• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preferential hiring for Comair pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What other age-old debates could we have on this thread?

SWA bubba

My nephew can't make it into his dream university despite a 4.0 GPA and all the other boxes checked. His crime, not being in a group perceived as in need of a preference. Read between the lines to arrive at the conclusion. One should be hired on merit and nothing else. If I've missed your point, I apologize but quotas, preferences and anything that wreaks of it doesn't sit well with me

Signed a former Marine

Ps, don't anyone thank me for my service, it was my privilege to do so.

SWA bubba

My nephew can't make it into his dream university despite a 4.0 GPA and all the other boxes checked. His crime, not being in a group perceived as in need of a preference. Read between the lines to arrive at the conclusion. One should be hired on merit and nothing else. If I've missed your point, I apologize but quotas, preferences and anything that wreaks of it doesn't sit well with me

Signed a former Marine

Ps, don't anyone thank me for my service, it was my privilege to do so.

Hey, I agree with you 100%. All I was saying was that his point was the NO one should get preferential treatment in hiring. And personally I believe that should apply to everything--universities, airline jobs, etc. But I like to believe in Santa Claus as well... :)

Bubba

When Brand X up in KDAY went Tango Uniform I got no preferential treatment from my ALPA brothers down in CVG, even though I willingly ponied up over 500 clams in a special "strike fund" assessment from ALPO. The only thing I got was some pencil-necked geeky 26 year old kid askin me "Why did I want to work at Comair" (ummm, I need a job?) and "Why should Comair hire me?" (Guess he forgot the whole strike assessment thingy, an me bein a fellow ALPO pilot an all)
I wish no will on anyone, but what comes around goes around in this bizness.

I will give you a pass on the bitterness if you tell me that you have access to those pillows.

Wave, thanks for moving the post when I put it in the wrong place and didn't have time to move it, you at least tried! In answer to the screaming brigade on here.....it's not preferential HIRING, it's a courtesy being extended to fellow ALPA pilots whose airline is now gone. Quite different from being furloughed obviously. It's not a guaranty of a job but I think the least we can do is offer interviews to the Comair pilots that are motivated enough AND really want to fly for Hawaiian to be given a chance at an interview. We have and will be hiring a lot of pilots. I know Hawaiian tries to be as fair as possible in hiring from various backgrounds. We have hired a LOT of ex AQ guys and it's worked out very well for them and Hawaiian. Haven't come across that many ex ATA folks though I am told they had the same status of being looked at if they applied. Again, it's not a guaranty, but an extra boost to your resume if you will. There are still a lot of pilots trying very hard to get hired here and it is a pretty daunting process if you ask me, but well worth it IF you want to work here.

The one critical thing anyone considering flying for Hawaiian should consider is the fact that we are based in HNL. Great for some, not so much for others. Most of us live in Hawaii, primarily Oahu but a significant amount of outer island commuters, primarily Maui. Over the years I've seen plenty of pilots come over from the mainland and end up loving living here but that is not always the case. The primary roadblock seems to be family and of course everyone's situation is different. You really need to factor in spouse, kids family when considering moving here. We also have plenty of commters from the mainland and for a some, it seems to work. Particularly if you live in a city we serve. Some live in place like PDX, LAS, or PHX and do mostly trips that layover at home.
It's way to complex to try and sum up the pros and cons of living in Hawaii and everyone's situation and perception is unique, just understand that you need to consider the fact we are an island state in the middle of the Pacific. I wouldn't live any were else, I absolutely love everything about living here, but it can seem pretty isolated if you really want to be somewhere else.
Hawaiian itself is a great place to work. All our flying is what would be either pretty senior or VERY senior at any other airline. We have a good contract and the will to preserve it and make it better. Management seems to know what they are doing and the future looks bright. The crews are by and large a friendly and laid back but professional group with a lot of experience and we have no internal battles going on. A bit of a rarity in this business!
Anyway, this is just one persons perspective after 26 years of living here and watching Hawaiian morph through all kinds of different persona's.

Bah, this is nothing...the old mil vs civ threads back in the day of the "one page" FI put this to shame.

Nu

By merit I meant qualifications. The best qualified for the job. No preferential hiring.

You know, there are adult learning courses that can help you with your lack of reading comprehension.

Or is it that you are such an anti-military nutcase that you lose all common sense and the ability to reason as soon as you see the word "military"?

Haha.. you are right, my bad...carry on squid. See you in PHX.

Latest resources

Back