Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

President of Regional Airline Assoc. says regional pilot pay "fair and reasonable"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Cohen-

I just wanted to drop you a brief note concerning your public comments made to the media and in testimony to public officials.

I find a couple of your public comments disingenous at best and outright lies at worst. I'm sure you have many years "in the business" as do I, so I won't waste time listing my extensive background in the Part 121 world.

First of all, you stated that regional airline pay is "fair and reasonable?" Certainly you are joking? I don't know if you've ever tried to live on regional airline pilot wages (I have) but I can assure you that they are neither fair nor reasonable, especially considering that the typical regional airline pilot has the debt associated with a 4 year degree and probably $50,000+ in flight training expenses. Further, if Colgan's compensation was "fair and reasonable," they would have been able to attract more qualified pilots than the pilots found in the cockpit of the fateful Buffalo crash that has attracted so much attention. You and I both know that there has been a large oversupply of pilots in this country for about 2 decades now and airlines like Colgan could have EASILY hired pilots with thousands of hours of experience had they simply paid a reasonable wage. Instead, they decided to work "on the cheap" and decided to hire and retain one pilot with a history of checkride failures and another with minimal experience. Yes, Mr. Cohen, pay at regionals like Colgan are so "fair and reasonable," that the two pilots in this example crash were the best, brightest, and most experienced the industry had to offer. Or perhaps, maybe you are mistaken, and only the inexperienced and those with "checkered" pasts are the only ones that accept employment at bottom-feeding airlines like Colgan with their "fair and reasonable" wages?

I also heard you state that there is "one level of safety" between the regionals and majors. Considering your experience in the business, cetainly that statement was a mistake as well? Again, you and I both know that there has NEVER been one level of safety between the majors and the regionals. There has been, perhaps, "in theory" but certainly not in reality. The hiring of extremely inexperienced pilots in order to "save a buck" aside, where is the RAA's public statements DEMANDING that all of its members have FOQA and ASRS programs, for example? Certainly if there was "one level of safety," the RAA could have demanded that years ago but again, you and I both know that will only happen when enough tombstones have been laid. I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore your secretary any further as I'm sure you are well insulated from the realities the rest of your constituent's employees deal with every day. One level of safety makes for nice soundbites though, huh Mr. Cohen?

In closing, I have a suggestion for the RAA. With all due respect, I think you are poor representative for your organization, considering the many statements you have made to the media and in testimony. I would suggest that the RAA do what many of your member airline do.....furlough you and replace you with someone fresh out of business college with little or no experience in the real world. Pay him $20,000 - $25,000 per year (certainly a fair and reasonable wage- I mean paramedics make that much!) and save your members some money on their membership fees. Certainly if it "works" for your member airlines (well, except for Colgan) certainly it will work for the RAA?

Regards,
xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

Who the F! is this guy!? Been in this "industry" for 8 years and I have no idea what the regional airline association is, but lately this ****************************** is saying all the wrong things that would help ANY regional.

My thoughts exactly. Who and what is the regional airline association?

Guys... with respect you need a smack down......

Your airline career is determined by others such as Cohen and May (May is President of the ATA). If Cohen is saying this publicaly, then he is taking all of the PAC money given to him by the regional airlines that are members of the RAA and talking directly to congressmen about keeping pay low. Where do you think the regional airlines get the money to give to the RAA?

They get it from the revenue generated by pilots who work for fair and reasonable wages.

If you don't get it... here is some help.... the money that you generate for your company is used against you to keep your wages low. The more you are paid, the less money airlines have to lobby congress to keep you pay low. The harder you work at low wages, the more money is generated to be used against you.

Said simply.... you are paying for your political demise....

The RAA was formed in 1975 to lobby congress for regional airlines.

The ATA was formed in 1936 to lobby congress for legacy airlines.

ALPA was formed in 1931 to lobby congress. The ATA was formed in part to counter ALPA's effectiveness.....

The fight for your poltical career has and will be on CapHill......

You can be shocked and angry when tools like Cohen make statements... or you can get involved... understand how the game is played... and be a player instead of being played.....

Fight back or be a tool..... the choice is yours..

I have a friend named Vinny that makes a very respectable wage. Maybe I could arrange a meeting with him and Cohen.

W

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here but, how long does it take to get to one of those positions and how long do you have to slug it out as a cashier/burger flipper/fry cook/floor mopper?

Greetings...Most large restaurant chains have their own mgt training program which is on the job type training and approximately 2 to 3 months long for someone with a degree or similar experience. My prior life was working for Darden restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze, Smokey Bones) and it is a good company with great benes. A person can also work their way up as an hourly employee which takes a lot longer. Promotions are of course merit based, but it would'nt take that long to advance, maybe 3 to 6 years or so depending on company growth. Take care

My question is who the heck made this organization the spokesman for regional pilots. I guess congress could have easily brought in the TSA Chief and asked him the same questions. Talk about incompetent bafoons!!

who is this roger cohen? what is his email? what is his address? what is his phone number? every regional pilot should bombard him with calls, mail email telling him he is full of ******************** and should not represent anyone who is or ever was a regional pilot.

Contact

Regional Airline Association
2025 M Street, NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036-3309
Tel: 202/367-1170
Fax: 202/367-2170
[email protected]

let the fun begin, tell these a holes what we think of them

Latest resources

Back