• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

copilot says no, I say yes.
You are given PD to a lower altitude.
You continue at cruise altitude 10 mins then start down.
A 'vacating' call is required by the regs.

Do I owe him a beer?
top marks only to referenced responses.

I once flew with a guy who announced after every drink: "leaving beer 3 for beer 4" etc... After that, I thought anyone who reported vacating an altitude was a ******************************bag. But I think it is a reg nonetheless.

OK, so if it's is required by FAR, which FAR? (Serious question, I'm not being an azz.) I thought the only place this is discussed is in AIM 5-3-3(a)(1)(a).

While not specific , FAR 91.183(c) says that:

Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, the pilot in command of each aircraft operated under IFR in controlled airspace must ensure that a continuous watch is maintained on the appropriate frequency and must report the following as soon as possible—
(a) The time and altitude of passing each designated reporting point, or the reporting points specified by ATC, except that while the aircraft is under radar control, only the passing of those reporting points specifically requested by ATC need be reported;
(b) Any unforecast weather conditions encountered; and
(c) Any other information relating to the safety of flight

one could infer that vacating an assigned altitude, while descending to another assigned altitude, in a timeframe as determined by the pilot and not the controlling authority(ies) would constitute a safety of flight issue and be covered by (c) above....

While not specific , FAR 91.183(c) says that:

Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, the pilot in command of each aircraft operated under IFR in controlled airspace must ensure that a continuous watch is maintained on the appropriate frequency and must report the following as soon as possible—
(a) The time and altitude of passing each designated reporting point, or the reporting points specified by ATC, except that while the aircraft is under radar control, only the passing of those reporting points specifically requested by ATC need be reported;
(b) Any unforecast weather conditions encountered; and
(c) Any other information relating to the safety of flight

one could infer that vacating an assigned altitude, while descending to another assigned altitude, in a timeframe as determined by the pilot and not the controlling authority(ies) would constitute a safety of flight issue and be covered by (c) above....

I could be wrong, but I disagree. The controller is saying: you are at X altitude, and when you're ready descend to Y altitude. ATC is giving you both altitudes and everything in between. Although I do report vacating altitudes, I don't think its required.

IMHO and that of my crusty old "On-wing" instructor in the Navy, it's not required by FAR or the AIM since you've already acknowledged the instruction when responding to the original clearance of PD FLXXX.
That said, I usually let'em know just for the hell of it unless the freq. is slammed.

Latest resources

Back