Procedure debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is all I found.4-4-10. Adherence to Clearance
c. The term "AT PILOT'S DISCRETION" included in the altitude information of an ATC clearance means that ATC has offered the pilot the option to start climb or descent when the pilot wishes, is authorized to conduct the climb or descent at any rate, and to temporarily level off at any intermediate altitude as desired. However, once the aircraft has vacated an altitude, it may not return to that altitude.
I don't think it is "required" but we do it as a curtsey.

5-3-3. Additional Reports
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

Rice is one smart MOFO, and an EASy expert...and hell even if he reeks like Curry, I agree with him.

You have made the required report when you acknowledged the Descent clearance, even if you wait another 5 mins for VNAV .

Its a courtesy call.

Hence usually a quick "roger" when you make it. They wont re-issue the clearance or confirm anything. They really dont care IMO.

Has anyone ever not made the courtesy call right away and gotten questioned or violated for leaving altitude? I never have....sometimes it takes 500-1000ft to get room on the frequency and all you ever get is "roger"...

Just my .02

Last edited:
In this case a 'vacating' call would be redundant and for that matter, not required.

[/QUOTE]
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

When a controler gives you a PD clearance and you accept it, at that time you've accepted the entire clearance limit for that block altitude. Also, by accepting the PD clearance you have vacated the previosly assigned altitude. You are no longer flying at that assigned altitude and are now opperating in the block altitude.

[/QUOTE]This is all I found.4-4-10. Adherence to Clearance
c. The term "AT PILOT'S DISCRETION" included in the altitude information of an ATC clearance means that ATC has offered the pilot the option to start climb or descent when the pilot wishes, is authorized to conduct the climb or descent at any rate, and to temporarily level off at any intermediate altitude as desired. However, once the aircraft has vacated an altitude, it may not return to that altitude
.[/QUOTE]

So with that being said, in your block altitude that you've been given you could temprarily level off 10 times if you wanted to, but in the same sense you're not required to give a 'vacating' call after every time you do.

I think you owe him a beer.

Last edited:
hmmm the usual legal quandary that pilots face...
its not in the FARS, but IS in the AIM.
"AIM is not regulatory".....BUT some say the FAA has busted people for what IS in the AIM.....a de facto statement that the AIM IS INDEED REGULATORY!!!

You have made the required report when you acknowledged the Descent clearance, even if you wait another 5 mins for VNAV .

Not to be an azz either, but where do you guys find that just acknowledging the clearance suffices as the report?

I hate questions like this because if you get into the nitty gritty, you can interpret it a million ways. I do report vacating on PD because I consider it vacating an alt. I always get a roger or thank you for it too. I think there is a greater chance of getting dinged for NOT reporting than there is FOR reporting.

I do it because controllers are human (and are prone to forgetting too). I also state my descent if I have been handed over to another controller prior to starting the PD descent.

Not to be an azz either, but where do you guys find that just acknowledging the clearance suffices as the report?

Because when you acknowledge the clearance, you are no longer flying at an assigned altitude.

well... reporting leaving from an altitude saved us going in to TEB on the Jaike arrival. Cleared to decend per the arrival and the PF saw the VS gettting pretty high to make WACKI at 11,0'00 and 250 Kts, So he said "I am starting down" and I report the alt. leaving. Phlly answers you have to maintain 13,000 to ILENE, but don't worry about it, many folks miss it. Well, I caught it right as he was saying that and reported that we see that now and are still level at 13,000. Moral of the story, it can save you and be careful out there on those arrivals.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back