Pt.135 On-Demand,Pax or Freight,Mgmt adherence to FAR'S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
getting small time 135ers tobe ethical is a pipe dream, a crack pipe dream

the reality is these small operators don't have th capital or the cash flow needed to operate these aircraft under such low utilization.

charter by its name is inherently sporadic. you can't make aircraft pay unless they're flown regularly.

these operators cut the corners because there is such low oversight by the fed POI assigned to them. that's why they call it the tombstone agency.

going forward, they can't pay the bills or these days the insurance to stay in business for the scraps they get unless they do some pencil whipping or fail to write up the little crap.

the little crap isn't going to kill you, but yeah it is suppose to be addressed.

what is killing these guys are the huge marketing firms that advertise and sell trips to the lowest bidder to compete with Netjets and on your ramp flies in a 30 year old Lear 25. If I was the rich guy, I 'd send it back and demand a ten year old or newer airplane.

bottom line, it is a fantasy to think this problem will go away. the fed would have to double in size to police it, and since most POIs are former operators themselves and A-hole buddies with the guys they'd be writing up, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

New REG'S for 135 on-Demand charter

climbhappy said:
the reality is these small operators don't have th capital or the cash flow needed to operate these aircraft under such low utilization.

charter by its name is inherently sporadic. you can't make aircraft pay unless they're flown regularly.

these operators cut the corners because there is such low oversight by the fed POI assigned to them. that's why they call it the tombstone agency.

going forward, they can't pay the bills or these days the insurance to stay in business for the scraps they get unless they do some pencil whipping or fail to write up the little crap.

the little crap isn't going to kill you, but yeah it is suppose to be addressed.

what is killing these guys are the huge marketing firms that advertise and sell trips to the lowest bidder to compete with Netjets and on your ramp flies in a 30 year old Lear 25. If I was the rich guy, I 'd send it back and demand a ten year old or newer airplane.

bottom line, it is a fantasy to think this problem will go away. the fed would have to double in size to police it, and since most POIs are former operators themselves and A-hole buddies with the guys they'd be writing up, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Lets have a special POVERTY section of new reg's for 135 operators so they can get WAIVERS for violating those reg's in those areas which you mention,such as MEL's,maint,record-keeping,flight & duty time and the rest of the reg's they do not feel they need to comply with,especially their OPS manual etc.

A lot of people have more money than BRAINS,when they decide to get into on-demand charter,then they figure out they CANNOT AFFORD to do maintenance,then they end up with no money and no brains, out of business

Go ahead and propose it,and see how far you get!!!

Last edited:
quote: GO AHEAD AND PROPOSE IT! by G-force.
I didn't propose anything.
I believe I said, "it ain't gonna happen" so my point is as I explained the reality as to why it occurs. it is ludicrous to suggest a poverty section. The Fed operates on an honor system. it always has. it is so easy to pencil whip flight duty times as a small operator I don't know why you are so preoccupied with it. At airlines there is crew scheduling, dispatch and alot bigger staff to handle those things.

I would liken this probelm as you see it to the same reality that exists in trying to convince prosecutors to go after small tme thugs,loan sharks etc. they're always after the big fish. always. It is just the way the world works.

It won't change. it's the way it is. that is why people leave and do other things.

The POINT !!!!

climbhappy said:
quote: GO AHEAD AND PROPOSE IT! by G-force.
I didn't propose anything.
I believe I said, "it ain't gonna happen" so my point is as I explained the reality as to why it occurs. it is ludicrous to suggest a poverty section. The Fed operates on an honor system. it always has. it is so easy to pencil whip flight duty times as a small operator I don't know why you are so preoccupied with it. At airlines there is crew scheduling, dispatch and alot bigger staff to handle those things.

I would liken this probelm as you see it to the same reality that exists in trying to convince prosecutors to go after small tme thugs,loan sharks etc. they're always after the big fish. always. It is just the way the world works.

