Probably a stupid question... wing inspection lights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
By posting this you did notice, so in effect it does accomplish what it is intended to do, notice the airplane.

I'd notice the airplane without the light on. But do you really think it would prevent a collision in broad daylight?

I think they are turned on day and night to keep the flows the same, as someone mentioned earlier. That makes sense. But I don't think it would prevent a collision during the day. If you can't see a 737 coming at you closer and closer during broad daylight, byu the time you'd notice the wing inspection light it'd be too late.

However, at night it very well may reduce the chance of a collision - after you miss the strobes and beacon flashing, and the steady nav lights, plus landing lights.

Spooky 1 said:
How do you do your flight control check, i.e., before you start the taxi or what. On the 67 at least you must have to get the flaps out to check the OB aileron movement, so do you just wait for that to happen before moving the airplane? Just curious as I am looking for a better way and I agree that less is better after you start to taxi.

I'm not a CAL pilot, but I've ridden the jumpseat on the widebodies a few times. From what I recall, only the 737 does the Flight Control check after pushback. The other aircraft do it at the gate before pushback. Maybe the CAL guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, SWA also has a before takeoff checklist, which is about 5 additonal steps. Takes all of 15 seconds.

Cardinal said:
Two Beech products collided at the 90 degree instersection of two runways in Quincy, Illinois during takeoff.

Close, but not quite. The GLA -1900 was landing on RWY13. The King Air was attempting to takeoff on RWY 4. I'm sure that's what you meant to say.

SCR

Most Captains were I fly taxi to the gate with the wing inspection/ice lights on not so much for other airplanes but for vehicles. When we taxi in and out of our gate we have to cross the main tug/vehicle road. Its like a rush hour all the time. We have had several near collisions in the past few years, most of those have occured at night. But to ease the captains flow they operate them all the time.

FR8mastr said:
Has there ever been a collision with one aircraft overtaking another from the 5 or 7 oclock position?

USAir landing ontop of a Metro at LAX comes to mind...

He definitely did overtake the Metro!

I think the wing inspection lights are also a good idea for takeoff because someone on short final to the runway would see then prior to you making the 90 degree turn for line up. I.E. the only lights that point sideways are a good thing to have on as you are taking the runway and are aligned perpendicular to anyone that might be landing on you.

No taxi check, I like the idea but it doesn't seem practical.

When do you move the flaps? In the ramp area? With no Taxi check when does the check list call to check the setting? The line up check, on the runway, when cleared for T/O?

For CAL:
When departing Rome or any other European city, the clearance is not given out until you are taxing. When is it checked in the FMS and briefed? With no taxi check, is all this done from memory?

at SWA, once we are pushed back, both engines started, and the tug is clear.

then, we move the flaps, do the control check, and run through the 5 items of the before taxi checklist. takes about 30 sec front to back. Still have ~4 items to do just before taking the runway (transponder, etc) that can't/shouldn't be done earlier, but it is a really nice cklist set up.

Some Brasilia pilots at Skywest taxi around with the darned inspection lights on... even during the day!! Then they burn out and ground the aircraft. We can't fly in icing conditions at night with even one burned out inspection light. I use them for takeoff at night, but taxiing around with the darn things on is taking it a little too far... in my opinion. While on the subject of lights, I always crack up when I see a 747 taxiing around during the day with their taxi light on. "HOLY CRAP!!! I would have never seen that 747 in my way if that guy didn't have his taxi light on!" :)

Latest resources

Back