• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smarta$$

FedEx Pilots Approve Contract
[FONT=arial, helvetica]By Ted Reed[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]TheStreet.com Staff Reporter[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]10/17/2006 5:00 PM EDT[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]URL: http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/transportation/10315643.html[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Pilots at FedEx (FDX) overwhelmingly approved the company's four-year contract offer, as 94.6% of them voted for ratification. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]The contract includes 18% pay raises over four years, starting with 9% the first year, for the 4,700 pilots. Additionally, pilots get signing bonuses as high as $30,000 for a senior widebody captain. Nearly 94% of FedEx pilots participated in the voting. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We focused on maintaining contact with our pilots and their expectations and working very hard with FedEx management to arrive at ... a sustainable contract," David Webb, chairman of the FedEx unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, said during a news conference Tuesday. He noted there was "no significant public confrontation" with the company. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]The contract will take effect Oct. 30, marking the completion of a negotiating process that began more than 30 months ago. The conclusion came quickly, however. Once negotiators at rival UPS (UPS) reached a tentative agreement in June after nearly four years of talks, a preliminary deal was struck at FedEx in August. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]FedEx acknowledged relatively early that pilots deserved a pay raise, Webb said, and hourly rates weren't discussed until near the conclusion of the talks. The crucial issues were retiree health care and job security, he said. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Pilots got "seamless" health care from active status through retirement, as well as job security that Webb called "the crown jewel of our accomplishments." It includes a contract with the parent company, rather than with FedEx Express, and an agreement that "they will not create an alter-ego airline." [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Webb said FedEx and UPS "are at the top of the pay rate right now," far exceeding salaries at the legacy passenger carriers whose pilots once ruled the roost. He declined to discuss why only 56.5% of UPS pilots supported their contract, which he said was roughly similar. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Industry sources speculated that UPS suffered from going first in negotiations, establishing a framework that was easily adopted by FedEx. The UPS talks also were hampered by dissension among the pilots. In its talks, UPS had to make up ground to catch up with the rates paid by FedEx. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Last month, FedEx reported that earnings surged 40% for its fiscal first quarter, which ended Aug. 31. During the quarter, the company anticipated the contract's approval and took a 20-cent-a-share charge, equivalent to about $145 million, for upfront expenses including the signing bonus. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]In a prepared statement, FedEx Express CEO David Bronczek said that "FedEx Express and ALPA have worked tirelessly over the last two years to reach what we all believe is a competitive and mutually beneficial contract." [/FONT]

Proof that mainline pilots are watching what you girls at gayjet are doing and they dont like it. Stop the lies and the spin. Clearly you are regarded a threat to this industry.

Now you will tell us all lies about all the gayjet pilots being hired by Fedex and the Fedex pilots have nothing against goatjet pilots. Lies.

For anyone thinking about going to this company, look carefully at how they are viewed by this well respected major cargo airline.

For the record, I was furloughed from TSA because of GOatjets. I am at a new airline now and will never forget what you guys did. I have over 30 years remaining in this buisiness and will always do my part to make sure you do not advance. Their are alot more that feel like I do than you think.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif [URL]http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/buttons/report.gif[/URL]

Last edited:
This is a very good thing. It's in some airline contracts and it needs to be flat-out mandatory wording to prevent another g0jets catastrophe from ever happening again. We've got enough to worry about in this line of work without having to watch our backs as a holding company plays hot potato with pay and planes amongst its own employees, and a segment of the employees (g0jets... original freedom) allows it to happen.

Definitely smart to get a contract with the holding company and not just the airline. Glad to see someone's learning from the goings on in the regional industry.

Definitely smart to get a contract with the holding company and not just the airline. Glad to see someone's learning from the goings on in the regional industry.

The Mesaba pilots did just that with MAIR Holdings. XJ MEC was able to negotiate an agreement with MAIR that Big Sky would fly aircraft no larger than 19 seats. Anything larger was to be flown by XJ seniority pilots... So you've gotta hand it that that MEC for some foresight into upcoming issues affecting the regional airlines.

This is a very good thing. It's in some airline contracts and it needs to be flat-out mandatory wording to prevent another g0jets catastrophe from ever happening again. We've got enough to worry about in this line of work without having to watch our backs as a holding company plays hot potato with pay and planes amongst its own employees, and a segment of the employees (g0jets... original freedom) allows it to happen.

If only we had something concrete like that in place before the Regional Jet destroyed the industry. Oh wait, we did, and it still didn't work!

No fan of Go -jet, but it is a very very very very fine line between them and what the "respectable" regionals did to the majors. Not alter ego but the same "I'll fly it for nothing just to get the jet" attitude.

Sad part is we now have an entire generation of airline pilots (1999 to current newhires) at the regionals that have no idea how bad they hosed up their careers by accepting such garbage payrates just to get a dog like the CRJ so they could be a jet pilot.

In the end we will all pay the price, not just the Go jet goobers.

