Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

President of Regional Airline Assoc. says regional pilot pay "fair and reasonable"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lets face it, people running stores are in charge of money and a product. We're in charge of peoples lifes, if we kill them it doesn't really cost that much. A small payment, a couple of months of CNN reporting bad news, and insurance will be mad at you. Now manager of store, he can steal money for a long time, get the company sued, and ruin a product that is not really needed like flying.

Lets face it, people running stores are in charge of money and a product. We're in charge of peoples lifes, if we kill them it doesn't really cost that much. A small payment, a couple of months of CNN reporting bad news, and insurance will be mad at you. Now manager of store, he can steal money for a long time, get the company sued, and ruin a product that is not really needed like flying.

Unfortunately life's not fair, and we don't get paid what we're worth, we get paid what we can negotiate. If the market demands higher wages, we'll get them; if pilots are willing to work for nothing, we won't. It will eventually help when prospective pilots realize that making it to the majors is becoming as rare as making it to the NFL/NBA/MLB etc., and they need to decide if a regional career alone is worth it. It sure would help if ALPA would quit perpetuating the ponzi scheme, by at least advertising the reality of what being a pilot today means.

A requirement for an ATP for BOTH seats would help the supply/demand equation as well.

As long as you guys still apply for every open regional f/o position, pay will not go up. It doesn't have to. Supply and demand.

I have a friend that is a regional manager and is in charge of 15 chains.

$105,000 a year, annual raises, full paid medical, dental, vision, profit sharing, 401k..

Home every night..

Store managers make between 40-60k with full benes

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here but, how long does it take to get to one of those positions and how long do you have to slug it out as a cashier/burger flipper/fry cook/floor mopper?

Simple supply & demand.

I may have a few facts wrong so correct me if that is so, but several years ago in the aftermath of an ASA crash didn't 1 of their management personnel testify that $15.00 / hour was adequate compensation. When asked how he came to that conclusion, he stated something about how he could get more pilots than he needed at that pay, why should he pay more.

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here but, how long does it take to get to one of those positions and how long do you have to slug it out as a cashier/burger flipper/fry cook/floor mopper?

I'd be willing to bet an online 2 year business degree would trump the traditional "work your way up" path.

Sent to [email protected]

To Whom it may concern:

My name is XXX XXXX. I am an Embraer 190 First Officer for JetBlue Airways and type-rated as Pilot-in-Command in the Embraer 145 with 1800 hours of Regional Airline Captain experience. I have 7000 hours total flying time, 5000 of which is in scheduled part 121 service.

Mr. Cohen's testimony in the matter of the Colgan 3407 accident is dis-ingenuous at best, and an outright lie at worst. For him to testify that $17800 per year (my first year First Officer pay at Chautauqua Airlines), or $25600 (my second year pay) is "fair and reasonable" is disgusting. Does Mr. Cohen actually believe this is a "fair and reasonable" wage as stated in his written testimony? Mr. Cohen compares the piloting profession to occupations that have little to zero direct responsibility for human life. His testimony regarding fatigue rules and FARs is also disingenuous. Mr. Cohen has completely omitted the fact that pilots typically spend 2 hours on duty for every hour of paid flight time.

Additionally, his claims that Regional Pilots are trained to the same qualifications as Major Airline Pilots is laughable at best. I can directly attest that pilots for Regional Airlines are trained to the minimum federal standards while pilots at Major carriers are given extensive training above and beyond the minimum requirements.

Mr. Cohen you have perjured yourself before Congress. I'm certain you know the truth about the industry, and your lying now that the truth is coming to light is despicable. Rest assured I am part of a growing group of pilots with experience at both Regional and Major airlines who are working to assure that your lies will be exposed.

Sincerely,

Feel free to cut and paste at will. This clown needs about 17000 of these letters filling up his inbox. Now that the seedy underbelly is being exposed he is directly LYING about it.

Latest resources

Back