PSA Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all,

There seems to be quite a bit of misinformation in this thread as well as in the information that the members of the AAA MEC are using to base their decisions on.

First off, with regards to the J4J probationary period, this was not the idea of this or any other MEC Chairman or Representative. If you take the time to actually look at the agreements and LOA's that deal with the J4J protocol you will find clear language that makes the local working agreement apply in all cases that are not directly addressed by the provisions of the protocol. Probationary periods for APL pilots are not directly addressed in these documents, hence our book applies, including the section regarding probationary periods. This is not a conspiracy by the MEC, it is the legal application of the provisions of the agreements between the parties.
It is important to note that without prompting by anyone at AAA, and with the expressed intention to NOT treat J4J and PSA pilots differently, this MEC approached the company about reducing the probationary period for ALL pilots at PSA. The company refused. Again, this demonstrates this MEC's dedication to equal representation of all PSA pilots.
When approached in September about the issue by AAA MEC Chairman Jack Stephan, I told him very clearly that this MEC would address the issue. I also told him in the very same conversation that I had grave concerns about creating an environment of seperate and unequal treatment in this regard, something we are now being accused of, and I informed him of our previous attempts to modify this provision with the company. In keeping with my committment, we did consider the issue, we weighed the concerns of our membership and representatives, and we weighed the legal considerations with regard to the renegotiation of contract provisions in this regard with the company and other entities, as well as the stewardship of our Association members in general, and in the end we were able to secure a verbal committment from the company to honor the fact that this MEC does NOT require a probationary period for J4J pilots and therefore it would not require one either. Our recently passed resolution just formally expresses that existing sentiment of our MEC. The obligation of change remains with the company.

Secondly, with respect to the issue of equal representation by this MEC, we have always provided representation to ANYONE who asks for it, be they J4J or not, and whether they are on probation or not. When the final adjudication of some cases, including J4J, do not go in the favor of the pilot, this does not constitute a breach of the responsibility for fair representation by this Association unit nor a criminal conspiracy to willfully and intentionally harm J4J pilots, as some members of the AAA MEC have alleged.
Furthermore, with respect to the case cited regarding the elegibility for ALPA insurance benefits by one of our members, while the specifics of the case must remain confidential for obvious reasons, the alleged problems with coverage center around events that occured in the 3rd quarter of 2004. You are reminded that I began my tenure as MEC Chairman in January of 2006. This coverage issue has only recently surfaced, and when it did, it was immediately addressed by this MEC. While we have not as yet resolved this case, it is actively being purseued. Again I add that the events in this case are not unique to any segment of this pilot group and do not constitute any discrimination on the part of this MEC.
Finally, I would also like to point out that there have been, and there currently are, J4J pilots actively involved in our ALPA committee structure.

While no volunteer structure is perfect, the historical record and the facts do not support the charges that have been made with regard to willful and intentional discrimination of J4J pilots at PSA or a lack of fair representation, especially under my administration.
The misconceptions that abound are not unique to one group either. There are "indigenous" PSA pilots that do not understand or accept the history and provisions of the J4J protocol and the very real benefits that it has provided to all of us. This program is a symbiotic arrangement that allowed US Airways Group pilots, PSA included, to weather the storm of 9/11, two bankruptcies, and an extremely challenging economic environment; and to emerge a stronger, profitable, and more competetive entity. We have gone from death's door to profitability and this program has been a real and significant factor in that turnaround. It has not been easy on any of us.

Undeniably, what this recent discourse has shown is that unless and until a professional and cooperative relationship can be maintained between all US Airways Group pilots, PSA, AAA, and PDT alike, we will all be unable to achieve the highest rewards of our very hard work and appreciable sacrifices over the past several years. The PSA MEC continues its committment to facilitating this relationship and addressing the concerns of all our pilots.

In closing, I implore everyone to refrain from useless name-calling and unproductive engagements that hamper this MEC's efforts to foster and maintain these relationships. Do not participate in, and do not be swayed or goaded by the incindiary, hurtful, petty, and uniformed remarks that some pilots make. Those remarks are not the position, officially or unofficially, of this MEC and its committee structure.
I would also like to assure our J4J brothers and sisters that they can rely on this MEC and thier representatives to address their concerns. However, you must give us the opportunity to do so. If you have a problem, let us know. If you don't, we can't be effective on your behalf. Talk to those that have availed themselves of our assistance and you will discover that we will do whatever we can to assist you.

As always, if you need to talk directly to me, pick up the phone or send me an email.

Fraternally,
Mark Stanley
PSA MEC Chairman

You know, the big dogs at US AIR MEC, they don't do the hiring, Scott Kirby had already said the only pilots they will hire will be coming from PSA AND PDT. So again the US MEC doesn't hire, America west management does, so they can kiss it!

Wow, so the AAA MEC pushes us and our MEC ran to TK to get the year probation lifted? TK blessed it and our MEC passed a resolution so no more year probation for J4Jers?

Nice to see that when AAA MEC says jump we say how high.

You know, the big dogs at US AIR MEC, they don't do the hiring, Scott Kirby had already said the only pilots they will hire will be coming from PSA AND PDT. So again the US MEC doesn't hire, America west management does, so they can kiss it!

Haven't heard this one, I did hear Parker say that they would hire off the street if needed. When did Kirby say this?

Wow, so the AAA MEC pushes us and our MEC ran to TK to get the year probation lifted? TK blessed it and our MEC passed a resolution so no more year probation for J4Jers?

Nice to see that when AAA MEC says jump we say how high.

Maybe our MEC didn't think it was a big deal. What is the big deal about being on probation anyway. Maybe TK wasn't even aware of it. Like most things.

Latest resources

Back