• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

President Bush gets a trap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hmmm, 11 years in, and I was calling the carrier a "boat" when I should have been calling it a "ship", I guess the dog machine now puts out soft ice cream and a slider is now a hamburger, but I digress...Chunk, left/right CLA, when something fails, and there is a whole page in the plc of what fails, that's when I want to take the Lockheed engineer out to the shed and whip his a$$ for making such a stupid box!

Yeah....I remember that, but I remember that it was worse to lose one of them than the other. How about the PDP's? The jet would still fly, but what a bitch trying to do a mission if you crapped one of those. Ever reseat or swap one inflight?

Chunk<--Mauler

Go Bush

Who cares what you call it , nice landing,,,

Has any one made him an offier for the helmet he was using??? or had him sign theirs?:cool:

There are only two kinds of BOW-ETS!

Submarines and TARGETS.

and as far as this statement goes... and it IS funny, till a seaman is using a knife to cut you out of your harness so they can bag you and tag you, for mum and dad...

"Yup, out of every airman comes some seaman...."

I'm sure if you gave the Quarterdeck of Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit One or Two a call, they may have an even funnier slogan. Goes sumptin like dis homey...

"There are more Navy divers looking for pilots, than pilots looking for divers!".

Have a nice life and enjoy your Seaman!

A Boat vs A Ship

OK people, I surrender. You can call it a Huffnagle machine for all I care......still does not make it correct. I take my history lesson from over 40 years ago, when my Marine D.I. would push a rifle stock forearm into the side of my head, and and any other recruit who used the term "boat" for a naval vessel. I know that some jarheads today, will use the term"gun" when reffering to a rifle. Same "slap upside the gourd" if any recruit used that term in my day, with a screaming admonishment that if you were not referring to something with a 12" bore mounted to a turret on a ship, we'd best be calling our weapon a rifle.

Ah, but I digress. Time has passed me by, and the correct has now become incorrect, and incorrect has become correct, simply from common usage and slang. I still remember the days when
Westinghouse Electric Boat company made submarines, and Newport News Ship Building Company made surface craft. I've got an idea now, how Lewis Carrol got his inspriration for Alice in Wonderland. You know, "down is up, and up is down"

Peace to you all. Still, I think we can all agree, it looked pretty nice with the President coming in on the S-3

Great video and it was the Navy's day. How anyone could watch that arrival and not get a lump in their throat and feel a desire to be part of something much bigger than themself, I'll never understand. God Bless America!

Jarhead,

I understand your desires to keep things straight. I, too, cringe when people say gun rather than rifle, pistol, firearm, etc. However, using the term "boat" to refer to the carrier has a long and rich tradition in Naval Aviation. It's not a gen-x blame MTV for corroding minds issue;l "the boat" has always been "the boat." In fact, if we all started to call it a ship, then a tradition would truly have decayed and been lost. Maybe it's just that you were unaware of the tradition. That's possible, right?

Respectfully,

Chunk

PS-- D@mn Gyrenes....;)

Editor's note: Check out the Tailhook Association's website. It has a slang dictionary. Look under "B."

http://tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm

You got that right jarhead!

Our president is the jolly green giant. We have a leader... a MAN among MEN! It takes alot of work to look good in one of them suits and DAMM...Dubyah was the man yesterday.

There is NOT one country in this entire solar system that can boast much of an aircraft carrier, much less a fleet of them...or a video of their president walking around on it and looking like he belonged there. Usama? No...he can just film himself sporting an AK-74 Krinkov, with a bunch of dudes that need a serious shave and shower. Hell, even I can do that! Saddam? No...I don't think they have video cameras in hell. Fidel? get serious. He needs a serious BDU makeover. PUTIN? Ha. PUTIN...I won't go there. What? some Chinese leader or... heh...the leader of them scary ass N. Koreans. No.

Ha...you are right Jarhead, it was way super cool to see our president walking tall on the carrier. And WE put him there. From the welders that laid the keel of that ship...to the boys and girls that crew it, to the people that go to work each and every day, to pay the taxes to foot the cost.

I do feel proud.

There is just not a greater symbol of American military power and the ability to project that power than an aircraft carrier.

Chunk

I will defer to your knowledge of your "traditions". I was, however, aware that navy flyers always did, in fact, call their short runways, a boat. I knew that even being a lowly "grunt". Fine traditions we all have.

I am also aware, that many of the brothers in "the hood", call their women and girlfriends a "Ho". All the rap music seems to have engrained that as a "tradition" also. I just do not accept that term either, as a proper term for a woman. Maybe it's just me? I am not about to even try to change the culture of navy flyers, and their jargon. Heck, I still have some of my own slang from my days in the USMC, that one who never served there would even have a clue as to what I was talking about. But, whenever I am with another ex-marine (or current jarhead, for that matter) and I use some of those terms, he would know exactly what I was talking about with some of those strange terms and words.

We all have our traditions and slang. I still can differentiate between what is slang, and the meaning of slang, from the kings English and purist dictionery definitions. I agree though, that we ALL have our own "language" in our inner circles.

Latest resources

Back