Purchasing Multi time .. best route?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedheadCFI

I have 120 hours of multi right now and I'm looking to get a little bit more. My school provides a "charter operation" in which students pay to fly right seat or in my case, left seat on dead legs and vfr days. Regardless, its a pay to play operation utilizing 340's and a 421. Most guys are getting about 40hrs out of the deal. I'm debating on whether to do that or go next door and rent a seminole splitting the cost with someone else. I figure I can run about 80hrs in the seminole for the same price of the charter program. Which looks better, the heaveier twin cessna's under the "charter ops" or the seminole time which would probably be mostly ifr night cross country logged as dual given? Any ideas?? Thanks, -Nick

With my limited knowledge, I would think that unless you can count the "charter" thing as Part 135 experience, it doesn't mean anything.

If it were turboprop time, that might be different, because you can count that as "turbine" time, but otherwise, Cessna 340/421, so what?

Go for the cheaper option would be my thought...

Jason

Why buy time?? You are an MEI - people should be paying you. I realize pilots have a tendency to want that "all important multi time", however, just keep flying and keep current and the multi time will come.
It is just WRONG for someone to charge someone else to sit in an airplane that is producing revenue.

In my opinion the Seminole time is better time.

Cappy

Capthuff said:
Why buy time?? You are an MEI - people should be paying you. I realize pilots have a tendency to want that "all important multi time", however, just keep flying and keep current and the multi time will come.
It is just WRONG for someone to charge someone else to sit in an airplane that is producing revenue.

In my opinion the Seminole time is better time.

Cappy

Ahh, I missed that part...

I thought he was going to be doing ferry flights, deadheading flights, etc...

If the company is making something on the flight, and you're a "required" crewmember, then yes you should get paid for that, don't pay for it.

My misunderstanding...

Jason

Hey capn,

I really appreciate your advice and I agree with you fully, however, the area that I am in limits my activity as an MEI. The school I'm teaching at now flies 310's for primary multi trainers and those flights are limited to tenure check airmen only. Seems far from fair to us little guys trying to go somewhere compared to those guys who quit logging. Regardless, the reason I need the multi time is because I am graduating in a year and plan to take an internship with ata or chicago ex. The school has placed about 4 guys in the last year that had 600hrs with 150multi. I don't want to buy the time, but then I don't want to lose the chane of a job offer just cause I'm 50hrs short on multi, and due to my location now there is no where to instruct in the multi. The seminole that is for rent is only flown by the owner of that FBO for training, I've tried every aspect I can think of to get in there and get my butt in the right seat of the twins but I'm out of ideas. Thanks again for looking over my post .-Nick

Last edited:
I don't mean to flood the thread here, but the charter program is not making money. It is a university program that is seen as non-profit. The only people that they fly are university or state related personnel, they do not accept outside clients. I know that really doesn't matter, I don't want to have to pay for the time. I mean I paid to get my ratings they should pay me to use them right!? However, as I said earlier I definately will need additional multi time coming out on the other end of the internship to get an interview. Just had to clarify. -Nick

Ok if it is a non-profit enterprise (like most aviation enterprises) how is it they charge ppl to sit in the right seat?
Is the CP just putting the money in his pocket?
It is just wrong to charge for it. Who ever made this policy should be tarred and feathered. As a CP they have to understand how tough it is and they should be willing to help out their CFI staff.
I think you should use the Seminole for 2 reasons
1) Legitimate PIC XC Night
2) dont give them the idea that it is ok to charge for the right seat of anything.

As pilots, in our careers, most of us have had the opportunity to pay for the seat - some do - some don't. It has been discussed many times on this site and it seems to me the general concensus is that pilots that don't pay for a seat have more respect from their peers and for themselves.
You are putting alot of pressure on yourself to get going and that is commendable - please dont pay for a seat.

Cappy

Oh and another thing -
If you dont get an 8410 PIC for the 340/421 then the "charter ops" dont mean a thing.

right seat

I'm so sick of trying to get twin time. Without it nothing is ever going to happen in the dream career.

You can't rent or flight instruct in one unless you have 100 hours in make and model if then due to insurance.

Can't get hired unless you have 200+ hours multi.

Everyone gets mad if you pay for it. Oh, just wait it will happen is just getting old. Maybe if your 20-25 years old you can wait.

I've waited flight instructed 1700 hrs paid my dues have my ATP and have only been able to beg 130 hours of twin time in my region.

I'm done. Buying the job and moving on with the dream. Hope wanting it that bad and really trying to pay the dues will ease the dislike of me for just giving in.

Windsock,

I feel for you. Luckily enough when I did my commercial training I did it all in a twin. I was told to do so by many pilots and the advice came in handy. You are so right though, trying to get hired to instruct in a twin is almost impossible. I think its just getting the first 200 or 300 hours that is the key. If i have to bite the bullet I'm going to make it worth it and take monthly trips to florida, hopefully I can get some guys to buy seats in the back.. wait, did I just say that :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back