacy carrier reserve line; rather, one can expect to fly quite a bit during their reserve period. True?

Doing the math from the tables at Airline Pilot Central, the daily rate is the same regardless of schedule, the difference in pay coming from the extra 34 days per year. So is it possible to continue to bid and hold reserve lines for the extra $?

I spent 14 years at US Airways and 2 years at Mesa afterwards. I like NetJets enough that I won't go back to Airways when and if they ever recall me. The pay is very close to what I'd make at US Airways and the benefits and job security are much better. I've even quit trying to get on with SWA or JetBlue. There's just too much turmoil in the Part 121 airline industry right now.

I'm on the Ultra. That and the Hawker 400XP (aka BeechJet 400) are junior for Captains and to a lesser extent for F/O's. About half my trips all I do is airline the 1st and last day. Sometimes I fly an Ultra from my home base, sometimes I bring one back in at the end of a trip. I just started doing 7 day trips, my first was on 12-26 and I just finished my 2nd trip (reserve schedule). On the 1st trip I was supposed to airline and fly one leg but thanks to Delta MX all I did was go to the hotel on day 1. I wound up just airlining home the last day and was in by noon (not typical). My 2nd trip I drove a rental car about 80 miles and went to the hotel on day one. The last day I was on the opposite coast and scheduled to just airline home but overnight they added a pax leg so we flew that and then airlined home. I got in around 9pm, again not typical to be that late. The 14 hour duty day applies even if you're just airlining home. You can waive it and collect the overtime if you prefer, or you can make them get you a hotel room and collect an extra $321 for getting home after midnight (1st year F/O rate)

Legs per day vary widely from fleet to fleet. On the Ultra most legs are under 2 hours and it's unusual to fly more than 4 legs per day. The most flying I've done at NetJets in one day was last summer when I flew Corpus Cristi, TX to Kissimmee, FL, fuel stop in Louisana, then on to Scottsdale, AZ. About 8.5 hours total and they still wanted us to ferry to LAX but we turned it down.

Reserve was junior assigned on some fleets but only around 54 pilots out of 2300 had that happen. No problem getting reserve if you want the extra $$$. This is not airline reserve. Normally you either work or you don't. For January my tentative schedule was posted on the company website and so far they've adhered to it. I'm doing 7 day trips with 4 or 5 days off in between. If my next day off isn't a mandatory one (like 4 days off after a 7 day trip) then I have to call in by 1900 to make sure I'm not working the next day. But if they keep me on 7 day trips then there's not much room to change my schedule.

I think I covered all the questions, if not let me know.

AirBear

Our family has adjusted to the schedule. As our daughter has gotten older (turning 5 this month) she can deal with her dad being gone a week at a time. Our 10 yr old son complained bitterly about his dad being underpaid last year. Now his attitude is closer to ours--the pay is worth it. His suggestions for his dad to become a mailman have dropped off. :)

Do a lot with your children when you're home and they'll forgive you when you're gone. Call home every night and bring them treats from the road. Good luck with your decision, which is a family affair.

Ok say you have a problem at home and you are in the middle of a 7 day trip. Would the company help you out to get home ASAP?

Really there is no comparison. I watch so many of my 121 buddies scramble to do their laundry during the 2 days they get off a free from work and or commuting just so they can get back on the bus and go to work... if there is a seat.

The only thing I missed was my "4 day family".... working together as a team of more than 2 or 3 people towards a common goal. The 5 crew dynamic is different that 2 or 3. I got over that quickly though.

Food is better.

Terminals are better (you can actually get outside without a body cavity search).

Pay is by far better than the regionals/nationals and some majors.

Benes are far better than even the majors.

No pension... but the man takes that away from the little guy anyway. It's the cool thing to do these days. 401K with 50% match to the federal limit. Cha Ching.

7 days on, 7 days off or 18 day random groupings of work days.

Growth that isn't tied to labor give backs (only to have the growth stopped after 20% of the promised growth and farmed out to a contract carrier).

New equipment.

Sports car like flying compared to a big bus or a semi. Very sporty.

You will not know where you will be on Wednesday but who give a rip. Pack for Barbados to Buffalo... it pays the same. Not knowing where I was going did takes some getting used to. Now it's kinda fun to guess where you will end up. So long as my food is there I could care less though.

2 weeks of vacation that turn into 6 with the 7n7. Ummm.... it does not get better than that.

Domicile basing for newhires without the ability to jumpseat or commute for free... sucks.

OCP said:
Ok say you have a problem at home and you are in the middle of a 7 day trip. Would the company help you out to get home ASAP?

Not only will they get you home but if its quicker you will fly your jet home asap. 3 years ago my mother was rushed to the ER, sister called. I called the company and within 5 mins they said take the X home. Sent the release and flight plan asap and we were gone. One thing NetJets has always done is get crew-members home in any kind of situation no questions asked. So if you are worried about this here DON'T be. This is one area NetJets does shine in.

Mach92 said:
Not only will they get you home but if its quicker you will fly your jet home asap. 3 years ago my mother was rushed to the ER, sister called. I called the company and within 5 mins they said take the X home. Sent the release and flight plan asap and we were gone. One thing NetJets has always done is get crew-members home in any kind of situation no questions asked. So if you are worried about this here DON'T be. This is one area NetJets does shine in.

WOW! Impressive.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back