President Bush gets a trap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
black shoe brown shoe

the boat thing is a black shoe versus brown shoe, Black shoes being surface warfare officers and Brown shoes being aviatiors.
When you use the term boat in front of Black shoe they will normally correct you and tell you it is a ship. You tell you don't care what they call it as far as you are concerned if it floats it is a boat. I use to stand OOD (U) on CVN-65 and I always refered to myself a boat driver. The Captain even called it a boat. Brown shoe trivia. I was on watch at sundown on 6-30-76 somewhere in the pacific, which was the last day we were offically allowed to wear Brown shoes as aviators, the Flag Officer on board, a pilot, lead all 13XX's (pilots, NFO's) to round down and threw the brown shoes in the Pacific Ocean, a burial at sea more or less for the brown shoes, later of course they came back in the 80's. They then walked barefoot back to their ready rooms and put on black shoes. I may sure an offical logbook entry was made in the ship's log.

Re: Chunk

Originally posted by jarhead Heck, I still have some of my own slang from my days in the USMC, that one who never served there would even have a clue as to what I was talking about. But, whenever I am with another ex-marine (or current jarhead, for that matter) and I use some of those terms, he would know exactly what I was talking about with some of those strange terms and words.
[/B]

I'm sorry, but wouldn't the correct phraseology be FORMER Marine??

Yup!

that's funny.

I was planning to relay the message about "boats vs. ships" & the lesson being drilled into our heads by screaming DI's, but Jarhead explained it well. Have no fear, Jarhead, that after 40 years the Corps is still drilling the same knowledge into it's recruits! I would have made the same mistake about the whole boat/ship issue, as I learned the same lesson. I was unaware that there was an exception for naval aviators. Then again, we learn their traditions because the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. But thank God that just because we are a part of the Navy, doesn't mean that we are IN the Navy...just like the saying "just because you're part of the toilet, doesn't mean you're IN the toilet." I laughed my ass off when I heard that told to an irate seaman. As far as the rifle/gun issue, anyone confused should watch "Full Metal Jacket"..."this is my rifle, this is my gun...this is for shooting, this is for fun!"

'canfly
This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine...

.........Without my rifle, I am useless, without me, my rifle is useless....

cla=control logic assembly, controls a ton of stuff through algorithms, I think. an example, lose the right cla, you will not have a down and locked indication for the right main, flap indicator will not work, no approach indexers, no hook light, just a huge list of things that don't work, but just a totally random list

Re: Re: Chunk

Lucky said:
I'm sorry, but wouldn't the correct phraseology be FORMER Marine??

All the jarjeads I know always said there's no such thing as an ex-Marine, former Marine, or whatever. They say once a Marine, always a Marine. I thought that was pretty slick, but now I'm disillusioned to read about a jarhead who refers to himself as an "Ex-Marine"!

Latest resources

Back