Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WSurf

The Smack Down!
What going on over there with the J4J folks? I just listened to the MEC Code-A-Phone update for 5 Dec. and it has this in it!

Item 2. The MEC reconvened its fourth quarter meeting today in Charlotte. The First order of business was to hear from pilots in good standing. After Calvin Dilks, the Piedmont MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC on Piedmont issues, The MEC then dealt with a union issue concerning J4J PSA Pilots.

The US Airways MEC has been informed that PSA J4J pilots have not been represented equitably by the PSA MEC and its committee structure and furthermore, have been subjected to what has been termed "cultural harassment."

Additionally, PSA is the only Jets For Jobs participant that requires its J4J pilots to serve a probationary period. Mark Stanley, the PSA MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC, at which time the MEC told Captain Stanley in no uncertain terms that they will not tolerate the disparate treatment that our pilots are facing, and reminded him that every jet PSA flies has come from the sacrifices of the J4J US Airways pilots.

The MEC then passed a resolution saying that until the representational interests of J4J pilots on the PSA property are resolved to the satisfaction of the US Airways MEC, the PSA MEC chairman will be denied any further access to the US Airways MEC.

The OLD MEC is responsible for the J4J's being here. Yet they blame Mark S. for the slotting? I just don't get it. 99% of the J4J's are great to fly with and yes the Jets might not be here if not for them. But as for the new J4J's that came from Mid Atlantic... If they have a right to be here then so be it. But lets give them seniority based on Date of Hire. There are plenty of F/O's at PSA that have been in the US Airways system long before these new hire Captains. Just because someone said it was OK for the new J4J's to come here doesn't make it right that they step ahead of the F/O's that were hired before them.

To be honest...I dunno. The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of the CEL pilots to the J4J ranks. If the mainline MEC expects us the line pilots to be friendly to them (professional yes but not friendly) then they can kiss our a$$. Aside from that there is no difference in the treatment of J4J pilots and PSA pilots. Maybe the complaints stem from the fact that such a large number of J4Js are on reserve, but they need to realize that reserve sucks for ALL pilots at PSA not just them. We suffer just as much as they do.

If you want my personal thoughts, most of the complaints I hear from J4Js come from 4-5 pilots who are total a$$clowns. It's not that they are being treated any different than any other pilot, but that they are simply egotistical a$$holes who treat there fellow crew members VERY poorly (especially flight attendants). This poor treatment includes demeaning and yelling at them for no legitimate reason. This small group is typically made up of those who were at US Air for only a few years before they were furloughed. I have no sympathy for those few pilots but I guess they are the ones with the mainline MEC's ear. If the mainline MEC wants to know whats really going on at PSA they might want to talk with the flight attendants who are subjected to repeated harrasment from these pilots.

The great majority of the J4Js at PSA are OUTSTANDING people! They are very professional, a joy to work with, and their addition to this airline has improved the way our company runs. It's just a shame that a very very small majority of them gives them a bad name.

Thanks, I was just curious being a PDT brother why that was thrown in the Code a Phone!

Ya know, it is utterly futile.

Good luck, PSA.

Last edited:
To these new CEL guys:

If you don't like that on Day 1 at PSA you are sitting in the left seat, holding a line and making at least double what anyone else is making when they arrive at PSA, then leave.

Bad part is that the actual APL guys that may need the job now no longer have a shot at it.

I fall into that catagory, furloughed USAir, passed on the J4J the first time, but since then got hit by another furlough stick. However I am not eligible for any of the new seats, only the guys that never flew an airways mainline jet are.

What going on over there with the J4J folks? I just listened to the MEC Code-A-Phone update for 5 Dec. and it has this in it!

Item 2. The MEC reconvened its fourth quarter meeting today in Charlotte. The First order of business was to hear from pilots in good standing. After Calvin Dilks, the Piedmont MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC on Piedmont issues, The MEC then dealt with a union issue concerning J4J PSA Pilots.

The US Airways MEC has been informed that PSA J4J pilots have not been represented equitably by the PSA MEC and its committee structure and furthermore, have been subjected to what has been termed "cultural harassment."

Additionally, PSA is the only Jets For Jobs participant that requires its J4J pilots to serve a probationary period. Mark Stanley, the PSA MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC, at which time the MEC told Captain Stanley in no uncertain terms that they will not tolerate the disparate treatment that our pilots are facing, and reminded him that every jet PSA flies has come from the sacrifices of the J4J US Airways pilots.

The MEC then passed a resolution saying that until the representational interests of J4J pilots on the PSA property are resolved to the satisfaction of the US Airways MEC, the PSA MEC chairman will be denied any further access to the US Airways MEC.

What sacrifice is that may I ask? What sacrifices have the JJ's made to bring jets to PSA? If the JJ program did not happen then the only thing I see that they sacrificed is sitting on their @ss at home collecting unemployment or even worse, flying for scumbag airlines (Mesa).

The shaft that the FO's at PSA got during this process is the only sacrifice I see here. The only misrepresentation in my eyes is the neglect that PSA FO's suffered and continue to suffer to this day.

Don't get me wrong I have seen alot of sacrifices being made by US mainline pilots such as loss of pensions, work rules, paycuts etc.. But that is only through the gross incompetence of management throughout the years pre and post 9/11.

It has little or nothing to do on what is going on at PSA. These JJ's walk on the property as captains (APL and now CEL-Mid Atlantic)Some slotted in seniority and also hold training and checking and even management positions at PSA. How is that cultural harrasment? Besides mainline ALPA or PSA ALPA, aren't we supposed to work together rather than point fingers and threaten each other? I say Grow the f*ck up and work together to find a solution rather than this constant whining and crying that is going on.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
What's going on at PSA?

Some A-hole pilot that got fired from PSA for legit reasons claims he was not fairly represented by the PSA MEC. He cried to the US Airways MEC that he did not recieve support from his local reps at PSA and also claims that a hostle work enviroment exsists at PSA for J4J pilots. Rather than ask the PSA MEC their opinion of the matter, the US Airways MEC passed a resolution stating it would no longer talk to the PSA MEC. The funny part is -- if the Mainline MEC halts talks on flow through, they will be in violation of the J4J protocol. If that happens the PSA MEC could throw slotted bidding out the window as early as the next monthly bid. The AAA MEC is willing to risk harming all the J4J pilots on property at PSA because they choose to believe the story of a few malcontent J4J over the PSA MEC.

Latest resources

Back