PSA - Possible Safety Alert?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stick Man said:
Are PSA crews allowed to leave a jet unattended (on a ramp) with the door shut and APU on for 45 mins?

If they are - um . . ok.

If they aren't, the crew of N246PS (Mon at DCA) needs to get their heads out of their asses. What a freaking prescription for danger.

.... and ya know.... for the longest time... I thought Lowecur was the biggest tool on this board. Huh.... who knew?

At Indy, we're not allowed to use the APU. Somebody found out it costs money to run an APU. So in the grand tradition of J-32's, J-41's and Dorniers (usually with broken APU's) - we don't use them and it's now considered a sacriledge to run the APU for anything other than engine start.

Hot, cold - we don't care- you just paid $39 for a seat and you want Air Conditioning - yeah when we get the big engines running!

Running the APU for an hour - I'd get reamed by some widget in the company for wasting $60.

Bottom Line . . .

UNSAFE. This is unsafe regardless of policy. This is especially dangerous when the a/c is in close prox to others, fuel is being delivered and total reliance is being placed upon systems and "redundant systems".

There was absolutely no crew on board - I watched them leave the plane and heard the inbound crew for the plane (45 mins later) call in-range.

Ted - I walked over to the a/c and verified that the crew had left the a/c (the CA had a flight to catch - I assume to go home due to what I heard on his in range call). I watched the FA and FO leave and close the a/c. The reason that I noticed the situation is because appx. 15 mins after the crew left, I noticed a blinking yellow light in the cockpit on the glareshield. My crew thought it was a fuel truck rotating beacon reflection. Then I noticed exhaust fumes from a running APU. That's when I walked over to the a/c, flagged down a Ramp Super and queried.

Poor - I talked to ops and no one responded back to me when I let them know the a/c was still powered up.

FmrFrieght - I am not second guessing the crew. I am second guessing the saftey of a decision or a policy you FUKC. I will worry about my own stupidity and continue to follow my better judgement and my GOM/FAR's in that order. Safety, Cerificate, Company is what I've practiced for 14 years. It's worked so far. Regarding "calling the crew out by tail number on a public forum is a good way to get someone in trouble with management", if they deserve to get in trouble - so be it. My allegience is not with the company or with management or with any pilot individually. It is with the pilot group as a whole. And the pilot group as a whole should always be on the side of safety as well as policy. I question the SAFETY of the crew/airline on their "procedure" or the shortcomings of the crew if it was an "error". If it was a shortcoming, I hope that bringing attn. to it will rectify this situation. You, my friend, if you believe that quality evaluation and assurance of performance doesn't belong on a forum, are the "Idiot". Regardless if the crew was indirectly identified or not. PM me and we can chat more freely about it if you want.

Last edited:
tarp,

You answered my question. I flew one of our airplanes for an A check in Smyrna. The company dead-headed me from BNA to home. The gate agent walked us out to the DO-328, operated by your former ACA, and it was dead dark, in the dead of winter, and it was pretty cold. I sat in my seat and asked myself, "Why don't these dorks start the APU and give us a little heat?" Now, you have answered my question, and the dorks aren't the pilots, after all.

Stick Man said:
UNSAFE. This is unsafe regardless of policy. This is especially dangerous when the a/c is in close prox to others, fuel is being delivered and total reliance is being placed upon systems and "redundant systems".

There was absolutely no crew on board - I watched them leave the plane and heard the inbound crew for the plane (45 mins later) call in-range.

Ted - I walked over to the a/c and verified that the crew had left the a/c (the CA had a flight to catch - I assume to go home due to what I heard on his in range call). I watched the FA and FO leave and close the a/c. The reason that I noticed the situation is because appx. 15 mins after the crew left, I noticed a blinking yellow light in the cockpit on the glareshield. My crew thought it was a fuel truck rotating beacon reflection. Then I noticed exhaust fumes from a running APU. That's when I walked over to the a/c, flagged down a Ramp Super and queried.

Poor - I talked to ops and no one responded back to me when I let them know the a/c was still powered up.

FmrFrieght - I am not second guessing the crew. I am second guessing the saftey of a decision or a policy you FUKC. I will worry about my own stupidity and continue to follow my better judgement and my GOM/FAR's in that order. Safety, Cerificate, Company is what I've practiced for 14 years. It's worked so far. Regarding "calling the crew out by tail number on a public forum is a good way to get someone in trouble with management", if they deserve to get in trouble - so be it. My allegience is not with the company or with management or with any pilot individually. It is with the pilot group as a whole. And the pilot group as a whole should always be on the side of safety as well as policy. I question the SAFETY of the crew/airline on their "procedure" or the shortcomings of the crew if it was an "error". If it was a shortcoming, I hope that bringing attn. to it will rectify this situation. You, my friend, if you believe that quality evaluation and assurance of performance doesn't belong on a forum, are the "Idiot". Regardless if the crew was indirectly identified or not. PM me and we can chat more freely about it if you want.
Do some call you Cindy Brady you tattle-telling Fooker?

All this time I thought you were being really clever by Saying PSA is an acronym for Possible Safety Alert.

Alas, I was wrong.Now go get your Fuc%ing shine box!

Who are you to tell other pilots what to do. Our GOM say's we can keep ours running and unattended as well, the APU has it's own fire suppression, and shut down logic............it will take care of itself! It's pilots like you that make pilots like us look bad!

Queried........HAH!!!

Edited b/c I felt I was being too mean...........and I spelled something wrong b/c I'm dumb.

Last edited:
Possible that the crew for the outbound flight was delayed. I've left 'em running when I've been told the outbound flight is in, say, 25 minutes. That's pretty common, and I'm sure there are times when the outbound crew is an hour late. OH FREEKIN' WELL!

Stick man, with a grand total of 00000 hours, you're pretty full of your self. Is it possible that you haven't been in aviation long enough to have any real perspective on what you are talking about? Do you know what a cycle costs on an APU?

MYOB, dude. You have no idea what the big picture looks like.

Dick Man said:
Are PSA crews allowed to leave a jet unattended (on a ramp) with the door shut and APU on for 45 mins?

If they are - um . . ok.

If they aren't, the crew of N246PS (Mon at DCA) needs to get their heads out of their asses. What a freaking prescription for danger.
Stick Man,

Mind your own business you POS. Idiots like you should be tossed in the sewer where they empty honey carts. You speak of safety and integrety on the line and you're petty enough to call a crew out on a public forum? You're a tool. I feel sorry for your coworkers...do they know there's a snake in the grass?

Stick Man said:

Bottom line, the way you did this was STUPID. If you had a legitimate problem with it, get ahold of their union's professional standards. At least try to keep it in house Calling it out on a public forum, with tail number and all, deserves what you are getting. As far as the blinking yellow light, it could have been from almost anything with the APU running (EFIS COMP MON, HYD LOW PRESS, etc.) We rely on redundant systems on a daily basis, why is this different? The APU is in a titanium fire box, auto shutdown, auto fire suppresion, plus a horn goes off when the bottle fires to alert people. I have been told by many people that the Challenger is left with the APU on all the time. CRJ is just a big Challenger. My FOM/Ops Specs prohibit it, so I don't do it. If it allowed it, I would feel comfortable doing it. Worry about your own first. While you are snooping around other people's business, you don't know what/who is looking at your operation.

Bottom line, your concerns "may" have been valid, the way you went about it was dumb.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back