President Bush gets a trap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Perhaps as slang....I agree. Still not proper.....it is a ship
You are suggesting that an aviator can call a destroyer or light cruiser a "boat" They also "float". They might, but it's improper in the technical sense of the word.

REWIND!

CLA failure...man, that's something I haven't thought about in a while! It was the left CLA that was critical, right? I still have my unclas NATOPS question bank around here somewhere...hafta test myself. It's only been since 99, but it fades away quickly!

...and yes, it's "the boat" or Das Boot if you're looking for variety, but never, ever "the ship." Makes you sound like a shoe!

Chunk

And by the same justification, the "News Stooge" can call an S-3B
a "jetliner"....right? Just cause you don't know any better, makes it OK. (Das Boot.....movie about a German submarine)

Caught the "3 wire" There are 4

jarhead said:
Perhaps as slang....I agree. Still not proper.....it is a ship
You are suggesting that an aviator can call a destroyer or light cruiser a "boat" They also "float". They might, but it's improper in the technical sense of the word.

In my 22 years in the Navy I never once heard anyone in aviation refer to a carrier as a ship. To one and all it was a "boat".

Re: Eagle RJ

jarhead said:
Careful about criticizing terms. You called an Aircraft Carrier a "boat" In the navy, the only time "boat" is a proper term, is when refering to a submarine or a lifeboat. An aircraft carrier is properly called a "ship".

Simple historical precedence, my friend.

Members of the air wing on a carrier have always referred to their ship as "the boat", just because it needles the sailors.

"Careful about criticizing terms. You called an Aircraft Carrier a "boat" In the navy, the only time "boat" is a proper term, is when refering to a submarine or a lifeboat. An aircraft carrier is properly called a "ship"."

And all this time I thought it was called a bo-at.

Latest resources

Back