It won't change. it's the way it is. that is why people leave and do other things.

It seems to be like you said,but that is still NO-EXCUSE!! Wait until somebody gets killed,and they,the FEDS trace it back to a REG VIOLATION,then they want to CLEAN EVERYBODY'S CLOCK.Staffing levels are down at most FSDO's in the country anyway.

This is why the FAA is called "THE TOMBSTONE AGENCY!!!!!"

NOTHING happens untill somebody gets KILLED!!!!

Last edited:
dude, are we debating or are you agreeing with me?

In my third paragraph in my first post I say exactly what you just stated about the fed being a tombstone agency. are you agreeing with me or debating me?

To answer your rebuttal re: It is NO EXCUSE!

Look, Again I say, the FAA is never ever and ( i don't care if there is a crash and a reg is violated) going to staff to the level which will provide the kind of scrutiny you keep insisting is necessary to somehow assure compliance or 100 percent adherence to. Period.

You are acting as if (like in manufacturing where they strive for zero defects with programs like ISO9000 and other quality control methods) the fed is somehow concerned with 100 per cent compliance or ZERO defects.

THEY ARE NOT! Look at FEMA. All government agencies are at they're core inefficient. They will never deliver a good product or service except for you TAX return getting mailed out or trnaferred to your account after an E-file. That is about the only good thing they do.

They suck at prosecuting wars like the current conflict in Baghdad. They suck at procuremEnt. they suck at justice. (look how the system favors criminals)
They suck at filling potholes. they suck at agreeing on anything that is good for the people.

Since it is better than communism or fascism, I guess we'll have to take it.

But to redirect, the FAA doesn't give a crap about your concern to micromangae little !35s . They figure the market will put them out of business and the customers won't go near anyone unsafe. YES, IT IS AN EXCUSE AND IT IS VIABLE. IT IS TRUE IT IS REALITY. DEAL WITH IT!

Type of Enforcement

In my third paragraph in my first post I say exactly what you just stated about the fed being a tombstone agency. are you agreeing with me or debating me?

To answer your rebuttal re: It is NO EXCUSE!

Look, Again I say, the FAA is never ever and ( i don't care if there is a crash and a reg is violated) going to staff to the level which will provide the kind of scrutiny you keep insisting is necessary to somehow assure compliance or 100 percent adherence to. Period.

You are acting as if (like in manufacturing where they strive for zero defects with programs like ISO9000 and other quality control methods) the fed is somehow concerned with 100 per cent compliance or ZERO defects.

THEY ARE NOT! Look at FEMA. All government agencies are at they're core inefficient. They will never deliver a good product or service except for you TAX return getting mailed out or trnaferred to your account after an E-file. That is about the only good thing they do.

They suck at prosecuting wars like the current conflict in Baghdad. They suck at procuremEnt. they suck at justice. (look how the system favors criminals)
They suck at filling potholes. they suck at agreeing on anything that is good for the people.

Since it is better than communism or fascism, I guess we'll have to take it.

But to redirect, the FAA doesn't give a crap about your concern to micromangae little !35s . They figure the market will put them out of business and the customers won't go near anyone unsafe. YES, IT IS AN EXCUSE AND IT IS VIABLE. IT IS TRUE IT IS REALITY. DEAL WITH IT!

The type of enforcement you have described is SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT.The lawyers will LOVE IT!!!

Part 135 and FAR compliance can't be used in the same sentence, I have worked for at least ten 135 operators and not one complied completely with the FARs, as a matter of fact my very last 135 employer has been brought up on a Federal rap (and the DM) for falsifying maintenance records at our Air Ambulance, along with bank fraud. The biggest operator (135) I worked for was part of the Mesa Group of Farmington, NM., some of the most flagrant law breakers I've ever worked for, they're all the same in my eyes.

Sounds like you worked for Roy.

Get violated to help The Company,
and the only company that will have you is That Company.
Then they gotcha by the short hairs.

Latest resources

Back