Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyingdutchman said:
Axel, Sir,

There are some 10.000+ hour grey airline captains out there to you know who don't know sh*t about flying...

FD

Agreed. Thus the 5% rule caveat

Flying_Corporal said:
Axel,

Many captains who "overstay" at the regionals can't move anywhere else because of some "glitch" in their background (DUI, failed PC checks, etc.). They're sometimes the ones that have been flying for too long. They sometimes don't adhere to checklists and do crazy stuff, like the ones described in this thread.

The new FOs tend to do everything by the book.

FC.

Agreed. See above. And generally you are correct about the new FO. However the 5% rule applies to the FO as well and that was to whom my original statement was directed. It would appear that I have touched at least one nerve.

Last edited:
Jet_Driver said:
What is the lesson to learn? Think of the people in the back first, your ticket second, and the psycho in the left seat last. Then, call pro standards immediately after block in. Commit to never flying with the guy again. I know a lot of you guys are on probation and you're afraid of having a bad mark. That should be your last concern. The chances are pretty high that pro standards and management have had conversations about this guy. They want to get rid of him too, but can't unless they have enough 'dirt' on him. This guy is protected by the same union that you are. He has protection up until the point where the union is tired of listening to stories from F/Os and Flight attendants. Another thing, don't be afraid of walking off the plane. Nothing gets fixed if you "tough it" for that one extra turn with these guys.

New FO's, listen carefully to what Jet_Driver has to say. I "toughed it out" for 18 days with a captain before before the inevitable happened, safety was irrevocably compromised, and I found myself in the hotseat, fighting for my hide. When you tell yourself "someday this guy is going to kill someone," consider that it might be tomorrow, and you might be stuck in the same flaming wreckage.

mamba20 said:
Anyone else think that Axel is part of that 5%?

My thoughts exactly.

Cardinal said:
New FO's, listen carefully to what Jet_Driver has to say. I "toughed it out" for 18 days with a captain before before the inevitable happened, safety was irrevocably compromised, and I found myself in the hotseat, fighting for my hide. When you tell yourself "someday this guy is going to kill someone," consider that it might be tomorrow, and you might be stuck in the same flaming wreckage.

AMEN BROTHER, PREACH IT.

This is exactly my point. CRM is here to stay, and some of you other guys (except Axel) have it right. You old crusty Captains (H.P. especially) need to straighten up and listen. FOs know what's what. I don't know who said it, but they were right, FOs are more by the book than most of the CAs out there. We're closer to training and too junior to slack off and take our job for granted. That keeps us sharp. The point is SAFETY should be everyone's concern. You may not realize the safety problem your first time out with H.P., or possibily even the second, but once you recognize the problem, nip it in the bud. Make a pack with yourself, NEVER NEVER NEVER again. It's management's problem, not yours. Your job is NOT on the line when safety is concerned. Don't let management scare you into thinking so. Don't let probation scare you. Call pro standards, you can remain annanymous if you so desire. Let PS counsel you if you are afraid.

Power to the FOs!

Actually, he is a nice guy, but for someone who obviously arrived here in a ship with FTL capability, he sure doesn't like going faster than 180 knots...

I thought so too until he told me if I had a problem with him flying every leg I should call the CP. I'd flown with him a couple of times before, and could care less if he wants to fly the thing by himself. I just don't expect to be spoken to in that matter without provocation. I didn't say a word to him other than the usual small talk. After that happened, I said nothing but the required callouts. Didn't call the CP either, but if he says something similar next time we're paired up, I will be calling pro standards.

I'm not the only F/O he's spoken to in that matter either.

As far as the 180 knot thing goes, he and I had a discussion about that once. I have to say I liked his reasoning on the matter.

OPECJet said:
As far as the 180 knot thing goes, he and I had a discussion about that once. I have to say I liked his reasoning on the matter.

Oh, I gotta hear this, it must be better than the other CHO based Captain thats afraid of clouds!

Av8rPHX said:
Mesa has bases in PHX,DEN,CLT,IAD,BNA,PHL and GJT

OK I'll take a crack at it:

PHX = America WEst Express
DEN = United Express
CLT = USAir Express
IAD = United Express
BNA = ???
PHL = USAir Express
GJT = I have no idea where this airport is

How'd I do?

OPECJet said:
After that happened, I said nothing but the required callouts. Didn't call the CP either, but if he says something similar next time we're paired up, I will be calling pro standards.

I'm not the only F/O he's spoken to in that matter either.

If you know you're not the only one, I would go to Pro Stan's NOW. Why wait for him to be a prick again? Unless you really suck (and I doubt you suck that much) he has no reason to take every leg from you and give you an ultimatum. A guy like this needs to be taken down a notch, and the reason he's still doing it is because too many guys have said that "next time they'll do something about it." I know it's hard as an FO to do this, but guys like this make the job SUCK. And it's not your fault.

Sorry this sounds like a Lifetime special, but you get the drift.

Latest resources

Back