If only we had something concrete like that in place before the Regional Jet destroyed the industry. Oh wait, we did, and it still didn't work!

No fan of Go -jet, but it is a very very very very fine line between them and what the "respectable" regionals did to the majors. Not alter ego but the same "I'll fly it for nothing just to get the jet" attitude.

Sad part is we now have an entire generation of airline pilots (1999 to current newhires) at the regionals that have no idea how bad they hosed up their careers by accepting such garbage payrates just to get a dog like the CRJ so they could be a jet pilot.

In the end we will all pay the price, not just the Go jet goobers.

Mainline pilots gave up the scope to fly those RJ's. TSA pilots never gave up their scope. Very different.

The problem with pay is that regionals are subcontractors and are always subjuct to the lowest bid. There is always another regional that will bid less. This would not be an issue accept that Legacy's keep asking regionals to rebid for there new and existing flying. by putting it up for bid it makes it almost impossible too push pay up. Mainline pilots through brand scope or other means could help put an end to the endless bidding, but they would rather just bitch about regional pilots flying the jets they gave away.

Also, regional pay is relative to mainline pay. In other words, if a mainline pilot made 60,000 as a captain then a regional pilot certainly would make much less than that. But what have the mainline pilots done with their pay? Given much of that away as well as scope. Both of those give aways are very detrimental to regional pay. So basically everything is stacked against us, and yet you still want to blame us for this and semi-defend gayjets. NO

OK, the 250 hour wonder pilots are not helping but they are far from the root cause. As you can see by another recent thread that a 3 year corporate pilot is looking to get intoo the regionals. We see this alot as well as small cargo flyers and CFI's that actaully put some time and effort into this career. So it is not all the pilot mill 250 hour loser.

Bottom line is that gayjet pilots screwed over the TSA pilots from within their own holding company. Fedex, as well as other companies have taken notice and they get no defense.

I'm no contract lawyer, but isn't this just a move from the FedEx pilots just trying to stop alter-egos in general? I thought someone was telling me that FedEx pilots are pretty nervous that some of their overseas stuff was going to get contracted out.

Because as their contracts get more and more expensive, alter-ego's are gonna be alot more tempting. These guys were smart enough to get ahead of the power curve. TSA should have been this smart last time around.

Anyhoo, solid scope language ought to be boiler-plate for all ALPA contracts, no?

Mainline pilots gave up the scope to fly those RJ's. TSA pilots never gave up their scope. Very different.

Yet another history lesson needed......oh well..

No it was not so different after all.

My carrier is typical of what happened,

Time line:

CEO approached pilot group about RJ's, Pilot group says sure, when do you want to negotiate a pay rate? Simple task really, already had an F-28 and F-100 payrates in the contract...just add a CRJ and buy all he (Ceo) wants.

(CEO) No No No, you do not understand, I want them at the regionals!
Pilots: Sorry no, we fly all the jets.

CEO: But that means hiring more pilots and furloughing the regional Wholly owned guys.

Pilots: No, just add then W/O guys to the mainline list and then buy all the RJ's you want.

6 months go buy, constant contract violations etc etc, pressure to release authority for 20 CRJ's to lowest bidder.........Pilots still say no, we fly all jets.

In the mean time every regional partner pilot is out for our head because we will not "give" them the jets...jumpseats get hard to get for mainline guys at contract and wholly owned carriers.

12 months go by, pilot group finally relents and tries to get jets for Wholly owned partners only in limited numbers, in exchange for payrate increase and retirement increase. 20 jets total or so.

Jets end up going to lowest bidder(not a wholly owned)....scumbag pilot group takes delivery of first CRJ's in our airlines history and agrees to Capt. payrate lower than the 2nd year F/O rate we had on the F-28!!!

Fast forward 2 years and still limited and controlled number of RJ's......CEO drags company down with poor decisions and takes us through planned BK and publically states that "RJ's are Union Busters!"

BK judge allows freeforall guts contract, kills the retirement and allows nearly unlimited RJ's to fly for us.

6 count them 6 pilot groups quickly step up to the plate to whore them selves out so they can fly the jet....for alpo wages.

What part of the above story says "Mainline gave up the scope willingly"???

As I said, the Go jet story is very very very familier to thousands of furloughed pilots out there.

EDIT: Smart a$$.....You gotta be kidding me!!! Just looked over your posts!!! You have been an airline pilot a grand total of about 10 months and you are spouting off about "Mainline gave up the scope"!!!!!!!

Judging by your posts and hire date you were still in school when all that happened, maybe even high school!

There is a good chance that I have been furloughed since before you were a Private pilot!!

I suggest you lay off the militant attitude until you are at least off probation!

Sheesh.

For the record, Go jets IS worse than what happened to us.....but not by much, same software program.....different version, RJ infestation was version 1.0....Go- jets is version 1.2. I hear mgmt. is already working on version 2.0!

Last edited:
Why has it taken this long for carriers to implement this? AWAC has a contract signed in 2001 with this same language.

Latest resources

Back