Preboarding Jumpseaters on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T1bubba said:
Because in the past many of our captains/FA's asked jumpseaters to sit in the exit row.

Why do you expect offline jumpseaters to be familiar with our internal company communications? If all of this was common sense we wouldn't have had to come out with our new rules for exit rows last year.
I don't but if the employees would read company material they would know not to ask them. If requested by a specific captain then do it for that flight not all.

DH2WN said:
Why should the gate agents have to explain to you that you shouldn't be a selfish freeloader? Why should the gate agent have to treat you like a child instead of a professional who is getting a FREE RIDE?

Every airline with a union has taught it's new hires the aspects of jump seating. Talk to the captain, dress properly, sit in the back, get off last, say thank you.

It's really not that hard if you think about other people before yourself.

...take it easy DH2WN. I became a quick off the bat "jerk" for my comments on common sense. I just don't understand why this is so difficult. If you get a letter boarding card stapled to the jumpseat form, then board with the group. This means you have ALREADY been verified, cleared, green light, GO. If you want to say hello to captain crusty, go for it. Do I want a great seat when I commute, HECK YEAH. Do I want my bags to make? You frickin bet. Do I hate checkin my busted PNS? Yes. But Come on... "take the space before a pax does!?!?" That's a pretty crappy thing to say. Common sense. Let the revenue pax get the exit row. They stand in that A line for like 5 hours for that thing. If I'm the only one that thinks like this, then so be it. Fire away.

Boy, this thread sure generated a lot of responses. Let me just clarify a few things:

When I receive my boarding pass, I only preboard when the agent says that I can. If not, then I do in fact board according to my group.

I always talk to the captain and request permission to ride the jumpseat. Sometimes they tell me to preboard and sometimes they don't.

If I do preboard, I always preboard last after all of the revenue passengers do. I don't always sit in the emergency exit row, I sit in other seats as well.

Lastly, I appreciate all of the feedback received. Many folks on this site seem to want to jump on everyone's case as soon as a question is asked. I have been in this business for over 15 years so jumpseating is not new to me. I was just trying to clear up any misunderstanding. Again thanks for the feedback.

northstar said:
...take it easy DH2WN. I became a quick off the bat "jerk" for my comments on common sense. I just don't understand why this is so difficult. If you get a letter boarding card stapled to the jumpseat form, then board with the group. This means you have ALREADY been verified, cleared, green light, GO. If you want to say hello to captain crusty, go for it. Do I want a great seat when I commute, HECK YEAH. Do I want my bags to make? You frickin bet. Do I hate checkin my busted PNS? Yes. But Come on... "take the space before a pax does!?!?" That's a pretty crappy thing to say. Common sense. Let the revenue pax get the exit row. They stand in that A line for like 5 hours for that thing. If I'm the only one that thinks like this, then so be it. Fire away.

You got everything backwards.

DH2WN said:
That's what all airlines want and have dictated for years. Why is it pilots feel they have the right to ride for free? It's a privilege and in the fight for every single paying customer it's proper for free riding jumpseaters to get the worst seat, in the back, next to the toilet, getting on last, getting off last, checking your bag if you have to, staying out of the way of the FAs, be happy you have it, and say thank you to the captain when you leave.

Otherwise, pay for a ticket.

Pilots don't feel that they have the right to ride for free. Pilots KNOW, that as a part of negotiated agreements with management and between differing airlines union groups, they have jumpseat privileges. You're showing your lack of industry knowledge here my friend. I agree that the jumpseat isn't a guarantee, and I'll certainly agree that paying customers get dibs on the best seats, period. But you need to get off of your high horse and have a little empathy for the thousands of your fellow pilots who commute. BTW, most don't commute because of a desire to live out of base, most commute because they've been based in ten different places, with five different airlines, in the last eleven years. You were good enough to get on at SWA, congrats. Others were good enought to get hired by other first rate carriers but now find themselves "underemployed" and commuting to another new base, etc. Please don't assume that jumpseaters are just cheap freeloaders out to take advantage of your company.

regards,
engima

TR4A said:
I have been emailing the SWA Jumpseat coordinator about our current policy. He said OAL jumpseaters board last as in DEAD last after all passengers. I was shocked.:eek: Maybe we can get this changed. I would just wait and see what the ops agent does.
That's why I simply board the aircraft as soon as preboarding looks like it's trickling to an end. Whether the gate agent has told me to or not.

I've spent the last 7 years in command of a 121 aircraft and I really don't like last-minute jumpseaters who show up 5 minute before we're supposed to be closing the door. I'm busy, yet the FOM and FAR's require me to check your paperwork - the gate agent is, 9 times out of 10, NOT trained enough to recognize which licenses and medicals are bogus or not.

I introduce myself to the crew, stow my gear, then stay the heck out of the way on the jetbridge or, more often than not, chatting with the crew until most if not all the pax are on board and seated, then take my seat as the flight crew starts to get busy in the last couple minutes. Makes things MUCH easier.

DH2WN, you DO know that you come off as a real tool, don't you? Guess the Southwest interview process isn't as seamless as we thought. You must be SOME kind of pilot if you can tell someone who works for a DIFFERENT AIRLINE how to interpret THEIR manuals.

And yes, there are two airlines I can think of right off-hand who check your paperwork at the counter and DON'T EXPECT you to check in with the Captain. It's in their manuals that way for OFF-LINE jumpseaters.

You also ASSume that EVERY airline gives a thorough jumpseat briefing during indoc - all 3 of my 121 carriers I've worked for never said jack crap. We had to pull the military guys and people straight out of 135 or 91 work and teach them the ropes before they went out and pissed off some other airlines.

Don't tell the world how EVERYTHING is, the reality is you only truly know your small corner of it.

/rant

The silver lining of sitting in the back :):

It makes it easier for the FA's to keep your coffee cup filled
Most of the FA's are socialable
If the plane isn't packed, most PAX gravitate to the front so you can have your peace and quiet and not feel squeezed

Lear70 said:
I'm busy, yet the FOM and FAR's require me to check your paperwork - the gate agent is, 9 times out of 10, NOT trained enough to recognize which licenses and medicals are bogus or not.

And what kind of training do you have to recognize a bogus license? In all of my years, I dont recall any training on this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back