• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Way2Broke vbmenu_register("postmenu_1589830", true);
Night Shift Moderator

FREE AIRPLANE RENTALS, BUILD TIME
Being a Pilot Is Alright!
Trogdor!

Hey W2B,

That is some seriously wierd stuff you link to there. Do you actually have other pilots who fly with you? How drastically are they changed by the experience?

Hats off to the out-of-the-box thinkers.

DC8

http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

Get a pager and come to YIP and maybe you will understand.

Nevermind, I see you flew a Jetstream as well, you already get it.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised with the number of GA planes that go out and leap frog the Pacific. At least with the van you can carry a good raft and rations.

Plus there is no better way to think about your future in aviation than while floating in a 3 person raft in the Pacific. A place were you are no longer on top of the food chain.

Well if you think about it, you're physically located at the top of the food chain. The vast majority of things that would eat you are located underneath you (with only a 1/8 slab of rubber between you and the dinner bell).

A 'van going at best power will give you roughly 350pph on the fuel flow, give or take a dozen or so. The stock tanks have 2224 pound capacity. I flew the things in freight ops so we were always balls to the wall, I would imagine that pulling one back to max economy will really sip the jet-a. A grand 'van in the freight configuration runs about 4700 pounds empty, and with a MGW increase kit they can top out on the ramp above 9000.

That thing must have been a flying gas can with at least another 2500 pounds worth in interior aux tanks as well as the wing tanks being topped. Prolly didn't have a pod on it either, that thing is huge drag. I know I wouldn't want to make that hop, not only for the sky high pucker factor but also for the mind numbing boredom. I hope that pilot had a protable dvd player plugged into the aux power socket and the entire lord of the rings trilogy (but would still have a few hours to spare).

I was pondering the 5000 lb comment.

4700+5000=9700 not including tank weight, pilot,
raft, rations.

It'll fly at 1000 over gross (er...so I've heard :erm:)

Also, 5000 lb at 315lb/hr (slow cruise) = about 15.5
(includes takeoff and climb). It doesn't take much of
a wind change to suck up 1-2 hr of reserves on that
length of flight.

BTW, what MGW increase mods are there?

CE

When I took a new Warrior over, the backseat was out, replaced by a 55 gallon barrel tank, and a smaller tank, about 30 gallons was where the front right seat would have been.

On westbound ferry flights in the Van, they take off out of Goose Bay or St Johns, climb up fairly high to get a nice push from westerly winds while using oxygen, and can get to Shannon Ireland (I think that airport is less friendly for ferry planes now, many go to Wick Scotland) with ferry tanks no problem.

A Cheyenne II can make it from St Johns to Azores without any tanks if flown right and with tailwinds

The van was for Mokulele airlines. The guy flying it has done a ton of flights across the pond!

When Mokulele changed from chieftains to vans he flew the chieftains back to the mainland. Does all the flying by himself and does bring anything except a book for entertainment.

Does all the flying by himself and does bring anything except a book for entertainment.

But what we all want to know is, do these books have lots of pictures?

Latest resources

Back